British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Can anyone recommend a decent airline (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/can-anyone-recommend-decent-airline-399632/)

Stevie1963 Oct 1st 2006 1:30 am

Can anyone recommend a decent airline

I will be flying to NZ between Christmas and New Year. Can anyone, from experience recommend a decent airline that isn't too expensive ?
I will also be looking at an excess baggage charge as I need to take quite a few tools with me for my new job so I will be taking the cost of this into the equation. Thanks :)

jueinnz Oct 1st 2006 1:47 am

Re: Can anyone recommend a decent airline

Originally Posted by Stevie1963
I will be flying to NZ between Christmas and New Year. Can anyone, from experience recommend a decent airline that isn't too expensive ?
I will also be looking at an excess baggage charge as I need to take quite a few tools with me for my new job so I will be taking the cost of this into the equation. Thanks :)

Hows about if you don't need your tools right up to the last minute in UK, sending them over by carrier, will be here dead quick and a lot cheaper I am sure, you could have them sent to your new workplace.

We found Air NZ was always our first choice but that was because of the baggage allowance was twice as much as everyone elses, but they have stopped doing this now, Sinapore were also a good choice becasue they had more leg room, and OH thinks the stewardessess are cute.

Check out the leg room and baggage allowance on both carriers and then decide, 2inches may not seem much but after 26hrs.......

poppets Oct 1st 2006 2:32 am

we flew with singapore in april , would use again, 2 adults, a kids (4 &2) £2300, & 30kgs a hold luggage each

my mum & dad are coming over for christmas (leave uk 20/12) they are flying with BA/Quantas (doing OZ to) they fly to singapore, then to sydney (change planes) then in to welly. On the way back they stop for a week in Oz. i think their ticked are about £800ish

Buzzy--Bee Oct 1st 2006 5:37 am

Originally Posted by jueinnz
We found Air NZ was always our first choice but that was because of the baggage allowance was twice as much as everyone elses, but they have stopped doing this now

Actually the baggage allowance has been reduced from 64kg to 43kg each, but it's still more than twice as much as flying via Asia!

:beer:

Buzzy

Grayling Oct 1st 2006 9:25 am

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Hows about if you don't need your tools right up to the last minute in UK, sending them over by carrier, will be here dead quick and a lot cheaper I am sure, you could have them sent to your new workplace.

We found Air NZ was always our first choice but that was because of the baggage allowance was twice as much as everyone elses, but they have stopped doing this now, Sinapore were also a good choice becasue they had more leg room, and OH thinks the stewardessess are cute.

Check out the leg room and baggage allowance on both carriers and then decide, 2inches may not seem much but after 26hrs.......

Air NZ have more legroom than Singapore. They have 34" whereas Singapore is 32". Malaysia are also 34"

G

BEVS Oct 1st 2006 10:06 am

We have flown with allsorts and I can't recommend Singapore Air enough. Simply superb. Changi airport is one of the best in the world. The facilities in the airport are amazing.
If you do choose to fly with this airline, please DO sign up for Kris Flyer and the airpoints before you book . They may come in a bit handy later on. Ours certainly have.
Also . Book on-line. Watch out for the special offers. you could get a good deal this way.

Talk to your employer Steve. Someone should be able to lend you tools until your own arrive. Himself , a plumber, started work here using tools from his employer and work mates. This was arranged in advance. They knew he couldn't possibly pack his trade tools into his baggage allowance. Our own supply of trade tools arrived 6 weeks later via our container. The employer was perfectly happy to help out until then.

