Cant Explain it !

Old Oct 4th 2009, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Big Mullerd is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Cant Explain it !

Hello,

I dont know why ,but I have felt for many years that I belong in NZ and I just cant explain it !
We have just come back from the emigration show in Cov. Needless to say we are more excited than ever now we have spoken to a few people on the Nz stands.

Im sure by now we have bored all our family and friends and anyone else who will listen about our plans to move.
We our coming over between 15.12.09 -09.01.10 travelling from Christchurch to Auckland to have a good look around.

Any tips and advice will be gratefully recieved.
PS We are doing all the touristy stuff in a campervan.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:43 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cant Explain it !

Originally Posted by Big Mullerd
Hello,

I dont know why ,but I have felt for many years that I belong in NZ and I just cant explain it !
We have just come back from the emigration show in Cov. Needless to say we are more excited than ever now we have spoken to a few people on the Nz stands.

Im sure by now we have bored all our family and friends and anyone else who will listen about our plans to move.
We our coming over between 15.12.09 -09.01.10 travelling from Christchurch to Auckland to have a good look around.

Hey ..Welcome!
Sounds like you've been truly bitten by the Kiwi bug!! (Will get worse during and after visit I reckon!!) ...Oh and be prepared to get addicted to this forum....!!
B x
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Kia Ora and welcome to this NZ forum.

Happy Posting.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:57 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

if you are really interested in living here, then do try to see more than just the touristy stuff when you come.

Although it will be Christmas, and a lot of places will be quiet, you should try to see the inside of normal Kiwi homes, not just hotels and motels.

Look on Trade Me or at local estate agents, and pop along to an "Open Home" if you can....it's a Kiwi passtime ayway.

Also have a look around the shops for items you would need to buy if you lived here (clothes and cars are good examples)

Maybe contact an employer or two in your area of work and go for a visit (like I said it'll be the Xmas hols. so they might be shut). Good to get your face known...and it shows interest.

The schools will be shut so not much chance of looking round them....not sure it tells you a lot anyway as you need to talk to teachers, heads, pupils and parents.

...and try to meet up with a few people who have emigrated, for a coffee or beer. I knwo a lot of people on this and other sites will be only too happy to share their experiences over a drink (most of them will do anything for alcohol ) ......if / when you are in Wellington, give me a shout....
Old Oct 4th 2009, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

A good one might be to check with the camper van companies in Chch and go for a return van.... you get it for $1 a day as long as you take it back to the original hire depot, usually in Akl
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all

Hello,

As others have said, try and do other things apart from the touristy trips etc.
The propsect of living here may be through rose tinted glasses when 'ticky touring' around but it is a totally different view when actually living here.

Once you have a rough travel plan, 'speak' with the guys on here to see if there is anyone in the areas you will be visiting who will be able to meet up and show you around off the tourist trail.

But remember with Christmas and New Year many places will be closed for the period.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MnB
Hey ..Welcome!
Sounds like you've been truly bitten by the Kiwi bug!! (Will get worse during and after visit I reckon!!) ...Oh and be prepared to get addicted to this forum....!!
B x
I will be a regular on here when I get the chance as most of the family Hog it of an evening will have to start booking a window !
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Kia Ora and welcome to this NZ forum.

Happy Posting.
Thanks for the warm welcome
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
Hi there,

if you are really interested in living here, then do try to see more than just the touristy stuff when you come.

Although it will be Christmas, and a lot of places will be quiet, you should try to see the inside of normal Kiwi homes, not just hotels and motels.

Look on Trade Me or at local estate agents, and pop along to an "Open Home" if you can....it's a Kiwi passtime ayway.

Also have a look around the shops for items you would need to buy if you lived here (clothes and cars are good examples)

Maybe contact an employer or two in your area of work and go for a visit (like I said it'll be the Xmas hols. so they might be shut). Good to get your face known...and it shows interest.

The schools will be shut so not much chance of looking round them....not sure it tells you a lot anyway as you need to talk to teachers, heads, pupils and parents.

