Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can we afford to move? Please Help!

Can we afford to move? Please Help!

Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Deepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really nice
Default Re: Can we afford to move? Please Help!

Originally Posted by forshy
HI,

We are been here 4 months and set to purchase our house in an expensive part of auckland

1. are we financially worse off making the move? - absolutley!
2. Do we have the luxuries we surrounded ourselves with in the Uk? - No
3. Is may car as good as it was in the UK? - not really
4. Are we in more debt, given the recent move, reccy etc? ( will also have our house in the UK) - god yes!
5. Have i taken two massive career steps backwards - OHHHHH yes!

however.....................

1. Do my kids love it - absolutley never looked back
2. Do i choose which beach to take the dog a walk on every day - Yes
3. Have we increased our quality of life after manchester - defo
4.Can i make a career come back - i am working on it so far so good
5. Are we happy despite missing family/friends - yes
6. Would i change it - NO
7. have we learnt to 'cut our cloth accordingly' - had too!

Its like when people talk about having kids, if you think about the cost you will never afford them! I think this has been our experience and dont get me wrong i have experienced real lows in the last 4 months thinking OMG what have we done - but as we embark on our 2nd mortgage ( in a financially astute manner) I know in my heart of hearts this is the right thing to do as life is just too short to experience regrets about what might have been

So good luck, stay focussed and as lots of people on here have advised me - remind yourself of the reasons you are doing this - mine certainly was not to earn great money and live a lavish life style - although i now have the things money cannot buy - happiness
Agreed 100%
Ifyou cannot afford to live in Auckland on $130,000+ per year you do not know how to manage your finances. We survive on nearly half that have two teenagers two cars a motorbike and enjoy scuba diving and tramping as hobbies and are extremely happy that we made the move.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

We struggle on 120k in Auckland. It is a constant nightmare
But we just bought our first house last year though and everyone tells us that the first few years of a mortgage are the worst

We are paying off some credit card debt at $300 week so I think with out that we would feel pretty flash. The student loan and the pension eat into my wages for sure.

I don't think that we could spend much less

But if we were renting - that would be a different story.

Before our mortgage we rented a little place with our daughter and always felt well off.

I would say if you avoid the flash suburbs for a while you'll be great. After all, it's not like you need to think about school zones for a wee while.

Think about Ellerslie, Onehunga, Hillsborough etc etc. There are lots of family friendly burbs around that are cheap and in easy reach of greenlane
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I often read these types of posts.

i.e.
We cannot manage
We can manage easily.

I do think it would be helpful, in these cases ,to actually back that up with the budget rather than just make the statement .
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:41 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

i.e.
We cannot manage
We can manage easily.

I do think it would be helpful, in these cases ,to actually back that up with the budget rather than just make the statement .
Ah it takes a girl with a level head to be sensible but it will spoil it for Wilester
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:57 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

i.e.
We cannot manage
We can manage easily.

I know where you're coming from, but I also understand it if people don't want to disclose too many details of their personal circumstances.

The common factor in the last two people who were struggling on a relatively high income is that they both have/had high mortgages and were servicing debt on HP and/or credit cards. Those two things are a matter of choice.

An earlier poster that said that NZ was too expensive to live also admitted to taking a 2/3 drop in salary to get there. Hardly surprising that the numbers didn't add up.

WP
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Can we afford to move? Please Help!

Originally Posted by mpg
Afraid so!

In fact the income was $110k from me and around $20k from the Mrs who worked part time. Take home for me was (from memory), about $6k pcm, so it would have been a total take home of around $7k pcm.

Out of that, $2.5k was the monthly mortgage repayments (and we 'only' had a $300k mortgage, which at the time was equal to a £100k mortgage - less then we had in the UK), then we had to have loans for the 2 10 year old cars we bought, HP for the TV, F/F and lawnmower, car, house and buildings insurance, private med insurance was a must, we also were spending a fortune on food (buying in - not going out!), rates, school fees (not private LOL), etc etc.

Once the honeymoon period was over (after about 6 months), and we settled into earning and spending $NZ, we were dumbstruck at the cost of living. Of course we did not starve, and we had a reasonable life but, there was no money left that enabled us to set aside each month for a rainy day or, for our pensions, which really frightened us.

One Easter we took a break in Rotorua (hotel came to about $1,000), and we had to pay with our UK bank cards (still had some money left in the UK).

