Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can we manage on $80k

Can we manage on $80k

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we manage on $80k

Originally Posted by billingham
And that same person complained a month ago "Everything is so expensive here". How very, very strange.
Billingham: Your posts have been somewhat negative at present, especially with regard to NZ and the cost of living. (but then as have mine in the past). Yes it has its faults, don't we all... but ultimately if you have a budget you find a way to live on it - as we have. As for could we provide for 2 additional children, in terms of clothing and food, for sure. I remember being brought up in a very low-income household - as a lot of families do. You find a way to get by. Of course.. anything less than $50,000 and yes you would really struggle. We don't run cars as we deliberately chose to live somewhere that we wouldn't require cars to get to and from work - so we pay more on rent compared to living 30-40 minutes up the motorway.

When comparing to the pound.. yes things did initially seem expensive - and some things always will be due to the effort to import some goods. Once I stopped converting and just think about everything in dollar terms, I realised that actually... we get a really good shop with our money.

FYI.. we use Foodtown/Countdown as well as local fresh veg shops, can easily buy a weeks worth of main meals... i.e. sausages, chicken, steak, beef mince, chips (fries), potatoes, breakfast cereals, 3 loaves of bread, pita breads, ham, breakfast bars, lettuce, fruit & veg, biscuits, soup, chocolate, tea, milk, orange juice... I could go on. But yeah, we make the most of offers and find it very reasonable. The one place we will never shop at again is Pak and Save, it was like Tesco on a Sunday morning (hell).

Am loolah, I can imagine that IS impossible. I hope things get easier for you very soon!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:59 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Good post Davros1984 ....... now does your location need updating?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by davros1984
Billingham: Your posts have been somewhat negative at present, especially with regard to NZ and the cost of living. (but then as have mine in the past). Yes it has its faults, don't we all... but ultimately if you have a budget you find a way to live on it - as we have. As for could we provide for 2 additional children, in terms of clothing and food, for sure. I remember being brought up in a very low-income household - as a lot of families do. You find a way to get by. Of course.. anything less than $50,000 and yes you would really struggle. We don't run cars as we deliberately chose to live somewhere that we wouldn't require cars to get to and from work - so we pay more on rent compared to living 30-40 minutes up the motorway.

When comparing to the pound.. yes things did initially seem expensive - and some things always will be due to the effort to import some goods. Once I stopped converting and just think about everything in dollar terms, I realised that actually... we get a really good shop with our money.

FYI.. we use Foodtown/Countdown as well as local fresh veg shops, can easily buy a weeks worth of main meals... i.e. sausages, chicken, steak, beef mince, chips (fries), potatoes, breakfast cereals, 3 loaves of bread, pita breads, ham, breakfast bars, lettuce, fruit & veg, biscuits, soup, chocolate, tea, milk, orange juice... I could go on. But yeah, we make the most of offers and find it very reasonable. The one place we will never shop at again is Pak and Save, it was like Tesco on a Sunday morning (hell).

Am loolah, I can imagine that IS impossible. I hope things get easier for you very soon!
Yes, but was that thousands of miles away from your support network?

This is a forum to give people a balanced view on whether they (our people) should move to another country. Balance, by defibnition means postives and negatives. If it were left to some on this forum I fear that we would all drown in honey. I have lived in the UK, OZ, NZ... and I can give negatives and positives for each of those countries. It is worrying when some people can only give positives - almost like they are working to an agenda.

If it is ok with you, I will continue to offer my views on working and living in New Zealand, both negatives and positives. I have seen and heard from too many people who have made the wrong decision to move - wrong financially, wrong personally or wrong professionally. However, I firmly believe that despite any negative experiences, moving away from ones homeland, if even for a short time, is a 'very good thing', and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. But, do your homework people, look at forums and make a reasoned decision - isn't that what we are here for - to help people make that right choice?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:14 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

This is a forum to give people a balanced view on whether they (our people) should move to another country. Balance, by defibnition means postives and negatives. If it were left to some on this forum I fear that we would all drown in honey. I have lived in the UK, OZ, NZ... and I can give negatives and positives for each of those countries. It is worrying when some people can only give positives - almost like they are working to an agenda.

If it is ok with you, I will continue to offer my views on working and living in New Zealand, both negatives and positives. I have seen and heard from too many people who have made the wrong decision to move - wrong financially, wrong personally or wrong professionally. However, I firmly believe that despite any negative experiences, moving away from ones homeland, if even for a short time, is a 'very good thing', and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. But, do your homework people, look at forums and make a reasoned decision - isn't that what we are here for - to help people make that right choice?
Great post.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

A balanced view is a necessity, but you contradict other people's experiences. You also ridicule and are condescending. Other people's opinions are as equally valid as yours.
No one is working to an agenda (unless you are?). Perhaps people ought to be more specific in their posts, but then the posts would be very long and some people would always argue the toss.
Of course the OP can manage on $80k, depending on their circumstances.....
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Woodlea
A balanced view is a necessity, but you contradict other people's experiences. You also ridicule and are condescending. Other people's opinions are as equally valid as yours.
No one is working to an agenda (unless you are?). Perhaps people ought to be more specific in their posts, but then the posts would be very long and some people would always argue the toss.
Of course the OP can manage on $80k, depending on their circumstances.....
A look through your posts would suggest that you have nothing of the sort. Every time I, or anyone else, says anything negative about New Zealand you immediately try to rubbish their argument. This is a forum, for British Expats (the clue is in the website address) to share their thoughts and experiences.

I actually said 'it is almost like they are working to an agenda'. Please try and read posts thoroughly before posting.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

A look through your posts would suggest that you have nothing of the sort.
That's because I don't have any complaints about the part of NZ that I live in.

Every time I, or anyone else, says anything negative about New Zealand you immediately try to rubbish their argument.
No, just providing a balanced view.

This is a forum, for British Expats (the clue is in the website address) to share their thoughts and experiences.
I'm British....

I actually said 'it is almost like they are working to an agenda'. Please try and read posts thoroughly before posting.
How condescending!
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:36 am
Account Closed

In light of what is unfolding in Norway this is an irrelevance. Over and out.