Reload this Page >

car seat at the airport

car seat at the airport

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

kiwigirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default car seat at the airport

Hi,

I am a single mum with a 15 month old son and i will be returning to New Zealand with him in the next few months. I am getting stressed about how to deal with all the luggage at the airport as well as him !

I have bought a car seat for the plane and was wondering how i actually get about the airport with it as well as my luggage and my son in a stroller.

Does anyone have any experiences on this topic or have used the airlines "meet and assist" service for this purpose (if it's possible )

i was also considering using a baby backpack but then i guess this would count towards hand luggage more than stroller would.....

Not sure if I can take all this stuff on board the plane....

Help !

This is a difficult time for me as i am leaving the uk due to separating from my husband so i could do with one less thing to worry about ! ......
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of
Default Re: car seat at the airport

Hi kiwigirl

When my two were younger, I used to have one in a stroller and one in a backpack when I went on holiday. There were never any problems with them. The stroller and backpack were taken as we entered the plane and were at the door when we got off.

You could possibly ring the airline to see if you could take both.

Foxy
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kiwigirl
Hi,

I am a single mum with a 15 month old son and i will be returning to New Zealand with him in the next few months. I am getting stressed about how to deal with all the luggage at the airport as well as him !

I have bought a car seat for the plane and was wondering how i actually get about the airport with it as well as my luggage and my son in a stroller.

Does anyone have any experiences on this topic or have used the airlines "meet and assist" service for this purpose (if it's possible )

i was also considering using a baby backpack but then i guess this would count towards hand luggage more than stroller would.....

Help !

This is a difficult time for me as i am leaving the uk due to separating from my husband so i could do with one less thing to worry about ! ......
Hi kiwigirl,

I travelled to new zealand from ireland with my 1 year old and 3 year old, ON MY OWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't have carseats but I had lots of luggage. I got my family to help me to the gates in ireland. I checked everything in except the buggy and kids of course all the way to nz. I travelled direct and got help from a girl when I got off the plane in nz to help me to the meeting point where my husband was waiting. It was tough going but it was something I was hoping i wouldn't have to do again in a hurry!!! Ring your airline and see what they offer. If they dont offer anything you'll be surprised how many passengers will help. On our travel back I also had lots of stuff including carseats which we were allowed to check them in as well as the buggy free of charge. Most airlines allow this but you should check anyway just to see. We went with Singapore Airlines and I cant say enough good about them. From luggage allowance to entertaining the kids onboard the plane. They were really great.

Best of of luck and keep me updated on how you get on with everything!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwigirl
Hi,

Help !

Hi
We came her almost two years ago with our daughter, who was 2 then and we brought our stroller, BUT had to check it in !!! check with the airline on the facilities they offer for strollers in the airport.
Air New Zealand, you need to check the stroller in at the same time as your bags.
BA is the same
Quanta's the same but both had "loan" strollers you could use in the airport

We flew here with Emirates who allowed us to take the stroller on board!! but had to take it back off in Thailand when we stopped there as the last stop before OZ

Hope this helps

Hope this helps
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

There is a lot of confusion even using the same airlines!

We brought the stroller on with Air New Zealand, and it counted as our daughters carry-on luggage, but we were allowed it on board.

The car seats, when I asked, would also count as carry on luggage and thus we couldn't have a stroller and a baby seat for our daughter.

If you get any advise, get it in writing as it seems to vary between whom you actually ask, just in case you get a 'no' at check-in.

Lou
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

we too took our stroller on board with air new zealand - went in overhead locker.
with malaysian we left it at the gate and it was waiting for us within the baggage collection area when we got to NZ.

What about one of the hip slings - might be easier - I'll see if I can find a link. (http://www.swankeltd.com/ or http://comfortfirst.com/p-42393-the-...-shipping.aspx )

we took car seats with us on malaysian but not for use on the plane - we found it easier without cos then the children could lay down and sleep - we checked them in as luggage (the seats, not the kids :-) ) and they were weighed in but i can't remember whether they formed part of the baggage allowance or not.

The first time we got a shuttle bus to take us from airport to destination in NZ and they supplied car seats (pre-booked)

Good luck with your journey
Vicki

Last edited by Joshlin; Jun 3rd 2009 at 10:02 am.