Car Rental

Old Jun 18th 2010, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Car Rental

Originally Posted by Persephone
Had a quick look on costs in a couple of weeks and the ferry is $48 for foot passengers and $157 for a vehicle <1.8m long plus passenger [cheapest price].
well, the Interislander ferry website says it is $157 for a vehicle <1.8m high!

Methinks a typo there.....

I will probably buy now that I have looked at ferry prices for me + car vs just me flying!

I realize that a private dealer may be cheaper, but until I know NZ, I may go to a dealer. At least they are supposed to be fairly decent quality after checks and all that..... Besides, I only want a little Toyota Starlet or the like! Cheap runabout (for now!)
Old Jun 18th 2010, 2:48 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Rental

Honestly if you've just got here, then buying a car is a risky business. There is a lot of rubbish and some downright dangerous cars out there.

If it was me I'd rent until you were settled in a job, and take your time looking for a good car.....and although you'll pay more, I'd buy from a dealer.

That way is safer...

...then when you have settled and made some mates, I'm sure you'll find someone to provide inside information on what to buy and where from....

(There's a thread somewhere about a expat that bought a car and it's costing them thousands just to keep it running)

Oh and to be green and save money, look to see if you can use public transport to get too and from work. I picked where I live based on the ease of getting to work amoungst other factors...and haven't regretted it