Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Car Hire and a few other questions :)

Car Hire and a few other questions :)

Old Mar 11th 2011, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

The-Icon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Hire and a few other questions :)

Hi Guys.

so my trip to NZ is all booked, i arrive Tuesday April 19th, am really excited

can you recommend a good car rental? I'm 23 and i have to get to Napier, nearly everyone else has said i should just fly from Auck to Wellington? but i really want to see the country so i want to drive.i don't have to be In Napier until the 23rd of April so i have a few days to make the drive, i will be going it alone. what can i expect?

what will the weather be like at this time of year there? i drive a convertible at home, so i wouldn't mind having one over there.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice
Default Re: Car Hire and a few other questions :)

When we went in early December it was cheaper to get a connecting flight from Auckland to Tauranga and hire from there. IIRC Hertz Tauranga airport was about $1000 cheaper than Auckland for 4 weeks' hire of a Mondeo. Dunno why
John.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

but with Hertz am sure you need to be 25 to rent a car?

i really am open to ideas. i mean i have4 days to kill, 1 of them will more than likely be sleeping

So is it worth flying from Auckland to Wellington or Auckland to Tauranga? and then getting a car? I'm in NZ for 3 weeks so i would like to make the most of what i can.

a flight to Tauranga from Auckland is about £157, Wellington from Auckland is £54
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Si19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud of

Big value rentals are fab, they are a subsidiary of Omega. Cars tend to be about 10 year old jap imports but they are cheap to run and never had a problem. Less than half the cost of hertz etc and no problem to return to different location. They send someone to meet you at the airport, for drop off in Wellington you go to the depot which is easy to find and they will transport you from there,
Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

We used A2B from Auckland - older cars but we had no problems with them. www.airportcarhire.co.nz . From about $19.00 per day I believe
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:17 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

I've used these and these

Both were good and the cars are covered for breakdown....
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The-Icon
Hi Guys.

so my trip to NZ is all booked, i arrive Tuesday April 19th, am really excited

can you recommend a good car rental? I'm 23 and i have to get to Napier, nearly everyone else has said i should just fly from Auck to Wellington? but i really want to see the country so i want to drive.i don't have to be In Napier until the 23rd of April so i have a few days to make the drive, i will be going it alone. what can i expect?

what will the weather be like at this time of year there? i drive a convertible at home, so i wouldn't mind having one over there.
Hi There, we went in April last year and use Apex - I think they accept 21 as a minimum age. They were good, the cars were nice but they probably weren't the cheapest. Weather was really nice and a convertible would have been good!
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

We have always used Apex they have newish cars expect to pay about 50 bux a day for a 2ltr ford focus
Old Mar 13th 2011, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of

We live in Napier and when we arrived we hired a car and drove down here in one go after we landed, the scenery was stunning and to drive up the Palm tree lined roads of Napier was an awesome welcome. I have since been back to Auckland a couple of times to pick up our son from the Airport and love the drive.
I don’t know what your plans are in NZ but If you were not go to Auckland again i would stay and explore Auckland for a couple of days and then just fly down to Hawkes Bay airport (Napier). Cheaper than hiring a car for a few days and you can see all the wonderful countryside in Hawkes Bay when you get here. I am told the weather in April is still good in Napier and the winters are mild. Good luck you will love it in Hawkes Bay.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

thank you

i want to do the bridge bungee jump, so i will be staying in Auckland for at least 2 days before driving.

just looked at a flight from Auckland to Hawkes. $302 not bad but i will still need a car once i get to Napier. so i really am torn,

like you say its really nice. and i would like to see and make the most of it.

ahh decisions, decisions
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

So,

am packing ready for Sunday, got my car sorted via apex etc.. but. i have lost my paper part pf my driving licence. will this make a difference? i have looked on there T&Cs cant see anything about. i still have my card part. the DVLA said i may be fine but have a look and see if i can see anything.

so any suggestions? i can order a new licence now, it will get 1st thing in the morning.. no guarantee it will get here by Saturday :|
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Originally Posted by The-Icon
So,

am packing ready for Sunday, got my car sorted via apex etc.. but. i have lost my paper part pf my driving licence. will this make a difference? i have looked on there T&Cs cant see anything about. i still have my card part. the DVLA said i may be fine but have a look and see if i can see anything.

so any suggestions? i can order a new licence now, it will get 1st thing in the morning.. no guarantee it will get here by Saturday :|
Suggestion 1: ask DVLA to send it by special delivery.
Suggestion 2: contact apex to ask what type of confirmation of the information on the paper part will be acceptable if you don't have the paper part - a few years ago I went to Italy and forgot my licence after a few phone calls someone at my work phoned DVLA and they faxed a confirmation of my valid driving licence direct to the hire desk at the airport and I got the car.
Suggestion 3: bluff it out
Hope one of these works,
John.

Last edited by johnht; Apr 13th 2011 at 1:00 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks will do, the DVLA did say something about that fax thing too.. but with the time difference. i see it been quite difficult

another random question.. anyone suggest some decent hotels in Auckland City Centre? i have had a quick look around but i thought i may ask someone from experience.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

you will not be asked for the paper bit dont worry about it
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
you will not be asked for the paper bit dont worry about it
Thank you, i have been going mental here