Car Insurance

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Insurance

So do people bother with car insurance as it's not compulsory? Is it expensive? Do you get ripped of like in England when you (if you) claim?
Just wondering...

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all
Default Re: Car Insurance

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
So do people bother with car insurance as it's not compulsory? Is it expensive? Do you get ripped of like in England when you (if you) claim?
Just wondering...

I have heard that it is really cheap and we fully intend to get it when we arrive next month. Especially as other folk who may hit you could be without! Not sure about the details regarding claiming though soz!

Will be interested to see the replies on this one.

Amy
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:25 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering...

Insurance isn't compulsory in NZ, but I'd recommend getting it! I found it to be much easier in NZ, but I can't remember the prices.

That's all I can tell you!! You should have a look at some search engines to get some ideas of prices, the AA over there are responsible for licensing (unlike here) and they tend to offer more competitive rates.

Hope that helps!

Nikki
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Just wondering...

Hi,
we are insured through the AA. Yes get it!!!! A woman hit hubbys car, he had stopped in a carpark as someone was reversing out of a space and she went straight into the back of his Nissan Navarra, she hit the towbar so no damage to his car but her headlight was smashed. Her fault as she hit a stationery vehicle, she admitted it at the time and apologised. A month later we got a claim through saying it was hubbys fault. If you are not insured they will sue you for damages. As we are insured our insurance company is dealing with it and fighting it as they agree it was her fault, but the cheek of it amazed us, she hit us from behind and claims it was our fault!!!

Our insurance cost $464.00 for a 2005 Nissan Navara 3ltr, 4wdr valued at $38000. You can get insurance cheaper we went with the AA because it was familiar and did it all before getting computer sorted, on line you get good deals. Bring your no claims bonus with you it does count.
Debbie
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:35 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

I'd advise getting it - everyone drives like lunatics in Auckland, also car crime does exist, although not presonally affected we've witnessed many smash and grabs. We went with AMI insurance which is one of the big ones out here - fully comp insurance with maximum no claims was comparable to the uk. After 12 months with them we've been given protected no claims. They also do house and contents and you can get extra discounts with getting all your insurance with them. Claiming is much the same as uk too.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering...

hubby pays $375 for a Honda jazz (his 1st car, & 1st insurance)
i pay $450 for a honda accord (full no claims)
both with AA
hope that helps a bit
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Hubby has had three accidents in 3 years (none his fault) and has had no problems with claims, he was shocked though when they used second hand parts to repair panel damage!!! the work completed by the body shop was not of the standard you expect from the UK, and the curtesey cars they give you often need a bit of work themselves!!!!
But thats some of the things you have to adapt to ...thats just how they do it over here.
Yep get a certificate of your no claims bonus from your present UK company to bring over, they will accept this.
But car insurence is a reasonable price even if you have a high performance car.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 10:40 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering...

Compared to the UK it's cheap as chips. We got a quote - using carried over No Claims from the UK [1] - for $180 tpf&t for a car worth $1000, at a Christchurch address. Peanuts really.

Never had to claim, but heard no horror stories so far.

[1] Handy Andy tip for the day: When you cancel your UK car policy, get your no-claims certificate/ letter and bring it with you when you come. Most ins co's count it in their calculations, and it halved the cost of ours. Unfortunately, this handy tip comes at our expense, as we are still chasing our UK insurer for the cert
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 10:47 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Another handy tip!!

If you had a company car in the UK get your old employer to write a letter saying they have not had to make a claim for you (if they are prepared to of course) and this will be as good as an Insurance company certificate. Well it was for us.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 6:39 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

State insurance charges me $298 for my Mitsubishi RVR and $250 for the wifes toyota Cynos ,both fully comp and they accepted our no claims from the UK ,just windscreen excess to pay and the first $500 of any major claim as we do not have a kiwi licence yet.
We also do our home and contents with them ,contents and property come to $750 a year.Bargain in my opinion.
Dont drive without it and just treat every motorist here as an idiot,a lot dont even have a licence ,they have a "MAOIRI " licence as I have learnt. .
ACC covers you for medical and hospital if you have an accident thats why insurance is not compulsery,road tax also includes a fee for ACC.Funny ways here but you get used to them.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 7:08 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

My teenage son wrote his dads car off and was not insured, the car he hit cost us $3k to repair. So we were minus a car and also $3k out of pocket.
The hubby ran into someone in a supermarket car park and was not insured ... it cost us $600 to settle.
So we learnt our lesson and got insured
It's cheap as over here so really no reason not to get insured, we have all our stuff insured with AMI
Old Feb 24th 2007, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Hubby has had three accidents in 3 years (none his fault) and has had no problems with claims, he was shocked though when they used second hand parts to repair panel damage!!! the work completed by the body shop was not of the standard you expect from the UK, and the curtesey cars they give you often need a bit of work themselves!!!!
But thats some of the things you have to adapt to ...thats just how they do it over here.
Yep get a certificate of your no claims bonus from your present UK company to bring over, they will accept this.
But car insurence is a reasonable price even if you have a high performance car.
direct line wouldn't give me mine until my insurance had been cancelled (i was still using my car on the day we left) but they did agree to send it on to me in NZ
Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:42 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't risk driving with no insurance. Even if you have a cheap old car you need at least third party. It's just not worth the risk.

I was speaking to a guy in Auckland who had an old car, no insurance (19 year old). He lost control of his car on a corner and hit another car head-on. Fortunately the occupants had nothing more serious than broken bones but both cars were written off and he will be getting the bill for the other car - around $20k

My insurance on my Skoda Octavia vRS cost me 650 quid in the UK and over here costs me $500 and here I have protected no claims and an agreed value on the car.
Then again I have a garage here, and in the UK it was parked on the street in South Leeds - bit more risk there!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=cherry;4449245]State insurance charges me $298 for my Mitsubishi RVR and $250 for the wifes toyota Cynos ,both fully comp and they accepted our no claims from the UK ,just windscreen excess to pay and the first $500 of any major claim as we do not have a kiwi licence yet.
We also do our home and contents with them ,contents and property come to $750 a year.Bargain in my opinion.

Ours is similar - I think ou get a 10% discount from state if you do home and car insurance with them
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt drive here without insurance either. We insure both cars and house plus contents with AMI... they seem ok so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.