Reload this Page >

Can anyone offer advice for moving to nz

Can anyone offer advice for moving to nz

Old May 6th 2013, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Butler8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone offer advice for moving to nz

SO basically i really would like to move to NZ

Im 25 and last summer i got back after a year on a working holiday in NZ.
I now am desperate to find a way to move there permanently, the problem is i dont have any higher education qualifications or a trade.

I have spent the past 5 years working in and out of the snowsports industry(mainly being a ski bum)
I a bright guy and i love learning new things, ive just never know what i wanted to do with my life!

Does anyone have any wise words, or recommendations?
Old May 6th 2013, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

tiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can anyone offer advice for moving to nz

I'm not entirely sure - there are people who know a great deal more about visas than me. But unless you have close family or a partner out there, or have a partner here who has the experience and qualifications necessary for a skilled migrants visa, I'm not sure of a way you could get a permanent residency visa. Obviously you can't do another working holiday, but have you looked into the seasonal workers visas? I don't know if you could come over and work in the ski industry on those but I know people go and work seasonally in the horticultural industry on those I think? And who knows maybe eventually you'd meet a kiwi girl and could go for a partnership visa if the relationship was genuine. Otherwise could you look at a students visa? And go over and learn a trade or subject that would take you into a career on the skills shortage list?

The reason that's full of question marks is I'm just hazarding guesses, hopefully some more experienced folk will come along and help you out, but in the meantime I'd have a look at nz's immigration website and look at all the different visas and see where your best next step would lie. If a student visa is not an option then maybe focus on learning a trade that is in demand in nz over here and set a goal of getting over there in x years time, maybe on a work visa first and then in the long term a PR visa hopefully.

Last edited by tiger mama; May 6th 2013 at 7:43 pm.
Old May 7th 2013, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone offer advice for moving to nz

As a qualified ski or snowboard instructor with a job offer for the season you would be eligible to apply for a work visa sponsored by your employer. I believe snow makers, groomers and ski technicians are also eligible. Presumably this would be for the season though and not a permanent option.

Is getting a second year on the WHV an option or has to much time lapsed since you finished the first year? If so then you could come back on a BUNAC visa, which is like a working holiday, except you can apply until your 35.

Once your here and if you wanted a route to stay permantly it would have to be less about being a ski bum (or any kind of bum), sorry.

I don't have a trade or higher education but managed it, including working a ski season at Ruapehu when I first arrived. I did however have work experience which was relevant to the jobs I applied for, albeit in a different industry. It took a lot of job applications, interviews and knock backs before I finally got a decent job offer that would allow me to stay though.

So you would have to find some transferable skills or work experience that makes you valuable enough for an employer to take you on over another Kiwi. Have a look at accredited employers and the work to residence route. You could also combine this job search by hunting out a Kiwi girlfriend and hoping things work out but I wouldn't bank on it being the best option

Failing that you may have to suck it up and go back to school, learn a trade or get a few years work experience in the UK before applying for roles from there or coming back on the BUNAC and job hunting here. If you really have no skills or experience then given your only 25 this is probably the way to do it.