Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can't get a Mortgage Arrrrrrh

Can't get a Mortgage Arrrrrrh

Old May 19th 2009, 12:37 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't get a Mortgage Arrrrrrh

I've had a response They are on a 2 yr work permit and got their mortgage through HSBC! And they literally bought a $1.5m house within a week of arriving in Auckland!
Old May 19th 2009, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

kiwisteph is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Batty
Ah crap Steph - it's par for the course these days I'm afraid. When we got our mortgage I only had a work permit and they were very cagey about it - we wouldn't have got it if hubby hadn't been a Kiwi and we had 20% deposit.

I've just sent an email to someone who bought a house through us recently. They'd only just arrived here from Argentina and they had 40% deposit but I don't know if they have PR or a work permit. I've asked her to let me know who they went with so I'll let you know as soon as I hear back
Hi Batty
That would be great thanks
Old May 19th 2009, 12:59 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwisteph
Hi Batty
That would be great thanks
I think we must have cross-posted - see above
Old May 19th 2009, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

kiwisteph is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you believe this :curse::curse::curse:

Despite a Financial Adviser going to all the Banks NONE and i mean NONE will give us a mortgage despite: 40% deposit, good UK pension plus lump sum, good UK pension, a good Kiwi salary with one of the biggest Kiwi companies no debts etc,etc. And all because were on a 2 year work visa waiting for our PR which has been submitted and should be through soon.

So now we will miss out on our dream home

We are FURIOUS :curse: big time, we want to get out of our rental (which we will have to extend or move out of) and into our own home. No wonder people give up and decide to go back to the UK, doesn't help NZ to encourage people to emigrate to builds there economy does it.

Had enough of this

Beware anyone coming out here without a PR you just won't get a mortgage.

Sorry for slaging off Westpac, i know there only doing their job but that doesnt change how 'I' feel about their service!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by kiwisteph; May 19th 2009 at 1:15 am.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:53 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Genesis, thanks for that we went through Mike Pero and he couldn't help us so far but their still asking about.

Thanks to other who have had sympathy and good advice for us

Thanks also to people who like to kick you while your down on here you know who you are!!!!! Thought the forum was for people to ask advice, bounce ideas etc with other not to insult and add to their upset. Shame on you
HI As you can get hold of the deposit you could put an offer on the house you need the Real Estate agent to add a special claus to say that this offer is subject to you getting PR AND Finance and see if the vendors will hold on for a Longer Possession Date and Confirmation date..

What the vendor may do is come back with what we call a Roll Over clause( SOLE BENIFIT OF THE VENDOR OBTAINS ANOTHER OFFER ON TERMS which the vendor regards as more favorable) you will given just 2 working days to go Unconditional OR PULL OUT to make the choice of walking away or going Unconditional: AND THE DEPOSIT MUST BE PAID confused but you need to know how long nz house will take with your PM)
AN OFFER IN THIS MARKET IS AN OFFER..

Please if this does not make sense give me a pm and I will talk more.. Or you could go back to the Sales Consultant for the property and advise them you would like to put in an offer and you are subject to Finance and PR.
PR could also go in to the offer as an extra condition to the finance this will give you extra cover if you need to pull the Sales and Purchase Agreement

The NORMAL FIANCE Clause on contract takes no loner then ten working days AND a normal contract goes unconditional within 15 working days!! even with a builder report!! and you need to push the confirmation to give you the extra time.
Before you do this you could talk to a Solicitor.
As a real estate agent we do this all the time.. a lot of dereference from the uk.
If you dont get the home good luck with time finding a new one
Regards
Lin

Hope this will help
Old May 19th 2009, 3:30 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Trust me we have been looking for quite a while now and less and less is coming on the market.
Don't you think that's more to do with the time of year (winter)...the reports I've been reading is that relative activity and volumes (and prices) are on the up all be it slightly.
Old May 19th 2009, 3:56 am
By name and by nature

Originally Posted by harrogate girl

AND a normal contract goes unconditional within 15 working days!! even with a builder report!! and you need to push the confirmation to give you the extra time.

