Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can you give me some advice

Can you give me some advice

Old Dec 2nd 2007, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

lilybelle has a spectacular aura aboutlilybelle has a spectacular aura aboutlilybelle has a spectacular aura about
Default Can you give me some advice

Hello!

I am kinda new to the idea of NZ so was wondering what you guys think of the likelihood that I could live and work as a lone parent in NZ with a four and six year old. My brother lives there, so I will have some family support, and have immigrated successfully before so know what I am getting myself in to! It's just that the more I think about it the more I like the idea of NZ rather than where I am now.

So what age do kids start school? Is childcare affordable/ available in Christchurh? What is Christchurch like?

Also I am and adult educator by trade/ could become a recruitment consultant again, so what the liklihood be of me finding a job that would be prepared to help me get a WP and what is the process VERY complicated? My head is already spinning.

I will have money in the bank, energy and enthusiam to enter NZ with, I just could really do with some REAL direction and advice from people already living the dream........

Thanks again
Lilybelle, x
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:04 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Can you give me some advice

Originally Posted by lilybelle
Hello!

I am kinda new to the idea of NZ so was wondering what you guys think of the likelihood that I could live and work as a lone parent in NZ with a four and six year old. My brother lives there, so I will have some family support, and have immigrated successfully before so know what I am getting myself in to! It's just that the more I think about it the more I like the idea of NZ rather than where I am now.
Hello lilybelle. (Sweet name, that)

Yes, I imagine you can make a go of it in New Zealand as a single parent. Many do, so there is no reason why you can't do it as well.

So what age do kids start school? Is childcare affordable/available in Christchurch?
Kids can start primary school on their fifth birthday. After-school and before-school care is usually available at most schools for a fee. Expect nearly a hundred dollars a week for each kid if you do both morning and afternoon sessions. That's what I was paying for my daughter. Check with the primary school your children attend. The staff are usually quite helpful.

If and when you get permanent residency and depending on your income you may want to apply for the Working For Families benefit. This fortnightly stipend will be deposited into you bank account to help you with your family budget.

What is Christchurch like?
It's the largest city on the South Island with a population of about 350,000 more or less. It has quite good services for a city of this size, probably to do with it being the primary city in the South Island.

There is a decent university - University of Canterbury - in the city and just outside of town there is another university - Lincoln University. So yeah, plenty of opportunities to keep the old brain in shape.

There's plenty of shopping opportunities as there are more than a few malls and there are boutique thingies in the central city if that is more your thing. For cheap odds and sods you will soon become acquainted with the Warehouse (AKA the Big Red Shed).

Christchurch is flat as a pancake for the most part except for the port hills on the south end of town. There are lots of gardens and the city council does a fairly competent job at gardening. The beach is wide and sandy, but the water is a bit chilly. There's a pier at New Brighton Beach.

There are no real hardcore no-go areas in Christchurch. The city centre can see some agro drunken numbnuts on weekend nights though. Most of the suburbs are generally OK (to be honest, some are less desirable suburbs such as Linwood, Aranui, Bexly and Hornby, but even there it's not that bad).

Expect your first winter to be a cold bastard unless you are fortunate to find a warm house. Housing stock can be a bit shocking. But hey, you learn heating strategies and learn to cope.

Also I am and adult educator by trade/could become a recruitment consultant again, so what the likelihood be of me finding a job that would be prepared to help me get a WP and what is the process VERY complicated?
The process is really quite simple. You find an employer who is willing to make you a job offer. If the offer isn't on the Skills Shortage List your prospective employer needs to provide evidence that no suitably qualified local Kiwi could be found. With your job offer and contract in hand along with the other evidence that shows you to be suitably qualified and evidence of no local applicants you take the whole shooting match down to New Zealand Immigration Services, fill in a couple of forms (really easy) along with your children's student permit forms and you should walk out of there with blue work permit and student permits safely stuck into passports.

My head is already spinning.
Make a cuppa tea. That's the British cure for stress, innit? That, or booze.

I will have money in the bank, energy and enthusiasm to enter NZ with, I just could really do with some REAL direction and advice from people already living the dream...
Jaysus...I live here and it ain't no dream. It's as real as anywhere else. It's nice in many ways, but it does have its problems same as anywhere else.

Thanks again
Lilybelle, x
Good luck, Lilybelle.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

lilybelle has a spectacular aura aboutlilybelle has a spectacular aura aboutlilybelle has a spectacular aura about

Thank you so much for that!

So are you telling me that I can arrive in NZ and then get a job?

Do many people do that then?

I don't have stock, and am currently in -20C somewhere a long way from NZ so don't worry about the winter lol!

Lilybelle x
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:25 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Thank you so much for that!
De nada. Mai pen rai. It's nothing.

So are you telling me that I can arrive in NZ and then get a job?
Yeah. It's quite doable. Many do exactly that.

Do many people do that then?
Yes.

I don't have stock, and am currently in -20C somewhere a long way from NZ so don't worry about the winter lol!

Lilybelle x
Well, you then know the old canard - There's no bad weather, only bad clothing choices.

Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

You are awsome lol!

Well seeing as you are busy skiving off work or just spoldging out in front of the net, I will be cheeky and ask if you have a link to a web site for homes for sale!

I would really appreciate it! Gracias

Lilybelle x
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:37 pm

You are awesome, lol!
That's what I tell my wife and kid, but they see through that mighty quick!

Well seeing as you are busy skiving off work or just spoldging out in front of the net...
I am currently working nights, so no, I'm not skiving off work, and yes, I am sploldging out as the wife and kid have left for the day. (I guess. Spoldging out? That's a new one )

...I will be cheeky and ask if you have a link to a web site for homes for sale!
Try www.trademe.co.nz or www.allrealestate.co.nz for a start.

I would really appreciate it! Gracias

Lilybelle x
Go for it, mamacita!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Bueno!

Gracias Amigo!

All the best Lilybelle x