Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can I join the party?

Can I join the party?

Old Feb 13th 2009, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Denise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to all
Smile Can I join the party?

Hi All

Rob and I (and the kids, 8 &5) are at the start of the process of trying to emigrate to New Zealand. (Taranaki area if possible)

We have had an assessment of our eligibility by a migration agent (are we allowed to name names?) and Rob has come out with a score of 130 points. He doesn't have a job offer yet but we would like to get one to push us up over the magic 140.

Any advice on the whole process would be welcome
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Can I join the party?

Originally Posted by Denise44
Hi All

Rob and I (and the kids, 8 &5) are at the start of the process of trying to emigrate to New Zealand. (Taranaki area if possible)

We have had an assessment of our eligibility by a migration agent (are we allowed to name names?) and Rob has come out with a score of 130 points. He doesn't have a job offer yet but we would like to get one to push us up over the magic 140.

Hi and welcome!
Everyone is really helpful on here.
Good luck with applying if you need any help / advice just ask!
We are just on the long wait now to see if we have been successful! Off to NZ in a week for 3 weeks on a job hunt / holiday!

Jo
Old Feb 14th 2009, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome,

If you have any questions ask away, we will help if we can.

Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of

Hi All

Hi there are you going down the EOI route????
Old Feb 15th 2009, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Denise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to all

Hi

Yes we plan to go down the EOI route as Rob is a bit close to the age threshold for the Work to Residence way.

Really want to get a job offer sorted but we need to wait for his Provisional Registration from the EWRB before we can do much.

I noticed that you are in New Plymouth. That is one of the areas we are really interested in. What's it like to actually live in?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Can I join the party?

Hi

Yes we plan to go down the EOI route as Rob is a bit close to the age threshold for the Work to Residence way.

Really want to get a job offer sorted but we need to wait for his Provisional Registration from the EWRB before we can do much.

I noticed that you are in New Plymouth. That is one of the areas we are really interested in. What's it like to actually live in?
Hi,
It's a wonderful place as they say there aren't many places in the world that you can go walking up a mountain in the morn and be on the beach in the afternoon!!! and it's true the scenery is out of this world pretty much the same as driving through scotland/ireland in most places so "unspoilt". and it was voted one of the best places in the world to live..
My OH is also an electrician but we did the work to residence visa as he'd got a job offer and the EWRB allowed him to come over and do the Health & Safety test to get his Provisional Licence, which he now has and just has to sit his Reg exams in June and he'll be given Full Registration.
We also have an 8 year old and a 5 year old and the schools are fantastic compared to the UK so much more relaxed.. and only have 16 kids to one class!!!!
The only thing i will say is it's tough on the money side, but you soon get used to it, after all we can't have everthing can we???
If you want to know anything else just ask????

Andrea x
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Andrea

When you say its tough money wise, not to be too personal but do you work as well or are you trying to get by on one salary.

I was hoping to get a job too, but was going to wait until we had sorted out a school and the kids had settled in. Is it possible to get jobs that work around school hours. I noticed one in my line of work with hours between 9 and 3 but it was in Wellington. But even with that the kids would need to go to a breakfast or after school club.

Denise

PS When I was looking at some of the school websites, Frankley Primary in New Plymouth really stood out for me - any knowledge/thoughts?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Can I join the party?

Hi Andrea

When you say its tough money wise, not to be too personal but do you work as well or are you trying to get by on one salary.

I was hoping to get a job too, but was going to wait until we had sorted out a school and the kids had settled in. Is it possible to get jobs that work around school hours. I noticed one in my line of work with hours between 9 and 3 but it was in Wellington. But even with that the kids would need to go to a breakfast or after school club.

Denise

PS When I was looking at some of the school websites, Frankley Primary in New Plymouth really stood out for me - any knowledge/thoughts?

Hi Denise,
Yes we are struggling along on one salary at present like you i havebeen looking for a job that fits in round the girls obviously that includes school holidays too as we don't have anyone to leave the children with like we did in the UK!!!

Re: Frankly School i haven't personally been to but the OH did an electrical job there and said it was a nice school, but then again compared to the UK they are all nice

Andrea x
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Andrea

My kids go to a holiday club over here in the UK for some of the time during school holidays. Do they have equivalent things in NZ?

Denise
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Andrea

My kids go to a holiday club over here in the UK for some of the time during school holidays. Do they have equivalent things in NZ?

Denise
Hi Denise,
i really have no idea but i will certainly check it out for you and let you know!!

Andrea x
Old Feb 16th 2009, 1:36 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Can I join the party?

Throwing bricks over the edge of south Auckland overbridges is our equivelant .

Seriously, yes they do but I have no idea who runs them.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Just thought I'd update you on my childcare research.

I found out that there is an organisation called the OSCAR Foundation which runs out of school care. The website is www.oscar.org.nz. You can do a search by location and it tells you of OSCAR approved clubs/programmes in your area.

There are 5 in New Plymouth if you are interested.

Denise

PS. throwing bricks off the bridge sounds fun - is that the Kiwi version of Pooh Sticks?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Can I join the party?

Hi

Just thought I'd update you on my childcare research.

I found out that there is an organisation called the OSCAR Foundation which runs out of school care. The website is www.oscar.org.nz. You can do a search by location and it tells you of OSCAR approved clubs/programmes in your area.

There are 5 in New Plymouth if you are interested.

Denise

PS. throwing bricks off the bridge sounds fun - is that the Kiwi version of Pooh Sticks?
Thanks very much xx
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:32 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Can I join the party?

Yes, but with more skill involved .

Link to inside joke: http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Teenager...ck_at_motorway
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Sorry if my "joke" offended anyone. I didn't appreciate that it was a road bridge. I thought it went over a river.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.