Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Car Seat Dilemma....any ideas?

Car Seat Dilemma....any ideas?

Old Dec 16th 2010, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of
Default Car Seat Dilemma....any ideas?

Hi,

I will be travelling to Auckland via Melbourne mid February. I don't know whether to ship the childrens car seats with the rest of our stuff or take them on the plane to OZ then on to NZ - bearing in mind I am travelling alone with the children. I will be in Melbourne for a couple of weeks, so will need car seats - I have found a website where I can hire some - do you think it would be easier to do this??

Don't know if any of you have done some thing similar? - How did it work out??

Thanks
Old Dec 16th 2010, 1:27 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Seat Dilemma....any ideas?

Are you coming from the UK on this trip? If so, your car seats wont be legal in Australia, so hiring them might be best. I don't know about NZ but you'd better check legality of UK car seats in NZ as well.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

A.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Are you coming from the UK on this trip? If so, your car seats wont be legal in Australia, so hiring them might be best. I don't know about NZ but you'd better check legality of UK car seats in NZ as well.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

A.
Hi Alistair - Yes we are coming from the UK - Thank you for that as far as I know the seats are ok in NZ - I have looked it up and it all seems ok - unless anyone else knows different?

Hiring in OZ it will be then
Old Dec 16th 2010, 6:04 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

How did you look it up? Just curious about that because when we took the wee one back we were told we had to use NZ approved seats, not the canadian ones (even though the Canadian one was superior imo).
Old Dec 16th 2010, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Kiwilass,

I got it on here: http://www.childrestraints.co.nz/law.php#nz who did you speak with about them not being legal? Maybe I should look a bit more and find out for sure before I take them.
Thanks
Old Dec 16th 2010, 7:11 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to encourage lawlessness or dangerous practices, but if anyone in NZ stops your car and checks it and then charges you with having a non-approved seat then I will be gobsmacked.

It's a kiwi thing.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
I don't want to encourage lawlessness or dangerous practices, but if anyone in NZ stops your car and checks it and then charges you with having a non-approved seat then I will be gobsmacked.

It's a kiwi thing.
Thanks whingingpom - I've also looked on kiwi websites and they sell the same seats that I have!!
Old Dec 17th 2010, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

We are flying with Air NZ in April. Having spoken to them the car seat and pushchair are shipped for free, thus not part of your overall weight allowance.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Hi,

Not sure if this helps, but we didn't want the hassle of carrying car seats, plus luggage plus 3 kids onto the planes and around the airports. The hire car company who we used actually lent us 3 seats for free. We then bought new kids seats here and I will use my old UK ones (if they are good to use here) as a set for a second car once they arrive on the container!

Good luck with whatever you decide, there is just so much to think of, but it all does come together in the end
Old Dec 17th 2010, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
We are flying with Air NZ in April. Having spoken to them the car seat and pushchair are shipped for free, thus not part of your overall weight allowance.
Thanks for that - are you taking your car seat out there? Did you speak to anyone about it? Or just what you have looked up yourself?

Where are you heading in April?
Old Dec 17th 2010, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dave77
Hi,

Not sure if this helps, but we didn't want the hassle of carrying car seats, plus luggage plus 3 kids onto the planes and around the airports. The hire car company who we used actually lent us 3 seats for free. We then bought new kids seats here and I will use my old UK ones (if they are good to use here) as a set for a second car once they arrive on the container!

Good luck with whatever you decide, there is just so much to think of, but it all does come together in the end
Thanks for that dave - The one's I have are being sold on NZ websites so I think that they are ok but will have to do some more research.

My head is spinning right now with everything going on and I feel like its all not going right - I do hope everything just falls into place
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Si19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud of

You can hire seats from Plunket in NZ, a lot of parents do this rather than buy them, they are fully tested before being put back into use. If you google plunket in the city/town you are planning to live you can get contact details, for arrival if you have a hire car you can get them from the companies just be very clear that you want proper seats and not a polystyrene job that a firm tried to give me this year...
Old Dec 19th 2010, 11:10 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Any seat compliant and marked to European Standard ECE 44 is acceptable according to the NZTA site.

Complete guff to suggest only NZ approved seats are acceptable as NZ approved includes E-marked seats....

NZTA Child Restraints page
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Si19761
You can hire seats from Plunket in NZ, a lot of parents do this rather than buy them, they are fully tested before being put back into use. If you google plunket in the city/town you are planning to live you can get contact details, for arrival if you have a hire car you can get them from the companies just be very clear that you want proper seats and not a polystyrene job that a firm tried to give me this year...
Thank you
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by simonsi
Any seat compliant and marked to European Standard ECE 44 is acceptable according to the NZTA site.

Complete guff to suggest only NZ approved seats are acceptable as NZ approved includes E-marked seats....

NZTA Child Restraints page
Thank you Simonsi!!! Thats great to hear! I think I will send them on in the container and hire some while we are in oz hopefully they will arrive in NZ by the time I get there with the children - if not I'll hire some there also

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.