British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   car air con in NZ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/car-air-con-nz-661681/)

4pommes Mar 29th 2010 10:26 am

car air con in NZ??

Hi,

advice please....hubby has a car that still runs on R12 gas for the air con. He is looking to take the car with us when we leave for NZ in a couple of years and wants to know what the situation is in NZ re cars and air con regassing...

In the Uk this gas is illegal and so we can have it regassed here with R134a using adapters or have it converted (at a cost) fully to R134a. Want to do what is best in the long run...

thanks for your advice and assistance!!!

Mick and Lydia.

concretepump Mar 29th 2010 1:07 pm

Re: car air con in NZ??

Originally Posted by 4pommes (Post 8456773)
Hi,

advice please....hubby has a car that still runs on R12 gas for the air con. He is looking to take the car with us when we leave for NZ in a couple of years and wants to know what the situation is in NZ re cars and air con regassing...

In the Uk this gas is illegal and so we can have it regassed here with R134a using adapters or have it converted (at a cost) fully to R134a. Want to do what is best in the long run...

Mick and Lydia.

sell your car here and buy one over there saves a lot of trouble, most of cars in nz have air con

4pommes Mar 29th 2010 1:18 pm

not an option I'm afraid...it's a limited edition 1992 Peugeot 205 gti auto!!!! Tried that one! lol!

irnbru14 Mar 29th 2010 6:11 pm

Hi,

Mick and Lydia.

I'm affraid you can't bring it in because it's a European car, don't you know you can only get Holden (thats Vauxhall to you!), Ford or Toyota here...

Only joking!! :rofl::sneaky:

It would be easier to flog it and buy something nice and shiny when you get here, think you would need to consult with MAF and whoever else about what you need to do to get the car into the country.

sirplug Mar 29th 2010 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by 4pommes (Post 8457098)
not an option I'm afraid...it's a limited edition 1992 Peugeot 205 gti auto!!!! Tried that one! lol!

Having a European car repaired here is a pain. Parts are difficult to get hold of. Regular servicing isn't a problem but should anything more than the norm be needed (many have to be ordered from Europe) then the prices can be expensive. ...........especially, one that will be 20 years old, when you arrive.

If it's a weekend car it shouldn't prove over the top but if this is a daily runner, consider the environment it will be running in (hotter weather and depending where you move, rougher roads)................ and the kiwi attitude to cars and car parks!:blink:

Genesis Mar 29th 2010 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by 4pommes (Post 8457098)

I really would advise you from bringing this car unless of course it is like a child to you and that you have large amounts of cash you wish to spend. It will cost you an arm and a leg to get here, to maintain and will have very little value if you ever chose to sell. The thought here is that generally you don't bring a car unless its a really valuable classic car that is very rare. I know there are some exceptions. At 18 years old your car is in that area where its too old to be worth ought and too young to be of any value. Your choice. Just words of advice. Only you know what its worth in terms of being a money pit.

Genesis Mar 29th 2010 9:46 pm

and the kiwi attitude to cars and car parks!:blink:[/QUOTE]

Kate has a rather nice car. I drive the family shitter. The former is never allowed in the car parks of Palmy..too many door dings to be collected. My old dog picks up all the dents.

sarahw Mar 30th 2010 12:31 am

Try asking these guys
European Auto Air
Unit 2/151 Target Road
Glenfield, Auckland
(09)443-3884

RobClubley Mar 30th 2010 1:14 am

You're all so negative!

I agree bringing a car is false economy but I'm glad I brought mine. It does cost more to run a European car than a Japanese one but I have something much rarer than most of the beige Corollas that last forever and are dull dull dull to drive! :)

Disclaimer: I'm a little too fond of my car. It's a problem I know! :D

Justcol Mar 30th 2010 1:45 am

drop these guys a line, they should be able to help.
Might mean a whole new aircon system but give em a try.

The car wont mean anything to anybody out here,
it will be next to worthless on the open market
and will not gain any value over time.
It doesnt matter what model or edition it is.
If you love it bring it but your throwing money away
and you may not even be able to drive it here as they have
tightened up the laws on importing cars.
check with land transport to see if you can register it here
before you make any plans

RobClubley Mar 30th 2010 2:02 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8458850)
The car wont mean anything to anybody out here,
it will be next to worthless on the open market
and will not gain any value over time.
It doesnt matter what model or edition it is.
If you love it bring it but your throwing money away...

I disagree on that point. There are a lot of petrolheads here in NZ and there are some seriously rare and cool cars here, and people do pay the right money for them.
To the average person a car is akin to a washing machine - a utility thing to be used (carelessly) and given the bare minimum of maintenance to keep it going.

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8458850)
and you may not even be able to drive it here as they have
tightened up the laws on importing cars.
check with land transport to see if you can register it here
before you make any plans

That is good advice - there's an age limit for a start - 20 years I think.

simonsi Mar 30th 2010 8:01 am

Best to read the actual rules at nzta.gov.nz here, the 20-yr rule means it is easier to import a car over 20yrs old as it doesn't have to meet some of the requirements younger cars must.

Broadly speaking it must meet the same requirements as the existing vehicles on NZ roads of a similar age, much as any vehicle does in the UK for instance.

Am Loolah Mar 30th 2010 9:48 am

Hi,

Mick and Lydia.

Hi Mick and Lydia,

I am a girl. I am a blonde girl (it's all paid for.) I must be missing something?:confused:

It's a Peugot I believe.

I'm not aware of anyone having a rare or special Peugot - but I could well be wrong. I don't think you would be well advised to spend the money on bringing it to NZ. I purchased a Golf GTi here that I adored - I still treated it unkindly and I don't think I ever cleaned it. It was a 1999. It started to cost sooooooo much money in parts and repairs that i had to let it go. I still miss it. I am now looking at buying a Jap import as I don't like my husband's BMW that I inherited and that is now going to our 15 year old. I don't like driving the eldest's Subaru as she has pimped it. I don't particularly like driving the business's Holden ute because it's massive. But ... I may well get a second Holden (Vauxhall) or a Toyota as they are so much cheaper to maintain.

If money is no object, by all means bring it, but it will be expensive to ship and expensive to maintain.:unsure:

Here endeth the lesson ...

simonsi Mar 30th 2010 10:14 am

Oooh, all these negative waves man..... :)

What I would certainly advise is to ship a choice selection of spares with the car, that way you will be insulated from the time and cost of obtaining anything unique to the car.

I´m sure people ship whole containers of worthless tat around the globe that they are attached to and much of life doesn´t make financial sense, if you´ve kept the car to this age (not that easy in the UK I suspect), then I guess you´ll want to keep it some more....

Interestingly there are some great classic cars in NZ, due in no small part to the lack of road salt. Check out trademe.co.nz for cars to use as spares etc - in fact there is a 1988 205GTi 1.9 on there right now....hobbies and pets rarely make financial sense :D

teeym Mar 30th 2010 10:32 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 8459609)
Check out trademe.co.nz for cars to use as spares etc - in fact there is a 1988 205GTi 1.9 on there right now

I dislike you for making me aware of this fact as I'm poor enough already. That said, I hope it's still for sale when I arrive - I've wanted a 205 GTi for ages. :rofl:

Shame on you Am Loolah - a 205 GTi is a special thing indeed*!

Although what I really, really want is a Westfield (to go with the Triumph 2500 from the other car thread) so that I can waste away the rest of my life footling in a garage in the futile, neverending, yet immensely rewarding pursuit of automotive perfection that is having a "hobby car".

I'm thinking V8..........:thumbup:

*the slushbox however, is not