British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Car rental Christchurch airport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/car-rental-christchurch-airport-909020/)

kingacat Feb 9th 2018 7:15 pm

Car rental Christchurch airport

Can anyone recommend a good car rental company at Christchurch airport area?
Has anyone used the company Omega? They are coming up in the Google search.
Also can I use my own NZ car insurance? Or do I need to pay for the companies insurance?
Thanks for any help. :starsmile:

Bo-Jangles Feb 9th 2018 8:05 pm

Re: Car rental Christchurch airport

Originally Posted by kingacat (Post 12438676)
Can anyone recommend a good car rental company at Christchurch airport area?
Has anyone used the company Omega? They are coming up in the Google search.
Also can I use my own NZ car insurance? Or do I need to pay for the companies insurance?
Thanks for any help. :starsmile:

You would need to check the terms of you own insurance to see if you are covered for rental or otherwise think about how you might afford the excess of anything between $3000 - $5000 - with all horror stories around charges from rental companies for small dings and scrapes and the driving standards over here I would advise never try and scrimp on being insured to the max.

I would also look for some real customer experience in online reviews at Tripadvisor, Facebook Pages and such like, to get a feel for any trend of them being unreasonable or having a whole raft of horror stories in their wake; especially if not familiar with the car hire firm or brand (many of then ultimately belong to the same company).

Justcol Feb 9th 2018 11:12 pm

I've always used apex, they are very good
I had a slight issue with one of their cars, they drove a replacement to me straight away from Invercargill to Dunedin The last time I used them at Auckland they gave me a free upgrade as the car I was having hadn't been cleaned
your insurance will not cover hire cars Take out the zero excess option for peace of mind. If you go for real bargain bucket price you will end up with a 10 year old wreck

Mishclark Feb 10th 2018 5:13 am

I always use Apex as well and have done so since going there in 2007 each year and whilst waiting to buy a car when I lived there. I just booked Apex at CHCH airport yesterday as I'm arriving for 11 days on 4th April.

They aren't the cheapest but aren't the most expensive either, and I like their customer service, she gave me a discount because I have used them many times!

Michelle :)

Snap Shot Feb 10th 2018 1:05 pm

Jucy car rentals do an 'El Cheapo' deal. We had one it was really good. Yeah, it was a ten year old, 'jalopy' but bouncing over the pot holed roads in Christchurch it didn't really matter !

They are available to rent at Christchurch airport. That's what we hired when we turned up in NZ Autumn 2011. (Then ended up having to return it to save costs as we couldn't afford to rent it any more. Living the dream, bro !)