Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help with a question please?

Can anyone help with a question please?

Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

nineteeneightytwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone help with a question please?

Hi,

I'm Lucy. My partner and I and our baby daughter are looking into opportunities to move to Auckland later this year.

We hope to have another baby in 2014/2015 to complete our family.

My question: How much does it cost to actually get medical care during pregnancy and give birth in New Zealand? I'm a bit concerned without the NHS we wouldn't be able to afford it which would obviously totally change my desire to move as a better family life and future is what we are seeking.

I'll check back later to see if anyone could help.

Thanks in advance

Lx
Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

tiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can anyone help with a question please?

Hey, as far as I'm aware (though I am only just in the early stages of thinking about the immigration process too so I'm sure there are far wiser voices on this) maternity care in NZ is free and as a permanent resident (if this is what you are planning on) you should be entitled to that. But I could be wrong - I'll wait for someone more experienced to answer but that is my understanding anyway. Good luck! x
Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

it does depend on what visa you or your partner are on at the time,
Old Apr 9th 2013, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Ah I see.

We are looking to move on a permanent basis. My partner is 34 this year so he can't go on a sort of travelling/ working visa from what I understand as he is too old. I'm 30.

I think it would be a permanent residency visa for us both? Perhaps this would work in our favour to qualify for free healthcare?
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:31 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nineteeneightytwo
I think it would be a permanent residency visa for us both? Perhaps this would work in our favour to qualify for free healthcare?
"Free Health Care" is not something that is offered here. You may get some things free. Kids get their HepB injections free but generally you have to pay.
Not sure on pregnancy care but found this for you:

http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...nancy-services
Old Apr 9th 2013, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Ok sorry, I didn't expect it to be free but I've had conflicting info from lots of people hence asking here.

Thanks for the link.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Depends on the visa

My wife is never going to forgive me for the horror look I gave her when I found out she was pregnant. We're on work to residence visas and I was worried those $ signs were going into overdrive. Luckily since our visa is valid for 2 and a half years, we were entitled to the health care

If your on a work visa then your not.

I would also think about the visa as well. Would you be going for a skilled migrant visa? If you don't have a residency visa, then you wont be entitled to tax credits from the government (the only form of child benefit really here). You don't need a passport mind, unless you want to go elsewhere. if so, if not residents, he/she will have to have a UK passport
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

trafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a residence visa (or a work visa for longer than two years) then you are eligible for publically funded maternity care. If it is your partner that holds the visa then:

From the Ministry of Health website:

A pregnant wife or partner of an eligible person is entitled to publically funded maternity (and other health) services.

An eligible person includes:
- NZ resident visa and permanent resident visa holders
- Work Visa holders whose visa is for two years or more, or who have a current work visa which, together with previous visas, allows them to be continuously in New Zealand for two years or more (work visas start on the person’s first day in New Zealand)
Old Apr 9th 2013, 11:50 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at what visas are available yet? It will all depend on what jobs you do.
Residency is either via the Skilled Migrant Category or a Work to Residence visa. Each have different conditions and ways to apply. You may not have a choice in what you can apply for
Old Apr 10th 2013, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. So it looks he or both of us need a residence visa then to be eligable.

I don't really know much about the visa's to be honest, he's been looking into that. I don't have any skills to offer NZ (I've only worked as a qualified dental nurse and also as a career receptionist) but it looks possible that my partners qualifications and work experience in Sports Media and IT and Graphic Design might enable him to get a job offer. He seems hopeful anyway!

I would hope to find some part time work if my visa accompanying him allows.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:58 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

If your partner gets residency as a Skilled Migrant then you would get it too [assuming you can prove you've lived together >12 months] You both apply on the same application.

WTR visas are different. You can convert to residency after working for two years. Up until then you will be on work visas.

If he is looking into it all then he should have some idea as to which visas are a possibility