Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can't get used to the money & other questions

Can't get used to the money & other questions

Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

juliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to all
Question Can't get used to the money & other questions

I've only been here a few weeks, but I can't get used to the money, I can't figure out what is expensive and what isn't. I am going round the supermarkets and the meat seems to be around $12, yogherts $5 etc is this a good price, its so frustrating can't seem to figure it out everything looks so expensive, don't know how we are going to be able to afford anything.

Also i am trying to find car booster seats mine are still in the uk until our stuff gets sent out later in the year. Does anyone know of anywhere around Nelson, ive seen a couple in The Warehouse but these are $89 which I am thinking is quite expensive just for the seat, I can't seem to find anything.

If anyone can be of any help I would be grateful, the struggle I have had this week finding birthday cards - not sure if these were expensive they started at $4.99 (again not sure if this is overpriced or not).

Please help
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:21 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can't get used to the money & other questions

We used to get cards from the Warehouse for 99c.

Best place to buy meat is from the discount Butchers, I think.

Try trademe for booster seats

We had the same problems getting used to the prices - $25 for takeout seemed like a small fortune. If it helps try to convert it back to ££££s until you get a feel for things.

Last edited by Nerine; Mar 14th 2008 at 9:33 am.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

think of what you are earning in a month and then then compare it to your wage i think this would be the best bet because i dont see the point in converting $ to £. just try and pretend that you have never even heard of the £, its not a fair comparisson,

thats what i think anyway if it makes sense, i am not in nz yet but when i do arrive that is what i am going to do ( well try to!!!)
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:41 am

Yes, that works after you've been there for a while but the prices can really take you by surprise. When you get to the checkout and it comes to $200 it can come as a bit of a shock, convert it back to £s and it helps to slow the heart rate a bit .

Pak n Save is generally the cheapest supermarket so use their prices as a baseline, generally speaking fruit and veg in season is quite cheap. A lot of people still shop around the veg, meat and bakery shops though and also bulk buy when something is on special.

The two things I always thought were expensive were cheese and breakfast cereals.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Good cards are expensive and the choice is not great.

how old are the kids.

I will send you a PM.
I think we need to meet up soonish.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:12 am

Those craft markets used to do really good handmade cards for 5-6 bucks, are there any down that way?
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:15 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

There is a Saturday market in Nelson.

I've PMd . We can 'do' a supermarket together and then have lunch. I'll try 'n get me act together and sort out a meet. Maybe at my house. If not , the dreaded Rabbit Island .
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:28 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

$4.99 is pretty reasonable if it is a hallmark type card.

complete rip off. But a reasonable price.

However Nerine is right - get those $1 or $2 cards. Very cheap and surprisingly funky

Oh, and stock up on cards if bookshops have 50% off sales. Whitcoulls have sales. Pity you aren't in Wellington or Auckland (not that the prices in that regard are much better) - i just tonight picked up some very cool christmas cards from Borders (Paperchase concession within the store) for $1 per card.

Booster Seats - unfortunately that is a pretty good price. If you are heading to Christchurch any time shortly you could check if kmart has any. What about Farmers? (the shop, not some bloke with a tractor). They have a decent selection too - though they will be more expensive. Kmart sells the Britax/SafenSound range. can't remember what Farmers have.

This is a link to The Baby Factory. As I said, more expensive than Warehouse but to give you an idea that you are not being completely ripped off from the House of W:
http://www.babyfactory.co.nz/products/group/31/page/1/

Hireage from baby factory:
https://www.babyfactory.co.nz/hireage.html ($20 pw so rather 'spensive)

Plunket hireage:
http://www.plunket.org.nz/AM/Templat...Scheme&Area=13

Hireage Option is probably too expensive for more than a month. I guess that depends on when your stuff from the UK will arrive.

Last edited by Kiwiprincess; Mar 14th 2008 at 11:34 am. Reason: found the plunket link. added it in.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:04 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Booster seats as opposed to full car restraint-type seats I'd imagine are fine secondhand ..... as there is no real prospect of hidden damage and strained belt mechanisms....?
If so then visit trademe or your local Salvation Army/Hospice/Charity store and pick one up there - many of these places have uber-bargians if you can live with old gear......
Must say I find the rear restraint system for car restraint-type seats here bizzare and pretty poorly thought out. Even on a brand new hire car the one for our littlie was not at all clever when it comes to lateral stability - give me a Britax that clamps the seat-belt any day........
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default We wish you a merry ........................

Same in Oz for the cards but...........I was in the Post Office the other day and I say a set of 20 really tacky Christmas Cards on sale for Au$6.95, I thought fack it I'm going to get some of those.

They are ones with piccies of landmarks of Oz (told you they are tacky), anyway got to the counter and got my other bits and pieces and low and behold when it came to paying for said cards guess what???? They were only Au$2!!!

Now the really good news............I come from a very small family, most relatives are dead, Mrs Nice Guy the same, actually slightly worse.

So.........the cards should last us for at least 3 years!!

What a splendid result!!

Now where the heck did I put them????

Last edited by Nice Guy; Mar 14th 2008 at 12:06 pm. Reason: Another spilling mistake
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:17 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey MrNG - know the feeling, I'm forever finding 21st and 40th cards that MrsL stockplies around. Even got last year's valentine card lat month!

Ehat I do like about NZ v-a-v card buying is "why send someone a card if you see them everyday" (MrsL, kids excluded of course!) - so no massive Christmas card purchases for work - thank goodness! Spot on
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:32 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I was told 'earn the dollar - live by the dollar' and it makes really good sense.
Stop converting: think what you earn in an hour.
If you earn $20 dollars per hour: think what you can buy for that hour's work...........and I was being paid $20 per hour.....
When we first got here, I could have spent $225 dollars on a beautifully handcrafted child's play stable........
Or $5.00 for a cucumber
or
$20 for 2 litres of spirits {OK, nothing you have ever heard of before but stiill 2 litres of vodka, gin or whisk(e)y}
You have to think about what you get paid here per hour and STOP CONVERTING!!!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

Don't know if you heard of Phoenix Trading in the UK (they have independent traders who sell good quality, reasonably priced cards and stationery) but they also trade in NZ. I think if you had a look at www.phoenix-trading.co.uk you can fill out a contact form and they will give you the details of your nearest trader.

I found with the groceries that I just had to compare the prices on the shelves - if I wanted cheese/bread/milk/baked beans etc., I'd just compare the different brands and see which was the best value. My heart still stops when they say it's $200 and odd dollars tho'
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

We bought our car seat in Farmers and the staff seemed pretty clueless about the price. It was labelled about $125 and they had a sale for about 30% off and then they said they'd take off another 10% for it being the last one on the shelf. Anyway, then they scanned the label, said it was $50 and I said thank you very much.

Alison
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

angpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BEVS here
There is a Saturday market in Nelson.

I've PMd . We can 'do' a supermarket together and then have lunch. I'll try 'n get me act together and sort out a meet. Maybe at my house. If not , the dreaded Rabbit Island .
whats wrong with rabbit island????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.