Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can you move to NZ as a Mechanical printing engineer

Can you move to NZ as a Mechanical printing engineer

Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

_Australia will become famous soon enough
Default Can you move to NZ as a Mechanical printing engineer

Hi, my father has asked me to post this for him. He is a Mechanical printing engineer, he has informed me that he's been looking on the NZ immigration website but it doesnt says if it is or isnt a skill shortage - has anyone else a mechanical printing engineer who has moved?

and also he wanted to know where the best place to do this with the work - he is looking at the North Island somewhere

Thank you
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Can you move to NZ as a Mechanical printing engineer

MINOR GROUP 392 PRINTING TRADES WORKERS
PRINTING TRADES WORKERS compose and set type prior to printing, set up and operate printing presses, bind and finish printed products, and prepare stencils and operate screen printing equipment.
Does he do the above?
Old Feb 9th 2008, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

no he doesnt, he does more the engineering side of it. He fixes the large printing presses when they break down or have a mechanical problem
Old Feb 9th 2008, 6:33 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

How we will assess whether employment is skilled

From 4 February we will use the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) as the basis for assessing whether an applicant's job or job offer is 'skilled employment'. The ANZSCO is a list of occupations, which provides a 'skill level' for occupations, a description of the core tasks, and the qualifications and/or work experience needed for a person to do the job.

What we will consider 'skilled employment'

The ANZSCO gives occupations a 'skill level' between one and five – 1 is the highest, 5 is the lowest. In general, we will consider occupations that have skill levels 1, 2, or 3, to be 'skilled employment'. Applicants will have to show that their job/offer is consistent with the ANZSCO's description of the occupation, and that they have the qualifications and/or work experience to do the job (and in some cases meet a minimum salary requirement) . See below for full details, including exceptions to the above, clarification, and other changes to the Skilled Migrant category.

Recognition of qualifications

Qualifications at level 4 of the NZQA's NZ Register of Quality Assured Qualifications (the Register) will now only ordinarily be recognised for the award of points under the SMC if they are also:

* National Qualifications Framework qualifications (Trade Certificates) or
* assessed as comparable to a New Zealand National Certificate by the NZQA.
Your dad will need to have at least a level three.

UNIT GROUP 3232 METAL FITTERS AND MACHINISTS

METAL FITTERS AND MACHINISTS fit and assemble fabricated metal parts into products, set up machining tools, production machines and textile machines, and operate machining tools and machines to shape metal stock and castings.

Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.

In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.

Tasks Include:
o studying drawings and specifications to determine suitable material, method and sequence of operations, and machine settings
o fitting fabricated metal parts into products and assembling metal parts and subassemblies to produce machines and equipment
o checking fabricated and assembled metal parts for accuracy, clearance and fit using precision measuring instruments
o setting guides, stops and other controls on machining tools, setting up prescribed cutting and shaping tools and dies in machines and presses, and setting controls for textile machines
o forming metal stock and castings to fine tolerances using machining tools to press, cut, grind, plane, bore and drill metal
o cutting, threading, bending and installing hydraulic and pneumatic pipes and lines
o preparing pattern mechanisms to control the operation of textile machines used to spin, weave, knit, sew and tuft fabric
o diagnosing faults and performing operational maintenance of machines, and overhauling and repairing mechanical parts and fluid power equipment
o may erect machines and equipment on-site

<snip>

323299 METAL FITTERS AND MACHINISTS NEC

This occupation group covers Metal Fitters and Machinists not elsewhere classified.

Skill Level: 3

Occupations in this group include:
Printing Engineer
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]+Machinists
From the looks of it it looks like your dad would need to have these qualifications to qualify.

As far as getting work as a start I think your dad needs to contact the trade organisations that are involved in this industry and start networking.

Good luck.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Cram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by _Australia
Hi, my father has asked me to post this for him. He is a Mechanical printing engineer, he has informed me that he's been looking on the NZ immigration website but it doesnt says if it is or isnt a skill shortage - has anyone else a mechanical printing engineer who has moved?

and also he wanted to know where the best place to do this with the work - he is looking at the North Island somewhere

Thank you

hi
can i ask what type of printing presses he works on?
I'm a printer on north island if he works or worked on crabtree presses i can send you some links of companies on north island.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cram
hi
can i ask what type of printing presses he works on?
I'm a printer on north island if he works or worked on crabtree presses i can send you some links of companies on north island.
He works on the crabtree presses as well and has done this for 15 years, if you could send me some links to pass onto him that would be fantastic!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 4:10 am
Just Joined

Cram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by _Australia
He works on the crabtree presses as well and has done this for 15 years, if you could send me some links to pass onto him that would be fantastic!

hi

ive just pm'ed you