British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   CAR INSURANCE OR BUST! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/car-insurance-bust-503020/)

SWALLOW2 Jan 2nd 2008 5:20 pm

CAR INSURANCE OR BUST!

Hello,

Coming to live in New Zealand in February. Will we need to bring evidence of 'no claims bonus' from our car insurance company to get a good deal with car insurance in NZ? Not sure how it works. Thanks! :huh:

TeamEmbo Jan 2nd 2008 6:05 pm

Re: CAR INSURANCE OR BUST!

Nope. They're not fussed about your history in UK or elsewhere. You don't even need car insurance if you don't want it. Of course, it is recommended and if you need car finance it might be a stipulation of the finance company.

SWALLOW2 Jan 2nd 2008 6:12 pm

Good Lord! Things are certainly different in New Zealand! Easy come, easy go..........lovely. Thanks for that reply. ;)

sarahw Jan 2nd 2008 6:12 pm

We brought proof of no claims bonus and got max no claims bonus here when we took out car insurance. A few companies in NZ do protected no claims bonus for life - worth checking out given the way people drive here!!!

dreamfish Jan 2nd 2008 6:38 pm

yep definitely bring evidence of no claims (just ask for your current insurer a letter confirming number of years)

If you have evidence you can get up to 60% of your insurance - and get no claims for life.

State, AMI and The AA all asked for it - but the insurer I went with (ASB, my bank, turned out to be cheapest) has given me the no claims discount but said that in the event of a claim they will want to see evidence that I have never made one.
(my letter is on a container somewhere!!)

I phoned around these insurers on new years eve so this is current advice.

kate.

Originally Posted by sarahw (Post 5730465)
We brought proof of no claims bonus and got max no claims bonus here when we took out car insurance. A few companies in NZ do protected no claims bonus for life - worth checking out given the way people drive here!!!

minky Jan 2nd 2008 8:10 pm

we have been her since sept 06 first policy did not want any proof and put the policy into effect before we paid.My insurance again with a different company all on the phone no proof required paid by credit card and sorted.Renewed hubbys this year with another company just usual questions and we now have NZ driving licenses.Many do drive with no insurance and they are trying to change that.

Yotty Jan 3rd 2008 2:12 am

I brought proof of full no-claims bonus and got a years policy for $45.:)

Maz Jan 3rd 2008 2:29 am

Not clued up on insurance, get it cheap through work, sorry.

But do bring proof that you've had a driving licence for more than 2 years otherwise you'll have to do the practical test as well, to get an NZ licence.

RobClubley Jan 3rd 2008 9:06 am

I needed proof of no claims. But I do have 12 claim-free years now - yay!

I pay about $500 insurance with protected no claims, maximum cover and an agreed value on the car. That would have cost me 800-900 pounds in the UK!!

SWALLOW2 Jan 4th 2008 4:41 am

Many thanks for all the replies, they have been really useful and diverse! Cheers! :)