Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can I live without Kedgeree?

Can I live without Kedgeree?

Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

hosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud of
Default Can I live without Kedgeree?

Now it has occurred to me that I won't be able to get smoked haddock in Auckland........ how the heck will I make Kedgeree? Any substitutes? It's one of our favourites, especially the kids
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Can I live without Kedgeree?

Kedgeree

You can get smoked fish here. Actually you can get lots of smoked fish here but it won't be quite the same.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

hosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud of

Can I get it from anywhere? Any suggestions on which ones to try first?
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:41 am
`

Haddock ? No.

I'll have a think 'bout this.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

won't be able to sleep with anticipation now

I guess with a load of mango chutney you won't be able to tell which fish you've used!!!!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:46 am
`

Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:51 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Friends bought round smoked trout dip the other evening - ooooo it was good!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh, now you have me thinking about smoked haddock, which I hadn't thought about for ayyyges - poop no Cullen Skink either.

Perhaps you could try hot smoked salmon in your kedgeree. It's not like smoked (as in raw salmon), because it is cooked and flaky. It's nice anyway!! You can get it from most supermarkets.

I had a pasta dish in a restaurant that had smoked salmon in a creamy sauce, very nice! So I imagine it would work quite well with rice too.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

corrr the salmon sounds really good, as does the smoked trout dip

Keep them coming, my tummy is rumbling
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:26 am
`

Them's not a smoked white fish though. It needs to be like Haddock , the likes of which I am yet to find here.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Them's not a smoked white fish though. It needs to be like Haddock , the likes of which I am yet to find here.
Waiting in anticipation. I LOVE smoked haddock.
x
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

I take it you can't get smoked Hoki then?
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

No idea but will know soon. OH is a keen fisherman and has just posted the question on a NZ fishing forum...lol
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
No idea but will know soon. OH is a keen fisherman and has just posted the question on a NZ fishing forum...lol
LOL....OH really didn't want to post this question...anyway, some fishermen suggested I try some smoked possum as they reckon it will taste just about the same.....how very rude.....

Their opinion is that fish is a whole different experience in NZ and will taste wonderful compared to smoked haddock
Old Aug 26th 2009, 7:25 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
LOL....OH really didn't want to post this question...anyway, some fishermen suggested I try some smoked possum as they reckon it will taste just about the same.....how very rude.....

Their opinion is that fish is a whole different experience in NZ and will taste wonderful compared to smoked haddock
Yep, can agree on that .... had blue nose, hoki and lemon shark from fush n chup shop......ate out of paper sat by estuary on a warm evening sharing a btl of vino ..... better than any fish I've eaten ever!!

You just wait Maria!
lol B x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.