Canstaff

Old May 18th 2015, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

saddy66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canstaff

Hi my son has been offered a joiners job via Canstaff in Christchurch. He's 19 yrs old time served with all his qualifications.
He's been told about the relocation package they provide and that they don't charge for this? ie the accommodation, airport transfers etc. is this correct?
The only downsides are the wage 20 dollars an hour and being tied in for at least 6 months with the agency.
On the flip side my sister who lives in Auckland has told me that there is plenty of work there for Joiners.
So my question would be should he go and take a chance in Auckland of getting work or go with Canstaff who have guaranteed him work?
Old May 18th 2015, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canstaff

I think with a browse or search, you'll find this subject discussed time and again elsewhere in the forums.
Old May 18th 2015, 9:23 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...-804234/page3/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...church-853486/

here's a couple for you
Old May 19th 2015, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saddy66
He's 19 yrs old time served with all his qualifications.
Wow, You can be fully skilled at 19 now

Apprenticeships used to 4 or 5 years, what's happened ??
Old May 19th 2015, 4:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

$20 is far too low for a fully qualified time served career tradesman. I would also beware any relocation package which tied you to an agency unless they will give a legal written guarantee that there will be a firm job offer from a quality employer at the end of that period.

What quals does he hold please? C&G / NVQ to what level + on the tools experience.

Time served for New Zealand means a good 4 years on the tools as an apprentice to a national certificate standard. The equivalent would need to be a UK advanced level 3 C&G/NVQ.

Is he looking to go to New Zealand for a bit of other country experience or is he looking to remain long term and permanently.

As he is 19 he could look to a working holiday visa.
Old May 19th 2015, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bevs
He served a 3 yr UK apprenticeship and gained the NVQ level 2 diplomas and is in his 4th year on the tools.
He isn't looking to remain in NZ he just wants a change of scenery before he has any commitments.
I would rather he went to Auckland were my sister is, the working holiday visa sound like a good idea rather than him being tied to the agency.
Old May 19th 2015, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Canstaff

Thanks
I had read through these before posting.
Old May 19th 2015, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bearskin
I think with a browse or search, you'll find this subject discussed time and again elsewhere in the forums.
Thanks
I've read a few on here.
Old May 19th 2015, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Justcol
Wow, You can be fully skilled at 19 now

Apprenticeships used to 4 or 5 years, what's happened ??
Fully skilled can't see that in my post

UK apprenticeships for Joiners are now 3 years hes served his time and gained the qualifications NVQs.

These replaced your 4-5 year City and Guilds.

"Confused" Time moves on.
Old May 19th 2015, 11:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It really does sound like his best option is to uplift a working holiday visa. <--- please click the link.

This allows him to enter New Zealand for the purpose of traveling and seeing something of this country. He is allowed to work. It doesn't have to be in his trade at all. It could be something fun. It also gives him freedom to move around the country.

For instance , he could travel to your sister. Work for a while to get some $$$ under his belt and then pick up one of the tour buses that the younger folk use to see the country cheaply . Along the way he could hop on and hop off working in between if needs be. He could be in NZ for a year up to 23 months.

Further. After this and if he still feels that urge to have overseas experiences , he could uplift an Australian working holiday visa, or perhaps one for Canada.

--------------------------------------

With regard to the phrase 'time served' within the trades.
Time served does mean a full 4 to 5 year 'apprenticeship'. It is a term that came from when you finally passed the C&G advanced level and received your indentures. As you say time moves on , however the standard or level hasn't worldwide.
Apprenticeship still means working on the tools alongside training & course work. Time served still means trained and on the tools experience to what is considered an advanced level. This could be C&G and/or NVQ. Level 3 is the advanced level and that is seen as "fully qualified / time served".

If your son was looking to emigrate to New Zealand using joiner as his skilled trade occupation then he would need to be at level 3 to match the standard of the NZ trained joiners. At level 2 he would be seen as just 66% trade able not 100%

That doen't mean he couldn't or won't be able to find work in the trade here in NZ /Oz/Canada. He will. Just that this level is not seen as fully skilled or as trained and skilled as one could be in the trade..... if you see what I mean.
In simple terms , not that a level 2 is unskilled as such but that there is still some training and experience to go.

