British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Car dealers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/car-dealers-692902/)

dave8217 Nov 9th 2010 1:39 pm

Car dealers

Hi, We have just booked our oneway flights to NZ for the end of August 2011, can't wait. Can any body recommend some good honest car dealers in the Auckland area. We will be looking to purchase 2 second hand cars. We have noticed that NZ has a large amount of cars imported from Japan. Are these a good buy, my wife and I have both been looking on trademe and seen models of car we like. Niether car can be found in the UK as we would like something different. Does anyone have, or know if the nissan skyline 250gt and the toyota voltz are good buys.
Very exited and scared, 10 months is not a long time. Any help please.

Thanks dave

sirplug Nov 9th 2010 4:40 pm

Re: Car dealers

Originally Posted by dave8217 (Post 8970923)
Hi, We have just booked our oneway flights to NZ for the end of August 2011, can't wait. Can any body recommend some good honest car dealers in the Auckland area. We will be looking to purchase 2 second hand cars. We have noticed that NZ has a large amount of cars imported from Japan. Are these a good buy, my wife and I have both been looking on trademe and seen models of car we like. Niether car can be found in the UK as we would like something different. Does anyone have, or know if the nissan skyline 250gt and the toyota voltz are good buys.
Very exited and scared, 10 months is not a long time. Any help please.

Thanks dave

Try and avoid the Skyline...they tend to be cars owned by kids and any car that has been in the hands of a 15 yr old will have been modified and thrashed..

simonsi Nov 9th 2010 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 8971325)
Try and avoid the Skyline...

Ditto, most nicked car model in NZ apparantly....IIRC

dave8217 Nov 9th 2010 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 8971325)
Try and avoid the Skyline...they tend to be cars owned by kids and any car that has been in the hands of a 15 yr old will have been modified and thrashed..

Is the skyline you are talking about the old brick shaped one or the 2002 onwards one. I would have thought the 2002 onwards would not appeal to the young driver as it looks fairly bland

sirplug Nov 10th 2010 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by dave8217 (Post 8971886)
Is the skyline you are talking about the old brick shaped one or the 2002 onwards one. I would have thought the 2002 onwards would not appeal to the young driver as it looks fairly bland

It's not the look but the power and price they buy them for!

Justcol Nov 11th 2010 10:55 pm

voltz is basically a corrola verso.
Skylines are boy racer cars and will have been thrashed
either here or in japan