Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can we live on that??

Can we live on that??

Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

seansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really nice
Default Can we live on that??

Hi all, can you help?

We are due to relocate from Oz to Auckland sometime in May - just waiting on my PR from Oz so i can work in NZ. Have been trying to find out cost of living etc for a family of 3.5 (2 adults, 1 toddler, and a screaming baby).

I have been offered a base salary of $135,000 pa what kind of quality of life can we achieve with this, as this is our only source of income.

We are looking at the North Shore as our base, as most of my work will be around the city.

Any advice comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sean
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:13 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we live on that??

Hi

andyi had a "job offer in Auckland" thread, link below

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710585

you may find it useful to read as salary not far off what you're talking about with similar advice requested/given!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:10 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what sort of lifestyle you want and if you're prepared to compromise. Ask yourself if you'd live in a major city in Australia on $100,000 a year and still be able to do all the things you want to do.

Before you make your mind up you should at least go over and take a look at Auckland and the North Shore, go to a few open homes, visit kindies, look at the state schools (you won't be able to afford private without a larger salary/second income) see what the roads are like at peak time, get a loan to fill a car with petrol (joking) etc.

You were headed for Mairangi Bay weren't you? you'll find it a lot different to the coast of NSW because it's very built up there because of the proximity to Auckland and the way school zones get shopped out, the property prices will be similar though.

Ask someone who knows about these things how long your Australian PR will last for in NZ, you may have to get NZ PR before it expires. Will your employer meet the costs of this when it happens?

If you own property in Australia I advise you to keep it on and rent it out until you're sure you want to stay in New Zealand.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

coffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nice

We coming out soon on our Oz Pr visa its ok for nz PR as it gets recognized on enrty but if it runs out whilst your in NZ then you will find yourself unable to get back in the country without a relavent visa...

the're are limitations on gaining RRV etc you need to be aware of..

We arrive shortly before our expires

Using another PR visa to get NZ PR is called "shifting" aparently.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seansueplustwo
Hi all, can you help?

We are due to relocate from Oz to Auckland sometime in May - just waiting on my PR from Oz so i can work in NZ. Have been trying to find out cost of living etc for a family of 3.5 (2 adults, 1 toddler, and a screaming baby).

I have been offered a base salary of $135,000 pa what kind of quality of life can we achieve with this, as this is our only source of income.

We are looking at the North Shore as our base, as most of my work will be around the city.

Any advice comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sean
Will you have rent or mortgage to pay? Even if so I think that even in Auckland that money will see you okay. Of course if you decide to send your kids to private school etc you will soon be skint!! But I would say living an average life you would be cool on that. Anyone disagree?

Whilst not Auckland we live in Palmerston North on about $85ish gross (without accommodation expenses), but there are 3 kids, two cars, a dog, 2 cats and a good lifestyle and whilst we save nothing we do not scrimp at all. You will have an extra 50k!!!!!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

seansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really niceseansueplustwo is just really nice

Originally Posted by coffeeaddict
We coming out soon on our Oz Pr visa its ok for nz PR as it gets recognized on enrty but if it runs out whilst your in NZ then you will find yourself unable to get back in the country without a relavent visa...

the're are limitations on gaining RRV etc you need to be aware of..

We arrive shortly before our expires

Using another PR visa to get NZ PR is called "shifting" aparently.
Hi Coffeeaddict - what is RRV??
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Genesis
Will you have rent or mortgage to pay? Even if so I think that even in Auckland that money will see you okay. Of course if you decide to send your kids to private school etc you will soon be skint!! But I would say living an average life you would be cool on that. Anyone disagree?

Whilst not Auckland we live in Palmerston North on about $85ish gross (without accommodation expenses), but there are 3 kids, two cars, a dog, 2 cats and a good lifestyle and whilst we save nothing we do not scrimp at all. You will have an extra 50k!!!!!
Hi Genesis,

Thanks for reply - unfortunately we will have to pay rent i have a 3yr old who will need preschool but thats it for the moment, and we will only have to pay for one car as i get a company car
PR approval seems to be taking forever
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

coffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nice

Originally Posted by seansueplustwo
Hi Coffeeaddict - what is RRV??
Return Residence Visa.. only required if you need to leave the country..
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:55 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

What happens if you get NZ PR, let your Australian PR lapse and you want to go back to Australia. Do you have to apply for it all over again?
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
What happens if you get NZ PR, let your Australian PR lapse and you want to go back to Australia. Do you have to apply for it all over again?
Your RRV has an option to allow you to apply to regain your former PR status. I have spoken to our immigration agent aboput this and she said it is quite common - although more expensive than getting it prior to your AU PR expires. Under this option you are able to apply and be issued with your new PR staus through your RRV outside of Australia.

Hope this helps.

Sean