...and try to meet up with a few people who have emigrated, for a coffee or beer. I knwo a lot of people on this and other sites will be only too happy to share their experiences over a drink (most of them will do anything for alcohol ) ......if / when you are in Wellington, give me a shout....
Thanks for the advice
We will be staying at Hutt Park top 10 Holiday on the 27th -29th hopefully
I should get a good look around and hopefully arrange a meet up
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by garfield250
As others have said, try and do other things apart from the touristy trips etc.
The propsect of living here may be through rose tinted glasses when 'ticky touring' around but it is a totally different view when actually living here.

Once you have a rough travel plan, 'speak' with the guys on here to see if there is anyone in the areas you will be visiting who will be able to meet up and show you around off the tourist trail.

But remember with Christmas and New Year many places will be closed for the period.
Many Thanks for the reply
We are staying with friends in Auckland for the last few days so I hope to get a chance to meet up with as many locals ,Expats, employers etc as poss
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by alanmacc
A good one might be to check with the camper van companies in Chch and go for a return van.... you get it for $1 a day as long as you take it back to the original hire depot, usually in Akl
Thanks
Have already booked the campervan came with free ferrycrossing !
Probably added on to the price anyway but not to bothered.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds silly but bring one of your weekly shopping reciepts and have a look aroung one of the
bigger supermarkets to get an idea of what you'll be spending each week on food and essentials.
Not the most exciting holiday activity but it will definately come in handy when working out what you need to earn in the future.

look in the weekly free real estate papers for houses you can afford and go
to see one or two. Look at the neighbourhood around the house and think will
your price range give you a house in an area you would be happy to live in.

Read up on the New Zealand right turn give way rule, it takes a bit of getting used to and you dont want to T bone some one in your rental campervan.

North island best beaches are on the east coast but lots of nice beaches
on the coromandle, bay of plenty and bay of islands.

Try a kayak tour at Taupo. They are very gentle and ideal for all the family.

At a junction with a STOP sign, STOP. dont just slow down and go if you think its safe.
The police will stop you if you dont stop dead when it tells you to.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by colandros
Sounds silly but bring one of your weekly shopping reciepts and have a look aroung one of the
bigger supermarkets to get an idea of what you'll be spending each week on food and essentials.
Not the most exciting holiday activity but it will definately come in handy when working out what you need to earn in the future.

look in the weekly free real estate papers for houses you can afford and go
to see one or two. Look at the neighbourhood around the house and think will
your price range give you a house in an area you would be happy to live in.

Read up on the New Zealand right turn give way rule, it takes a bit of getting used to and you dont want to T bone some one in your rental campervan.

North island best beaches are on the east coast but lots of nice beaches
on the coromandle, bay of plenty and bay of islands.

Try a kayak tour at Taupo. They are very gentle and ideal for all the family.

At a junction with a STOP sign, STOP. dont just slow down and go if you think its safe.
The police will stop you if you dont stop dead when it tells you to.
Good idea regarding the shopping thanks
Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:39 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Hello and welcome to the forum, you've certainly come to the right place for information. Sorry I can't offer any but I'm not there unfortunately. I think I know how you feel about New Zealand, I feel the same way too, I'm in love with the place and it almost feels like I belong there, not here in Egypt where I am. Unfortunately things have taken a turn to the worse for us and we may not get there any time soon, if ever.

I hope you have a lovely trip and that all goes very smoothly for you
Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kija
Hello and welcome to the forum, you've certainly come to the right place for information. Sorry I can't offer any but I'm not there unfortunately. I think I know how you feel about New Zealand, I feel the same way too, I'm in love with the place and it almost feels like I belong there, not here in Egypt where I am. Unfortunately things have taken a turn to the worse for us and we may not get there any time soon, if ever.

I hope you have a lovely trip and that all goes very smoothly for you
Sorry to hear you might not be able to make it !
Thanks we will try not to bore many people about our ideas of moving over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.