British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cannot wait to get to Auckland. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cannot-wait-get-auckland-436296/)

Cava Fizz Mar 21st 2007 10:12 pm

Cannot wait to get to Auckland.

Fly out on the 27th June for one year, and am counting the days down now! Litreally every day it gets closer I get more excited every day. Worse than when I use to wait for Christmas!

Anyone got any tips of good sites to search for flats on net on the Budget side.

Is their much of a market of just room renting etc...

What have I got to look forward to in Auckland, no doom please!

P2L Mar 21st 2007 10:16 pm

Re: Cannot wait to get to Auckland.

Originally Posted by Cava Fizz (Post 4544039)
Fly out on the 27th June for one year, and am counting the days down now! Litreally every day it gets closer I get more excited every day. Worse than when I use to wait for Christmas!

Anyone got any tips of good sites to search for flats on net on the Budget side.

Have a look on www.trademe.co.nz

Beachcombers Mar 22nd 2007 12:12 am

There are heaps of ad's for flatmates/room mates advertised in the local press as well, another good source is the notice boards at the local supermarket.

Littletoe Mar 22nd 2007 6:24 am

Your'll have no worries when you get here, there are tons of ads for flatmates wanted or small one bed flats at reasonable prices. As Beachcombers said, there are loads in supermarkets as well, just saw a few when I got back from pac n save. If you want to message just before you go, I can get some for you and you could make enquiries over the phone.

Cava Fizz Mar 22nd 2007 10:00 am

Thanks for the info.

SarahB Mar 22nd 2007 10:11 am

We live 20 minutes outside of Auckland... its lovely here and the views are to die for! Theres plenty to do round Auckland and youre never far from a beach. Its pretty mild here too but can be wet in the winter. I'm sure you'll like it... good luck! So how many days and hours left in UK then?? :D :lol:

cherry Mar 22nd 2007 10:46 am

We could not wait to get to Auckland either as it is the first stop from the UK ,then we got onto our flight to Wellington ASAP and onward to our destination where we live now.I know where we would rather be :thumbsup:

Ting Tong comes to mind,Little Britain phrase:rofl: Rice or chips :eek:

Cava Fizz Mar 22nd 2007 11:54 am

Originally Posted by cherry (Post 4546166)
We could not wait to get to Auckland either as it is the first stop from the UK ,then we got onto our flight to Wellington ASAP and onward to our destination where we live now.I know where we would rather be :thumbsup:

Ting Tong comes to mind,Little Britain phrase:rofl: Rice or chips :eek:

Nice one for that totally constructive...

Cava Fizz Mar 22nd 2007 11:58 am

Originally Posted by SarahB (Post 4546010)
We live 20 minutes outside of Auckland... its lovely here and the views are to die for! Theres plenty to do round Auckland and youre never far from a beach. Its pretty mild here too but can be wet in the winter. I'm sure you'll like it... good luck! So how many days and hours left in UK then?? :D :lol:

4 months and less than 5 days

SarahB Mar 22nd 2007 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Cava Fizz (Post 4546512)
4 months and less than 5 days

Cool... have you been to Auckland before?? Any idea what part youre going to live in??

I didnt really know what to expect before moving as we didnt have enough money to do a reccie beforehand... I wasnt happy living in Auckland as Im just an old country gal really... but as soon as we found Beachlands we loved it... I can get to Botany shopping centre in 20 minutes and we can walk to the beach. Plenty of fields nearby for me to keep a horse and I never get fed up with the views.

How come youre only coming for a year??

Cava Fizz Mar 22nd 2007 8:09 pm

Only going for a year as it is my placement year from uni. I have to go back to finish it one day unless my GF gets an amazing job and can support me for the rest of my life:D HA HA now i'm dreaming.

We want to live as central as possible in Auckland and are happy to negate size, quality for location. I am originally from the country as well, but for time being we want to be in the centre of 'it' all which is why we chose Auckland because from the sounds of it is the most *lively* city in NZ.

One day though I do have dreams of living somewhere in NZ and just living in the middle of nowhere next to a river....

How long have you been there?

Loving it all?

The Weezer Mar 23rd 2007 6:10 am

There are several very good Korean restaurants not far from the
Borders book store.
Just down the hill from the Customs House, there's a very odd, but interesting antique store, run by a man who looks and talks like
an old salt. It's a fairly deserted part of town, but it's not a long
walk from the Britomart train station.

Cava Fizz Mar 23rd 2007 8:53 am

Excellant I love Korean food. Much prefer it to Chineses food.

For the pedants I mean the Chinese food we eat in England; I realise it is probably nothing like what is eaten in China.

4 months and 4 days now.

P18PPS Mar 23rd 2007 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Cava Fizz (Post 4548574)
Only going for a year as it is my placement year from uni. I have to go back to finish it one day unless my GF gets an amazing job and can support me for the rest of my life:D HA HA now i'm dreaming.

We want to live as central as possible in Auckland and are happy to negate size, quality for location. I am originally from the country as well, but for time being we want to be in the centre of 'it' all which is why we chose Auckland because from the sounds of it is the most *lively* city in NZ.

One day though I do have dreams of living somewhere in NZ and just living in the middle of nowhere next to a river....

How long have you been there?

Loving it all?

If you want central city living, with easy access of the city itself, bars, clubs, etc etc then Ponsonby is lovely - though fairly upmarket and therefore expensive. Parnell is the other side of the city centre and is also upmarket and expensive, if you want something a bit more affordable then the Karanghape Road which is the top of Queen Street (which is the main drag thru town) around Newton is affordable and a very "colourful" place to live! Lots of students aswell as nice appartments, bars, clubs (inc Strip), 24 hour cafes, and "alternative lifestylers"! We rented here for a few weeks when we first landed - great intro to the city though not for us with 2 young daughters!

Cava Fizz Mar 23rd 2007 9:20 am

excellant that Karanghape Road sounds like fun, might give it a look. How far is it from the harbour/water/beach?