Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can anyone offer advice to a newbie?!

Can anyone offer advice to a newbie?!

Old Feb 9th 2006, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all
Default Re: Can anyone offer advice to a newbie?!& Real Estate Agent

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi

I'm in the UK. In terms of property, we have done renovating and investing over the past 9 years, living in them as we develop and moving a lot.

Had Xmas in NZ, thinking of moving over and if we did, would love to develop property full time (around children) and would be in the Auckland area, possibly North Shore. Looked at lots of areas when we were over. Ruled out most of them and of course were left with the expensive ones! Where are you (Wellington?) in case we need to find something?
My first husband was/is an estate agent - he has an agency in Oxford - we moved 6 times in 6 years with small children - so know what it's like!

Yes I'm in Wellington - how about a section (plot) with stunning views of Wellington harbour and the Orongorono ranges in the background - yours for only.... !!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi]

Apologies if you took my post the wrong way - it wasnt intended to be disrespectful...I was trying to bring a bit of light hearted humour - but I suppose with text you carnt tell whether I was being sacastic or not! I definately wasnt I do appreciate your input and Im sorry for any offence caused!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 6:58 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Speargun]
Originally Posted by uk+kiwi

Apologies if you took my post the wrong way - it wasnt intended to be disrespectful...I was trying to bring a bit of light hearted humour - but I suppose with text you carnt tell whether I was being sacastic or not! I definately wasnt I do appreciate your input and Im sorry for any offence caused!
That's okay. I did think it was strange that you were jumping on my comments so strongly, but as you wrote yourself, it can be hard in the written word sometimes. Thanks for the reply.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

MMMmmm not good news! The Emmigration COmpany have said theres no chance of NZ but very likely Australia should be okfor us!!

Apparently my job is not needed in New Zealand...even for someone very good at it!

Really depressed - and well jealous of the rest of you out there!

Old Feb 15th 2006, 3:58 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can anyone offer advice to a newbie?!

Originally Posted by Apollo10
I'm from the UK. English in fact. Not everyone in the UK is out for themselves .You will also find that some Kiwis in NZ are just out for themselves, as you put it. Most Brits are really helpful people, just as most Kiwis are, as you will find from using these emigration forums.
Sorry if that sounds a bit sour, but the point is there is the good , bad, the helpful and the indifferant where-ever you go in both the UK and NZ.

This is a link you may be very interested in.
It's about Real Estate training in New Zealand. I think one works towards a license.

http://www.openpolytechnic.ac.nz/pro...as/nd5325.html

Get in contact with them and have a chat. The open poly is extensively used throughtout NZ.

You may consider trying to secure a job offer from a Real Estate Agent . To do that an actual visit to the area where you wish to settle would be helpful.
Although Real Estate agent is not on the shortages lists, an NZ real estate agency could offer you a job, provided that they can prove that there is no Kiwi that could do that job. Your previous UK Estate Agents training and qualification may stand you in good stead there as the New Zealand estate agency would be able to make a case that you have a level of qualification already. The company would then need to seek approval from NZIS to allow you to take the job.

PI8PPS has given you an excellant step by step guide towards migration.
You're right, it's not on the shortages list, but we've just had 50 points granted for it as skilled employment. It took ages for us to get the work permit for it though, so make sure you keep copies of adverts you respond to Speargun, showing the date of advertisement, and your employer would need to provide a pretty comprehensive letter of support as well to get it past the red tape.

Last edited by bookemjano; Feb 15th 2006 at 4:01 am.