Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Car - which is best

Car - which is best

Old Aug 16th 2011, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of
Default Re: Car - which is best

I always think that newer cars in NZ are expensive, but older cars are well cheap.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simonsi
Ummm, the depreciation curve is flatter in NZ than the UK. So the change in value over any given age and mileage is less in NZ than in the UK as you have quoted.

So per mile(km) it costs LESS.

Simples.
Hmm. All in all I think I would rather buy a 500 quid car for 500 quid, instead of $10k.

I could live with some pretty ferocious depreciation if I only spent 500.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 11:53 pm
Throw yourself at it...

VickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really nice

Has anyone used this when starting out? - http://www.backpackerscarmarket.co.nz/

Be good to know what the experience of it was, whether it's a gamble or pretty safe?
Old Aug 17th 2011, 8:00 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VickyVN
Has anyone used this when starting out? - http://www.backpackerscarmarket.co.nz/

Be good to know what the experience of it was, whether it's a gamble or pretty safe?
Personally, I wouldn't. These are cars bought by backpackers to get around the islands as cheap as possible. We have had a few backpackers in at work and they never want to get the car properly fixed, just cheap repairs designed to last a few weeks or months............I expect the cars on sale here, are the same......
Old Aug 17th 2011, 8:02 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananalana
I always think that newer cars in NZ are expensive, but older cars are well cheap.
Depends what you look for. I'm after an Alfa...can buy the one I want in the UK for 3 grand, here, it's $20,000. Cars in the UK are cheaper to buy but as Simon has already said, what you pay now and what you sell for in a year won't differ that much, unlike the UK, where what you pay now you have no hope of being within 50% of next year!.....depreciation doesn't exist here, in the same way as UK
Old Aug 17th 2011, 10:30 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
Hmm. All in all I think I would rather buy a 500 quid car for 500 quid, instead of $10k.

I could live with some pretty ferocious depreciation if I only spent 500.
A car is worth what you can sell it for, hence 10yr old Estimas sell for $10-12k, no bother and they can be resold for similar.

Good for you, we'll see how that works out for you. Remember there isn't any salt use here, 10yr old cars can be pretty indistinguishable from new in the body/chassis depts.

Oh and you'll be surprised what you see as daily drivers here, Austin 1100, Fiat X1/9 1300, Triumph 2500...
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

I am pretty familiar with the situation - spent much of my childhood on the showroom floor at Turner's auctions.

Whilst the bodies might last, the general standard of vehicles is very poor in NZ: Engines spewing out black smoke like two-strokes, technology and safety equipment generally a decade out-of-date... things improved dramatically with the introduction of mass Japanese imports c.1990, but seem to have reverted to mean recently (maybe to do with currency appreciation)
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:27 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Car - which is best

Just my view of course.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:54 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
I am pretty familiar with the situation - spent much of my childhood on the showroom floor at Turner's auctions.

Whilst the bodies might last, the general standard of vehicles is very poor in NZ: Engines spewing out black smoke like two-strokes, technology and safety equipment generally a decade out-of-date... things improved dramatically with the introduction of mass Japanese imports c.1990, but seem to have reverted to mean recently (maybe to do with currency appreciation)
Sure there is the odd banger on the streets but I'd say the vehicles I see generally on Auckland streets are pretty good condition, not sure how relevant your childhood is mate, when were you last here???
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Last lived there 2001, visits every couple of years since with latest in Feb 2011 and next on 9 Sept
Old Aug 29th 2011, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

groovy_sparrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Toyota Corolla.

I got an old one, 1995, which had done 218000kms for $3K All I had to do was change the cam belt ($300) and get a new battery ($150) and it was great to go. Travelled 3 months in it so far. It's also $50 to fill up the gas and lasts ages (1.3 engine)