This actually tells me something about the Canstaff offer and rate. I was originally going to say that apprentices half way through their training would hope to be on $20 an hour . I may be way off the mark & doing the offer a huge dis-service but I would suggest that the aim of the offer would be to get your son out to Christchurch on only a six month contract which could well be terminated at the end of whatever building contract was going on. Offer him digs (bunkhouse perhaps) and have him work full-time as a trade monkey with the fully qualified trade guys. In harsh words - cheap labour !

Of course , he could still do that if he wishes and at the end of the 6 months travel on up to your sister in Auckland using a 6 month visitor visa. If he did find a job offer - any job offer - there he could uplift a temporary work permit .

Please note however , that joiners are only in shortage in the Christchurch and Canterbury region, nowhere else, so even if a building/carpentry company offered your son work up in Auckland , that employer would have to prove to New Zealand Immigration that there was no New Zealand young man who is an NZ resident or citizen that could do that work or be trained for that work. As your son is not to the NVQ level 3, the employer might well have a fight on their hands as there are young Kiwi lads that would be looking for that level of trade work . I feel any trade job offer would have to be very temporary - 6 months or so - and be shown to be of a labouring standard. A transient job paying labouring wages which might well be less than $20 per hour.

I really do thing that the working holiday visa is the way for him to go if he is to enjoy the experience.

Not for me to say at all but I will anyway as a time served plumbers wife with tradesmen in both our families . Once your son has enjoyed his overseas experiences for however long that may be, I would encourage him to finish his trade education to C&G/NVQ level 3. It will pay dividends .

Anyway. Come back with your thoughts.

We are all happy to help in some way if we can.

Also anyone else looking in please. Is there anything that I have written that is a bit off the mark or that could be more helpful.
Old May 20th 2015, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bevs

I really appreciate you taking the time to provide this valuable information and links.
This information will be very helpful going forward.

Many thanks.
Old May 22nd 2015, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

jonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond repute

I came over with Canstaff about 18 months ago. The remuneration package that they offer is free. The reason they will be offering $20 per hour is basically because of his age. It can increase depending on he good at his job he is.
Tying him into a contract with them for 6 months isn't a bad thing because he will be settling in for that time plus he can move from client to client until he finds a company that he is happy with.
I don't know the ins and outs of a working holiday visa, it could be a good thing for him but the agency will help him out with anything where as if he came over on his own he wouldn't have that support in chch. Hope this helps
Old May 22nd 2015, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jonesy115
I came over with Canstaff about 18 months ago. The remuneration package that they offer is free. The reason they will be offering $20 per hour is basically because of his age. It can increase depending on he good at his job he is.
Tying him into a contract with them for 6 months isn't a bad thing because he will be settling in for that time plus he can move from client to client until he finds a company that he is happy with.
I don't know the ins and outs of a working holiday visa, it could be a good thing for him but the agency will help him out with anything where as if he came over on his own he wouldn't have that support in chch. Hope this helps
Thanks for the info jonesy it's nice to get a reply from you as yours was the thread I read when he got the offer. It gave us a good insight of how it can work with Canstaff.

Are you still working in NZ?
Old May 22nd 2015, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

jonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I'm still here, I got a permanent job with a client of canstaff. What they don't tell you is if they introduce you to a firm then either the firm buys out your contract or you work 1000 hours before you can move over to them for free. 1000 hours is close to the 6 months you stay with the agency before you can move on if you want to.
Old May 22nd 2015, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jonesy115
Yeah I'm still here, I got a permanent job with a client of canstaff. What they don't tell you is if they introduce you to a firm then either the firm buys out your contract or you work 1000 hours before you can move over to them for free. 1000 hours is close to the 6 months you stay with the agency before you can move on if you want to.
Nice one.

So all in all I'm presuming that it was the right move for you to go with Canstaff as you are now settled in NZ.

On arrival did they find you work with a client straight away and how easy was it for you to move between clients and accomadation if you weren't happy where you were placed?

Hope you don't mind me asking questions as its a big decision as you are fully aware of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.