Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can I apply...for skilled migrataion in NZ ..Please give sugession

Can I apply...for skilled migrataion in NZ ..Please give sugession

Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:40 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I apply...for skilled migrataion in NZ ..Please give sugession

Originally Posted by Mgee
Informal/general yes, specific, no.
Trouble is the law as far as I can tell only deals with who is giving advice and the nature of their engagement (ie formal/fee or not), rather than the nature of the advice being given.

My point was that no-one should expect this forum to solve their immigration issues...

*edit. Actually a few websites (an immy forum, a blog) were/are in trouble with NZIS for offering too detailed immigration advice, so forums aren't completely exempt from the rule even though they're free. ...
Don't disagree with any of that re the OP.

However this site is stuffed full of case-specific advice so where does it go from there??? Note "in trouble" with NZIS doesn't mean any laws have been broken, for all NZIS knows we are all licenced advisors....and I am not quite sure on what legal basis NZIS would attack a forum with servers in California carrying specific answers on NZ immigration where the answers are provided by a Brit in Canada to a Bangladeshi in New Orleans....for example...
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK, the forum in question didn't charge any money towards the advice, so free/fee wasn't an issue. Nor did the blog. It was precisely the nature of the advice, i.e. direct, detailed advice aimed at individuals that got them in trouble. The problem is that it is not us who decides where the line goes -it seems to be at the discretion of the NZIS who then lodge a formal legal process if they feel someone has breached the line.

There is case-specific and case-specific advice: saying that "if you meet criteria Z, you're likely to be accepted as per NZIS document 123" or "if you have qualification X you can apply through category Y as said in NZIS webpages" is very different than guiding someone through every step ("do this, then do that, use that term") or promising a certain result ("if you do this, you will be accepted"). We simply can't give any guarantees that someone is accepted or isn't accepted, whether they should apply or whether NZ is the right country for them -that is very case specific advice. We can discuss their options and general issues related to their process as well as the general criteria. As far as I know, it was precisely too detailed and too case specific advice that the NZIS used as a basis for their case against the other forum: they claimed that they were giving direct immigration advice. There may have been other background factors, but that was the reason NZIS gave for their complaint.

Sorry for hijacking the thread -I've made my point so this will be my last post regarding the matter. I think I've made my point clear for both the OP and for others.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

*edit. Actually a few websites (an immy forum, a blog) were/are in trouble with NZIS for offering too detailed immigration advice, so forums aren't completely exempt from the rule even though they're free. As long as the advice is general and informal it is OK, but the immy forum got into trouble for offering too detailed, specific case related, advice, which the OP really was after.
AFAIK one very disgruntled blogger & one website owner with a migrant support premises came under fire.
I know of no other.

This is a USA owned website with many nationalities around the world dropping by on a variety of forums within the site.. It's an information exchange on all manner of topics . Nothing more or less.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

ishshor is an unknown quantity at this point

Ishshor: It is against NZ law to offer any specific immigration advice for anyone else without being a qualified and registered immigration agent/lawyer. Nobody here can say you whether you should apply or not -we can only give you very general advice like how the process normally goes (NZQA assessment may be needed etc). Your personal circumstances will be a major factor, and nobody else can advice you on that.

You must familiarize yourself with the requirements and terminology
at the NZIS website.

!

If you are right then there is no use of this forum...
I saw the points calculator...and keep visiting the http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ site just for a week.
then i decided to post on this forum to make my findings faster..and authentic....and keep asking experienced people like you..

and in future ill keep asking more details specific queries here...
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:23 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

*edit. Actually a few websites (an immy forum, a blog) were/are in trouble with NZIS for offering too detailed immigration advice, so forums aren't completely exempt from the rule even though they're free. As long as the advice is general and informal it is OK, but the immy forum got into trouble for offering too detailed, specific case related, advice, which the OP really was after.
As far as I am aware the situation you are describing was not just due to a forum/blog, there were other issues that came into play, such as a drop-in center, and other activities.

To reiterate BE is not an advice forum, and no one here is offering migration advice, (paid or otherwise). Members are simply sharing their migration experiences with each other, and discussing the ups and downs of moving abroad.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold

Ishshor, if you star an EOI application online it will keep a running score of your points, depending on your answers. It will take some time to do and you don't have to send it. I did it this way to see how many points I might be allocated. It's more detailed than the basic points calculator.

hope this helps.
Lydia
Old Feb 8th 2011, 6:50 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4pommes
Ishshor, if you star an EOI application online it will keep a running score of your points, depending on your answers. It will take some time to do and you don't have to send it. I did it this way to see how many points I might be allocated. It's more detailed than the basic points calculator.

hope this helps.
Lydia
Good idea. To save time just fill in those sections which will award you points rather than the whole thing. You can save it and return to it at a later date as well so if you do decide to apply then it is already started.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:24 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

hope this helps.
Lydia
Yes. That is a good idea. Have some karma.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

hope this helps.
Lydia
Thank you..starting ....
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

hope this helps.
Lydia
thank you