Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Car Mayhem is getting worse in New Zealand (if thats possible)

Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riots in Dunners

Originally Posted by pascalr
And some of us don't like living here so na na na na na I'm going to throw a bucket of poo over your head

?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riots in Dunners

Originally Posted by Browner_
No, Im sure you do.

But you live in Palmerston North!

It may suit you, but are you gonna tempt those upwardly mobile expats?

Why do I live here? Well I have NZ wife and kids for a start.

I have an english wife but managed to convince her of the merits of a life in NZ over a life in Northampton..Fortunately I was equally as persuasive as right. Life in NZ CAN be really, really good. I often have to pinch myself to appreciate it is NOT a dream. NZ as ever is full of shite, I guess I do a great job avoiding the shite (apart from being $140k down).

I would never try to tempt anyone to live here..Palmy is way from nirvana for most folk..ask me and I will sing its praises. It just happens to work for me and my family. Personally I would recommend many other places over Palmy. Its a very personal thing my love of this strange place. I have invested 4 years of hard work in my life here thus I think its great as has Kate. I can see why most think Palmy is a dump..most have not put in what I have..thus they cannot see the positives of living here.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Car Mayhem is getting worse in New Zealand (if thats possible)

Well, I dunno. I've never lived in Christchurch but visit often. It's a beautiful city with a cultural heart, but yes it is boy racer paradise. The big problem with the cops coming on too heavy handed is that most of these kids are just that. They aren't evil thugs. They often come from nice families. A heavy handed approach is almost guaranteed to get local thugs siding with the little boys because they want to nail the cops. They are teenage kids, and while it might be annoying, they do grow up, but if they get offside with the law it follows them. I guess if you live there and don't have teenage kids that won't matter to you, but as the mother of three teens I feel it.

Re Dunedin. This toga parade has been going for ages with no trouble. It's virtually an icon. This year some elements decided to create trouble and it didn't come from the University. Dunedin is a town I have walked around with my kids at night after Gym competitions. Mostly, it's a leafy Uni town with lots of students who occasionally do crazy things. That would never put me off living there. The thing that would put me off is that it is so damn cold in winter, and the sea isn't even that warm in summer.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:43 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

What an eccentric relationship with reality.....bliss
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting personal arent we?

For someone who is apparently in West Yorkshire, how can you argue with my views on somewhere I have lived 6 years?

I hope you dont buy a leaky house next to gang members or racist neighbours or get taken out by a hoon when you get here, and I hope you manage to get a job earning more than $10 an hour which is at least half of the responsibility of what you had in England.

Ha Ha

You shouldnt be too smug about other peoples experiences.

As for the vomit and faeces, that was what was thrown at the fresher students in Dunedin yesterday.
Yep that's right !
I'm a real smart ass Yorkshire lass!
You know the saying- You can tell a Yorkshireman- but you can't tell 'im much!
As for you living? in NZ for the past 6 years- we may well have bumped into each other, as we have spent three to four months of each of the last 6 years in NZ. There again we may not have had the pleasure of your acquaintance.
Us Yorkshire folk are very thorough when it comes to sussing a place out (and avoiding loud and aggressive persons)!
I really can't for the life of me understand why you have remained where you are obviously so unhappy.
Please don't blame your wife for making you live there.
If she is a kiwi, surely she would have known the area and its problems before you settled there.
Do you think you might be going down with something and feeling a bit tetchy and damned annoyed at all these 'happy Brits' loving NZ?
Most of us who have yet to settle (not long now ) know NZ has problems but have the sense to look at them in relation to everything else it has. To weigh up the pros and cons, and to avoid certain areas just as anyone moving to a new area would.
You obviously hate it- now if we can't sell our house - how about you renting it from us for a year just to get a feel of what it's like back in the UK at the mo. Don't forget your returning residents visa, 'cos you'll be using it.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:32 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

I'll repeat the question I asked earlier in this thread..

Given that so many people seem to hate NZ so much that they wouldn't recommend anyone to move here and that the rest of the world seems to be turning to crap, where would you recommend people to emigrate to?

Zimbabwe perhaps ?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennifer45
You obviously hate it- now if we can't sell our house - how about you renting it from us for a year just to get a feel of what it's like back in the UK at the mo. Don't forget your returning residents visa, 'cos you'll be using it.
What Halifax or Huddersfield? Nah Id rather be here, thats for sure! Ive enjoyed the rural areas outside Leeds and Bradford before though.

I would have to live down south thats for sure.

I have permanent residency thanks, so RRV cant expire
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NakiMan
I'll repeat the question I asked earlier in this thread..

Given that so many people seem to hate NZ so much that they wouldn't recommend anyone to move here and that the rest of the world seems to be turning to crap, where would you recommend people to emigrate to?

Zimbabwe perhaps ?
You have answered your own question!
Maybe you are better off staying put.

Remember NZ is an awful long way - maybe it will work for you, maybe it wont.

Personally, I feel much more comfortable in Europe, but you are right, it is hard to know what to do.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

shouldn't that be...

Car Mayhem is getting worse in Christchurch (if thats possible)

So much for South Auckland being the worst place to live
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:42 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum

shouldn't that be...

Car Mayhem is getting worse in Christchurch (if thats possible)

So much for South Auckland being the worst place to live
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Browner_;
You need to learn English.

Will you be my tutor? I will do 1 hours detention for my mistake.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Genesis;7333003][QUOTE=Browner_;
You need to learn English.

Will you be my tutor? I will do 1 hours detention for my mistake.[/QUOTE]

Bless you for bringing a little light relief to a thread that was in danger of becoming 'uncomfortable'/emotional '
Old Mar 1st 2009, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=jennifer45;7333229]
Originally Posted by Genesis

Bless you for bringing a little light relief to a thread that was in danger of becoming 'uncomfortable'/emotional '

Thank you J. I can be a cheeky chappy when pushed.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:08 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

[QUOTE=Genesis;7333604]
Originally Posted by jennifer45

Thank you J. I can be a cheeky chappy when pushed.

Last edited by Am Loolah; Mar 1st 2009 at 3:24 am. Reason: Previous warning.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:42 am
Just Joined

BigRod is an unknown quantity at this point

You have answered your own question!
Maybe you are better off staying put.

Remember NZ is an awful long way - maybe it will work for you, maybe it wont.

Personally, I feel much more comfortable in Europe, but you are right, it is hard to know what to do.
You sure you aint *Victor Meldrew* ROFL!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.