British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Car insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/car-insurance-382236/)

spudzlikeus Jun 29th 2006 9:20 pm

Car insurance

Hi, anyone know where I can find out about car insurance in NZ....estimated cost for a particular car etc before going to NZ. Planning to buy a car asap and would like an idea of cost before I get too carried away choosing the model on the internet! How do cost compare to the UK etc. Thanks

poppets Jun 30th 2006 2:21 am

Re: Car insurance

Originally Posted by spudzlikeus
Hi, anyone know where I can find out about car insurance in NZ....estimated cost for a particular car etc before going to NZ. Planning to buy a car asap and would like an idea of cost before I get too carried away choosing the model on the internet! How do cost compare to the UK etc. Thanks

In UK i had ford focus 2l estate on 52 plate. ins with direct line approx £320
In NZ i have honda accord euro stationwagon 2.4l 2003 ins with AA (membership $77, ins about $400)

basically when i cancelled my uk insurance, the money i got back for cancelling policy before time up was more that enough to insure car & pay for AA cover . My UK insurance renewed in mid Oct, i cancelled 1st week april (give Uk ins company notice for the no claims proof, dirct lin esent mine direct to me in NZ).
Try the AA or State insurance or AMI.

Melza7 Jun 30th 2006 5:23 am

HI
try [email protected] - it is an insurance brokers, so they will find the best deal for you.
Good luck

Steve Horrell Jun 30th 2006 11:55 am

Originally Posted by spudzlikeus

What you pay in pounds in the UK is very roughly what you will pay in dollars in NZ. With the exchange rate currently running at $3 to the pound, it is about a third of the price! Car insurance in NZ is not compulsory - you only need registration (car tax) and Warrant of Fitness (MOT) to keep a car on the road. Having said that, insurance is always a damn good idea and all the companies in NZ will try and beat each other for your business. Good luck

K9s Jun 30th 2006 2:51 pm

[QUOTE=Steve Horrell]

What you pay in pounds in the UK is very roughly what you will pay in dollars in NZ. With the exchange rate currently running at $3 to the pound, it is about a third of the price!
But you are not paid in pounds you are paid in dollars so $300 Plus for car insurance out of a NZ wage leaves not a lot

K9

poppets Jun 30th 2006 10:54 pm

[QUOTE=K9s]

Originally Posted by Steve Horrell

But you are not paid in pounds you are paid in dollars so $300 Plus for car insurance out of a NZ wage leaves not a lot

K9

Yes but Spudzlikeus said
How do cost compare to the UK etc. Thanks
they still have to compare to uk to find their feet, i'm sure they realise that the moneys not the same, its mentioned enough on here!