British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Canterbury A&P Show - the tale of how we became Kiwi-fied (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/canterbury-p-show-tale-how-we-became-kiwi-fied-738447/)

Jan n Neil Nov 10th 2011 5:31 am

Canterbury A&P Show - the tale of how we became Kiwi-fied

It's the BIG Show day tomorrow, local holiday, and it's the last opportunity this year to see cows, pigs and sheep being judged.

We are going there for two reasons:
1) it's a day out (a further step on the road to Kiwi-ism)
2) We have heard that Elite trailers may be knocking some money off their trailers, and we need one ( our final step on the road to rural Kiwi-ism)

My PA told me it was full of smelly animals and she hated it, when she went. Me, I am looking forward to seeing dog trials, cuddling baby lambs, maybe buying some local produce, and getting a bargain on a trailer.

I think I have finally joined the dark side :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jan

johnht Nov 10th 2011 8:08 pm

Re: Canterbury A&P Show - the tale of how we became Kiwi-fied

I guess wearing of gumboots is compulsory:)

John.

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 10th 2011 8:11 pm

Have a great time :thumbup:

Jan n Neil Nov 11th 2011 3:57 am

It was fun :thumbsup: We bought a case of lovely wine, some goats cheese and a trailer :o which we had been waiting for the "Showprice" on. We ooohed and aaaahed over the baby animals, we watched the final of the log chopping contest, and we watching huntaways barking at sheep to get them into pens. All in all, a great day out :D

Jan

hazeandsteve Nov 11th 2011 5:12 am

From the news today, sounds like the chopping competition turned into an extreme sport!:ohmy:

Jan n Neil Nov 11th 2011 6:51 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 9726699)
From the news today, sounds like the chopping competition turned into an extreme sport!:ohmy:

I know I just read that!! It was this morning, I did vaguely hear a siren from the other side of the shpw but never thought anything of it

J

Joshlin Nov 11th 2011 6:45 pm

Hey Jan

did you get the 7x4 with cage ??
i should have gone as i really need a cover for mine and could have maybe scored a sweet deal-sad really eh?? :thumbsup:

Hope you are both well.

Lee

Jan n Neil Nov 11th 2011 8:30 pm

Went for the 8x4 single axle with cage only got 100 bux off at the show but better than nothing i suppose, I,m picking it up on Mon i will ask how much for your cover

Neil

mickey_d Nov 11th 2011 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 9724390)
2) We have heard that Elite trailers may be knocking some money off their trailers, and we need one ( our final step on the road to rural Kiwi-ism)

For full Kiwi-ism you have to make your own trailer from a pile of scrap:lol:

Justcol Nov 12th 2011 2:42 am

I've wondered this for some time....what does A & P stand for ??

Persephone Nov 12th 2011 3:06 am

Agricultural and Pastoral

Sounds like you had a good day out. Did think about going but just never made it. Hangover didn't help:lol:

Joshlin Nov 12th 2011 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 9727966)
Went for the 8x4 single axle with cage only got 100 bux off at the show but better than nothing i suppose, I,m picking it up on Mon i will ask how much for your cover

Neil

I know they are $600. i nearly went for one when i bought the trailer. will end up with one i know i will. one thing i will say is to check the wheel bearings are well greased. we have had a couple of new elites come through for WOF with stuffed wheel bearings due to lack of grease. I think they were isolated cases tho tbh.

Lee

Jan n Neil Nov 12th 2011 5:57 pm

Will do, iv,e got a grease gun somewhere :thumbup:

stephen60 Nov 13th 2011 10:28 am

I find that using the term Agricultural and Provincial, in a plummy voice, gets the locals juices, sorry, bile flowing.
Dogs enjoyed themselves, hand-fed French fries one at a time by doting ( and gullible) Kiwis. the gullible was because they didn't need feeding when we got home.
Steve .