Ash1 Oct 1st 2006 10:47 am

Hi when we went out in Dec we flew with air malaysia 2 adults and 2 kids, they were very good 34" but only 20kg luggage allowed p/p. and won't let you go over we were and they wanted to charge us over 600. We hopefully are off in November as house sale should go through next week think we are going to fly with air new zealand because of the extra luggage allowance when flying via america 2 pieces 23kg each case per person . Singapore airlines have a good name but have not flown with them, + they said they would up our luggage from 20kg to 30kg per person when emmigrating.
Hope this helps and good luck. :)

Spacecake799 Oct 2nd 2006 10:18 am

Hi Stevie
I booked my flights yesterday. We fly on 7th Nov from Birmingham with Emirates. I booked the flights online and saved £800. I have to pay for 4 adults and one child and it cost us £4000. :D

helinuk Oct 2nd 2006 2:23 pm

We've flown with Singapore, Malaysian, BA, long haul on many occasions. I'd say all were fine but our fav. is always Singapore.
I'd love to try Emirates.
The weight allowance is a big factor. Also where do you want to stopover?

brussels_sprout Oct 2nd 2006 8:24 pm

The most expensive time of year, December. Last week , i worked out you can fly from London to NZ for £225 plus tax, using LowCost Airlines, stopping at HK, Singapore,Darwin, Brisbane (i can show you the itenary if anyone is interested). Great for single or couple wanting to see exotic places, wow Darwin ! I am emigrating from Amsterdam to NZ around the same time 30th December, 540 EUR single = £ 360 , with Singapore Airlines (21 hours flying). SIngapore Airlines and Air NZ seem to be the most popular.

Elvira Oct 2nd 2006 8:27 pm

No, but would you be interested in an indecent one?

Stevie1963 Oct 2nd 2006 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
No, but would you be interested in an indecent one?

Hon, if the price is right I will consider any thing :p ;)

Stevie1963 Oct 2nd 2006 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
The most expensive time of year, December. Last week , i worked out you can fly from London to NZ for £225 plus tax, using LowCost Airlines, stopping at HK, Singapore,Darwin, Brisbane (i can show you the itenary if anyone is interested). Great for single or couple wanting to see exotic places, wow Darwin ! I am emigrating from Amsterdam to NZ around the same time 30th December, 540 EUR single = £ 360 , with Singapore Airlines (21 hours flying). SIngapore Airlines and Air NZ seem to be the most popular.

I am waiting with baited breath. Go on, show me the itinary please. The lowest I calculated was £540 so anything cheaper would be a bonus.
Cheers
Steve

brussels_sprout Oct 2nd 2006 9:56 pm

Hi Steve,

I have checked all the flights, they are available at the price quoted,
Prices are in pounds sterling, it will take a few days, all the airlines use modern jets, of course by the time you add the tax, visa for australia, lodging, it will add up, but it would be an adventure, especially Darwin ! Of course in reality , you would stop off for a few days in each place

London -> Hong Kong 75 (Oasis HK Airlines)

HK -> Singapore (JetStar Asia) 30

Singapore -> Darwin Aus (Tiger) 20

Darwin -> NZ 100 (FreeedomAir/Virgin Blue)

TOTAL PRICE - 225 + Tax

The itenary below is available now at 225 plus tax.

28/11 20:10 LGW -> Hong Kong 15:40 28th Nov

28/11 20:15 HK -> Singapore 23:45

29/11 19:50 Singapore -> Darwin 02:15 30/11

1/12 01:10 Darwin -> Brisbane 05:30 1/12

2/12 09:15 Brisbane -> Auckland 15:25

= 225 GBP + Tax (and available now)

Brussels Sprout (me, i am going the quickest possible, but i have a family)
If you can get to Amsterdam, there is a cheap flight from Amsterdam to Auckland on 30/12 with Singapore Airlines 350 Pounds. You will get an extra 10 kg if you tell the airline that you are emigrating.

But , your tools, hmmm, multiple short flights with excess baggage will mount up the prices.

THere are also cheap ways of getting to NZ, first to Phuket on a one way charter flight from England, then a flight to NZ.

I am waiting with baited breath. Go on, show me the itinary please. The lowest I calculated was £540 so anything cheaper would be a bonus.
Cheers
Steve