Hope this will help
I don't want to be (or sound) confrontational but that could be misunderstood. The number of days to go unconditional is agreed at the time of signing - it's not something that's imposed on either vendor or purchaser. The deposit is released to the vendor 15 days after payment = 10 working days (providing the contract is unconditional obviously). A contract can be unconditional from the moment it's accepted or it can be conditional for X number of months if it's conditional on, say, the sale of a house.
Old May 19th 2009, 5:29 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
Don't you think that's more to do with the time of year (winter)...the reports I've been reading is that relative activity and volumes (and prices) are on the up all be it slightly.
Hi Yes can say that my office is on the up one house has just sold this week after quite a few months on the market for $25000 more then it was priced for and not only did we get a cash offer but some one that looked at the property a few months ago phoned the agent wanting to re look. SO hope I cam sell my house SOON,
Lin
Old May 19th 2009, 6:33 am
Just Joined

YRSBoy is a jewel in the roughYRSBoy is a jewel in the roughYRSBoy is a jewel in the roughYRSBoy is a jewel in the roughYRSBoy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks also to people who like to kick you while your down on here you know who you are!!!!! Thought the forum was for people to ask advice, bounce ideas etc with other not to insult and add to their upset. Shame on you [/QUOTE]

Do you mean me? Appologies if you thought I was being offensive - my point was (and looking at some of your previous posts you haven't been in NZ too long) don't be in such a rush! All I was suggesting was take stock of the situation - this small hiccup may be giving you the opportunity to possibly save yourself some money and possibly avoid the rush into buying what might turn out to be not such a dream house after all.

I take it that your dream home is the one in New Plymouth the one you described in a previous post or - - - have you found another dream home?? - I hope that it is still on the market when you finally get your mortgage through - which by reading the other posts might happen sooner or later - so don't give up just yet

Good Luck in your endeavours - but I am a great believer in 'Whats for you - won't go by you!'
Old May 20th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Who would want to buy a house 'within a week of arriving in Auckland'? They may have noisy neighbours, developments about to begin nearby, traffic noise - all sorts of problems which will only show up after you have a wider knowledege of the area and the market.
Old May 20th 2009, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
Who would want to buy a house 'within a week of arriving in Auckland'? They may have noisy neighbours, developments about to begin nearby, traffic noise - all sorts of problems which will only show up after you have a wider knowledege of the area and the market.
We did. In Palmy. Sometimes a mad risk pay off..ours did and we imagine never moving from what is to us nirvana. Could not imagine living anywhere better. Okay I might like a sea veiw but that brings lots of people come summer. We live on the edge of town with a rural aspect in a cul de sac of two others!! No one comes here other than the few quiet bods who live in this secret hideaway. Bloody marvelous!!!!!!!!!!! The one thing I really (wanted apart from space) out of this move was some peace and quiet. I now have it in bucket loads.
Old May 20th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

hiya

you should try ANZ we were offered our mortgage to build our house while we were still on our WTR with only 20% required as deposit

We had to showletters from immigration showing that we would be given PR after a certain amount of time , but they were very cool
Old May 21st 2009, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Can you believe this :curse::curse::curse:

Despite a Financial Adviser going to all the Banks NONE and i mean NONE will give us a mortgage despite: 40% deposit, good UK pension plus lump sum, good UK pension, a good Kiwi salary with one of the biggest Kiwi companies, no debts etc,etc. And all because were on a 2 year work visa waiting for our PR which has been submitted and should be through soon.

So now we will miss out on our dream home

We are FURIOUS :curse: big time, we want to get out of our rental (which we will have to extend or move out of) and into our own home. No wonder people give up and decide to go back to the UK, doesn't help NZ to encourage people to emigrate to builds there economy does it.

Had enough of this

Beware anyone coming out here without a PR you just won't get a mortgage.
We were offered one with ASB when we arrived on a work visa, albeit a reduced one because of the work permit and not residence permit. Maybe they have changed their rules due to the recession. Maybe ask ASB direct instead of going through a broker. It's worth a try.
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:22 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I really would caution the old adage 'buyer beware', especially when coming in new to a particular housing market, and with the current value so difficult to determine, even for those with a good local knowledge.

Having gone through the process ourselves I know just how difficult it is to avoid looking at NZ properties with UK eyes, and to be objective. Especially when your heart is saying something like its twice the size for half the price, and has a nice garden, etc, etc.......

For all that, I'm glad in our own situation that we found our dream home (or close to it) after a couple of months looking. If it had appeared in the first week we might have had more of a dilemma knowing if it was the one or not.

Good luck with getting the finance sorted...and I do hope that if its meant to be, that you soon own your dream home.
Old May 24th 2009, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

DTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really nice

Was a year ago (i.e. before full impact of current world financial crisis) but we got a mortgage at normal rates through Westpac no problems on a WTR Visa - went through the Migrant Banking Team in Auckland - maybe they have different lending criteria than the high street branches / Broker routes - might be worth a phone call?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.