Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

cannot stop crying

cannot stop crying

Old Jul 12th 2009, 6:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: cannot stop crying

Hey there Gob-Stopper Eyeballs formerly known as Deb_Steve.
Welcome to NZ.
It will get much better
With time
Honest
Injuns

Seriously, a warm welcome to New Zealand and well done you for getting through what is a totally traumatic experience IMHO. I so know about the gut-wrenching crying thing . Many of us do and it is terrible. No two ways about that.

We don't all jump off the plane ( once it's landed you understand ,else it would be imminent death whilst crying the eyeballs out ) and go wow wizz !! , aint it all great !! Sometimes it takes a little time and that is perfectly normal.

Allow yourself to enjoy the start of your new life. This is a stunning country and a brave new world.

As TeeBrown says, give it a bit of time. Soak up the countryside vierws , meet a few new friends, enjoy having arrived .....

.... and anytime you want to groan ,moan and bewail , we are here .

Welcome to NZ.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 7:41 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb_steve
I feel so drained, I must have cried for the full week before the final goodbye.My dad and grandson were the hardest as my grandson who is 2 had no idea this was goodbye for a long time and my dad I do not exoect to ever see again.
KIA ORA

Re Your Grandson, Kids adapt to new situation very well... Thanks to internet & skype you can organize a fortnightly or monthly catch up where you get all updates and get to see him as well as rest of family.. It helps me )

Re Your Dad, I dont know the details but I feel you may be a bit harsh there... Nowadays, NZ is not so far from UK & Europe (thanks to all the airlines who are battling for our hard earned $)... I've not been here long, but met some "expats" who are going home every year or more frequently (or less)...

Enjoy settling in!
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of
Cool Re: cannot stop crying

WEL DONE YOU TWO!!!!

and welcome to NEW PLYMOUTH xxx its a beautiful place to live although been pretty windy today, hope your settling in okay, ill send you a private message with our contact details so we can arrange a get together for that beer!!!!

Andrea x:drinkwin e:

Well we are here now and I have to say saying goodbye was harder than I had anticipated.

I feel so drained, I must have cried for the full week before the final goodbye.My dad and grandson were the hardest as my grandson who is 2 had no idea this was goodbye for a long time and my dad I do not exoect to ever see again.

I had managed to stop crying on arrival at Auckland and was at the final passport control and the inspector on finishing checking our docs said 'welcolme home'. How nice was that, well there was me crying again.

We are spending a few days in Auckland then driving over to new plymouth were we will be living. I am trying to look forward and not dwell on family back in the uk and am trying to refer to nz as home from now on
Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teebrown
Top tip, we hired a car one way, alot cheaper to the airport than a taxi (we were coming from Bristol) and we definatley knew our luggage would get in, even though some of it was sitting on the kids lap and wedged under my legs, and we got it half price as we picked up from major airport and dropped off at major airport.

Good luck
Great tip Tee...Thanx for that! So pleased that you are getting on great

This post has had me in bits....trying to read it out to hubby and crying at the same time. What am I like.... We are no way near to going yet but already feeling emotional....I will be a wreck by the time we do go. Hubby is giving me that pitying look....arse!

I do think however thats its a healthy emotion (well my excuse anyway). Its a grieving process.....leaving all you know and understand to start all over again especially when you are not a spring chicken

Big up to all those that have been and are brave enough to give it a go.

Great to hear OP has landed. Good luck Hun
Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

I think most of us about to take that great leap into the unknown have been in bits reading this thread, I know I have, and probably those of you already there can easily relate to it.
There are plenty of tears around at the moment and thats just from us!
Will it stop us coming over? Not in a million years Its just another hurdle we have to get over isnt it?!

Agree with everyone about the airport, we have already told everyone we dont want anybody to come to the airport with us, way too emotional for everyone concerned.

Last edited by RobDon; Jul 12th 2009 at 9:38 am.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:03 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Well we are here now and I have to say saying goodbye was harder than I had anticipated.

I had managed to stop crying on arrival at Auckland and was at the final passport control and the inspector on finishing checking our docs said 'welcolme home'. How nice was that, well there was me crying again.

We are spending a few days in Auckland then driving over to new plymouth were we will be living. I am trying to look forward and not dwell on family back in the uk and am trying to refer to nz as home from now on
Awww hugs & Best wishes for your 'new life' lol B x