Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

car air con in NZ??

car air con in NZ??

Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:37 am
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: car air con in NZ??

Originally Posted by 4pommes
not an option I'm afraid...it's a limited edition 1992 Peugeot 205 gti auto!!!! Tried that one! lol!

Strike a light - there is actually a 205 GTi slushbox on TradeMe as I type this!

And it has WOF and Rego!!!

Last edited by teeym; Mar 30th 2010 at 10:49 am.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 1:15 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teeym
Shame on you Am Loolah - a 205 GTi is a special thing indeed*!
I seriously wasn't aware there had ever been such a thing as a 205GTi automatic - that makes it truly special!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 1:19 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Strike a light - there is actually a 205 GTi slushbox on TradeMe as I type this!

Gosh! So there were 2!!! Are they a matching pair? That always puts the value up on Antiques Road Show

(other valuation programmes are available)
Old Mar 30th 2010, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

and they appear to worth about 1500 bucks.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 8:12 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by colandros
and they appear to worth about 1500 bucks.
Each or for the pair? Seriously though, if it has sentimental value then take it, just be prepared for a rough maintenance ride...
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 6:33 am
Just Joined

NZ_Rob is an unknown quantity at this point

Air con = wind the windows down!
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

there are plenty of 205 GTI's on trade me
they are not worth anything
they are not special
they have no sentimental meaning to kiwis
they are not sought after as other cars are better
they are european with expensive parts.

I understand completely why people are attached to cars
i am the same with motorbikes but i am also a realist
and recognise that a thing of value in one country
is worthless in another.
Ask a kiwi petrol head what a 205 is and he'll tell you he thinks
its somethng you can buy at bunnings or mitre 10.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 4:43 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.eurosport.org.nz/forum/
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 7:39 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by colandros
there are plenty of 205 GTI's on trade me
they are not worth anything
they are not special
they have no sentimental meaning to kiwis
they are not sought after as other cars are better
they are european with expensive parts.

I understand completely why people are attached to cars
i am the same with motorbikes but i am also a realist
and recognise that a thing of value in one country
is worthless in another.
Ask a kiwi petrol head what a 205 is and he'll tell you he thinks
its somethng you can buy at bunnings or mitre 10.
Frankly, so what? They aren't bringing it to NZ to sell it so its only value that seems important is its value to them...and at least it won't be exposed to road salt whilst in NZ...

As I've said before, I'm sure many peeps ship containers of worthless stuff around because of sentimental value and don't get this reaction, its a couple of K's worth of car - many have lost many times that due to the exch rate over recent months

Wherever you go, you should be happy, if that means keeping a rare car as a hobby in difficult circumstances then bring it!
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 9:02 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simonsi
Frankly, so what? They aren't bringing it to NZ to sell it so its only value that seems important is its value to them...and at least it won't be exposed to road salt whilst in NZ...

As I've said before, I'm sure many peeps ship containers of worthless stuff around because of sentimental value and don't get this reaction, its a couple of K's worth of car - many have lost many times that due to the exch rate over recent months

Wherever you go, you should be happy, if that means keeping a rare car as a hobby in difficult circumstances then bring it!
I think the point is the cost of shipping a car is pretty high and maybe better avoided because of the increased cost of having it over here added on. Of course it is entirely up to the OP, but they may not have looked in to the costs yet.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

jjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 4pommes
Hi,

advice please....hubby has a car that still runs on R12 gas for the air con. He is looking to take the car with us when we leave for NZ in a couple of years and wants to know what the situation is in NZ re cars and air con regassing...

In the Uk this gas is illegal and so we can have it regassed here with R134a using adapters or have it converted (at a cost) fully to R134a. Want to do what is best in the long run...

thanks for your advice and assistance!!!

Mick and Lydia.
Hi,

134a is a replacement for r12, but yes r12 is very illegal in the uk, but you've got to reclaim and dispose of the gas correctly, so it'll cost you, hopefully you'll have a friend who's a fridgey, take it to a garage and it'll cost.

Sell the car in the uk and buy one in nz it'll be easier, and you can get an nz spec car in nz.

j.j.