In fact I have just done the cost of living calculator at http://www.emigratenz.org/cost-of-li...w-zealand.HTML, and with rent / mortgage at $700 per week and the rest of the outgoings between modest and good (good items ie insurance, telephone, which are essential IMO), it was coming out at $120,000 gross earnings - and that excludes any pension.

I would love to come back to NZ, but the reality is that the earnings to the cost of living continues to terrify me.

And from reading the posts on this forum on a regular basis, this cost to earnings ratio continues, and surely people who emigrate to NZ, seek a better life than that of the UK, not a poorer one?
I totally agree with this mpg's words. We too found the cost of living so high, that our quality of life was not as good as it had been in the UK so also returned 18 months later. Just to add we had no debts at all. It was the reality of living on NZ wages

Last edited by Heavenlyscent; Jul 29th 2010 at 6:50 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

tandn is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, thanks so much guys, we really appreciate all your honest advice. It really has helped enormously. We're much closer to making a decision now so we'll keep you all posted and let you know what we decide... It's so exciting and slightly terrifying at the same time!

Huge thanks again
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Ah it takes a girl with a level head to be sensible but it will spoil it for Wilester
Did someone mention a level headed girl... i like my girls with uneven heads
Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

i.e.
We cannot manage
We can manage easily.

For our 335k mortgage cost us 560 week
power 220 month during winter - a lot less in winter
water 40 month
rates 110 month
broadband phone 100 month
credit card 300 week (Trying to pay off as quick as poss though hence high payments)
HP on new bed 167 month
health insurance 70 month
home contents and car 120 month
life insurance 109 month
Food 120 week
Veg 40 week
Afterschool care 51 week
Child activities 20 week
School stuff works out at 10 week
Cleaner 30 fortnight
swimming 13 week
Booze/entertainment 100 week
Mobile 40 month
Pet insurance 12 month
Donation 20 month

Those are the basics I think
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Stormer999
I wouldn't want to do that now.

Originally Posted by WP
I know where you're coming from, but I also understand it if people don't want to disclose too many details of their personal circumstances.

The common factor in the last two people who were struggling on a relatively high income is that they both have/had high mortgages and were servicing debt on HP and/or credit cards. Those two things are a matter of choice.

An earlier poster that said that NZ was too expensive to live also admitted to taking a 2/3 drop in salary to get there. Hardly surprising that the numbers didn't add up.
I know. Putting up basic budgets isn't for everyone although we've had some great budget threads in the past.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 10:17 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't want to do that now.

I know. Putting up basic budgets isn't for everyone although we've had some great budget threads in the past.
They are a lot more informative. I'm surprised by both the things I have in common with other people AND the things that I don't!

WP
Old Jul 30th 2010, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

On $68.5k your take home per fortnight will be $1979.83 assuming you don't join Kiwisaver (pension scheme) you will have just shy of $1,000 per week to play with. You can probably work it backwards from there, looking at how much rent you can afford, rather than trying to work the other way.

For basic necessities you need to eat, heat and light your home and travel to work. From there I guess it's up to you how many 'luxuries' such as going out, hobbies, clothing, broadband/telephone, Sky TV plans you add. Essentially you can afford to live here, however any unexpected large costs will seriously rock you, don't have any rainy day funds.

Rent $400 to $500 per week
Heat & Light $30 to $50 per week depending on time of year
Allow $100 to $130 per month for phones and internet
Weekly groceries $140 to $180 per week
Around $80 to 100 per month for car and house contents insurance
Petrol obviously depends how far you drive to and from work, I average around $30 per week driving 125 kms per week

So far we've spent about $775 of your $989 take home pay and you start to notice that your weekly income doesn't go far and you will not have very much left at the end of each week to spend frivolously at the shops, go on holidays or indeed save for replacing major household items. If you live like this now then it should be no real hardship.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
On $68.5k your take home per fortnight will be $1979.83 assuming you don't join Kiwisaver (pension scheme) you will have just shy of $1,000 per week to play with.
Can I ask how you worked this out as I've been trying to work out what my take home wage will be after tax?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lisamct
Can I ask how you worked this out as I've been trying to work out what my take home wage will be after tax?

This should help
http://www.salaries.co.nz/a/salary-tax-calculator/

If you got a student loan from UK, dont click on student loan as that is for NZ based loans only

We have to sort UK loans out seperately
Old Jul 30th 2010, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp
Thanks, that helps a lot. I was kinda worried as the take home pay from $68 didn't seem much more than I thought I'd be getting at quite a bit less than that annual salary, but it seems my calculations were right...just shows what a difference a higher tax bracket makes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.