Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can my son visit us in NZ ? He has a criminal record

Can my son visit us in NZ ? He has a criminal record

Old May 14th 2010, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

SandyD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can my son visit us in NZ ? He has a criminal record

Hi, can someone please help? My husband and I are emigrating to NZ. All approved and visas all done etc. BUT we have been told that our son, who has a criminal record, will not be able to visit - EVER. Is this the case. He is a UK citizen and is remaining one. But we would like for him to be able to visit us occasionally. Can anyone give us any information. Many thanks
Old May 14th 2010, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice
Default Re: Can my son visit us in NZ ? He has a criminal record

Originally Posted by SandyD
Hi, can someone please help? My husband and I are emigrating to NZ. All approved and visas all done etc. BUT we have been told that our son, who has a criminal record, will not be able to visit - EVER. Is this the case. He is a UK citizen and is remaining one. But we would like for him to be able to visit us occasionally. Can anyone give us any information. Many thanks
Hi

I know he can't fly via America, but I'm not sure about coming into NZ.

Not sure how you would find out.
Old May 15th 2010, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SandyD
Have a look at www.nzis.govt.nz I am sure the awnswer will be in there.
Old May 15th 2010, 5:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Not being nosey or personal but can you say what sorta level of a 'crim' record he has. i.e. A charge for assault. Drink , driving. Borstal for being a bad teenager etc. Banged up.
Old May 15th 2010, 7:00 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm no expert (though do have some dealings with INZ through my job) but one thing you might want to look at is making sure he applies for a visitor visa if he wants to travel to NZ rather than just using visa free status. I think a large number of people hit problems with compliance on arrival at the border if they have a conviction but have travelled visa free. In some cases by applying for a visa they can be issued with one even if they have a conviction (depends on the conviction though). Not declaring or not following correct immigration proceedure can often be more serious than having the conviction itself.

But I would strongly suggest he checks his situation out with INZ. Being refused entry at the border for non-compliance can end up with not being allowed entry for at least 3 years (even if a visa is applied for in advance for a future visit).
Old May 15th 2010, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Without knowing the severity of the crime it's hard for anyone here to say.

This is what INZ have to say:

Under section 7(1) of the Immigration Act we will not grant you a visa or permit if:
you have been convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for 5 years or more (this applies even if any of your offences have later been taken off the record)
in the past 10 years you were convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for 12 months or more
currently, you have a removal order from New Zealand in force against you
you have been deported from any country, including New Zealand
you have been involved in terrorist activities, or belonged to or supported any organisation involved in terrorist activities
it is believed you are likely to commit – or to assist others to commit – criminal or drug offences, or an act of terrorism, in New Zealand
it is believed you are likely – due to any international circumstances – to be a danger to New Zealand’s security or public order
it is believed you are associated with an organisation or group that has criminal objectives or is engaged in criminal activities and for that – or any other reason – you’re considered to be a threat to the public interest or public order of New Zealand.
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...isit/visitors/
Old May 16th 2010, 6:44 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

If he doesn't get disqualified for the above post, make sure he declares his conviction.
He can still be granted a visa, but failing to declare can invalidate one, and prevent reapplication.
Oh, and I've travelled via USA with my convictions. Thankfully they were when I was a lot younger, but even though they are "spent", they got declared.