Can anyone help?

Old Jul 5th 2006, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Carol&Mark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone help?

Hi

I think I may be asking the impossible here, but I need to give it a try so please bear with me.

My husband, I and our two children are presently going through the process of emigrating and at this present moment in time my husband is in NZ (Auckland) doing a trial in a job to see if a) he likes the job and b) likes the country. If he is happy when he returns in a months time the house will go up for sale and we will be off as soon as possible.

Anyhow, my request does not concern my family and I, my request concerns my friend and her family.

My friend moved out to NZ about three weeks ago. This is something they have wanted to do for years and they were overjoyed when they got their PR. They had never been to NZ before the move so this was a very big step.

They are presently in Auckland and are having a real dilemma with trying to find houses in nice areas. Looking around they liked Albany and Devonport but house prices are very high there (which I know they are) but can someone suggest other nice areas where the house prices are perhaps a little less (if somewhere like this exists)

They have a 5 year old and a 13 year old so good schools are essential and ideally they would like a new build house.

If there isnt anywhere that fits this bill in Auckland, could someone suggest other areas on the North Island?

Any help anyone can give would be so gratefully received as I am really worried about them and just want to see them settled and happy.

Thanks in advance

Carol
Old Jul 5th 2006, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can anyone help?

Originally Posted by Carol&Mark
Hi

I think I may be asking the impossible here, but I need to give it a try so please bear with me.

My husband, I and our two children are presently going through the process of emigrating and at this present moment in time my husband is in NZ (Auckland) doing a trial in a job to see if a) he likes the job and b) likes the country. If he is happy when he returns in a months time the house will go up for sale and we will be off as soon as possible.

Anyhow, my request does not concern my family and I, my request concerns my friend and her family.

My friend moved out to NZ about three weeks ago. This is something they have wanted to do for years and they were overjoyed when they got their PR. They had never been to NZ before the move so this was a very big step.

They are presently in Auckland and are having a real dilemma with trying to find houses in nice areas. Looking around they liked Albany and Devonport but house prices are very high there (which I know they are) but can someone suggest other nice areas where the house prices are perhaps a little less (if somewhere like this exists)

They have a 5 year old and a 13 year old so good schools are essential and ideally they would like a new build house.

If there isnt anywhere that fits this bill in Auckland, could someone suggest other areas on the North Island?

Any help anyone can give would be so gratefully received as I am really worried about them and just want to see them settled and happy.

Thanks in advance

Carol
the north shore usually is better value for money, but properties close to the beaches are more expensive. i know devonport is really expensive but i would not have thought albany would be as expensive.

areas they can consider include glenfield on the north shore, titirangi or maybe even new lynn in waitakere, or one tree hill / greenlane in auckland.
house prices are quite high in auckland, especially if you are looking to buy in one of the high demand school zones.

would they be able to get work in other towns easily?.. house prices outside of aucklnad are quite a bit less...
Old Jul 6th 2006, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

binman is an unknown quantity at this point

Devonport is very expensive and very nice. If schools are important then maybe look at Botany which is all decile 10 with great shopping center and all the facilities. A newish standard 4 bed home in Dannemora (part of Botany) start around $500,000. Further north is Howick, Bucklands Beach. Pick your home carefully in that area and you can be in zone for Mellons Bay primary, Bucklands Beach Intermediate and the sought after Macleans College. Not much under $650,000 plus though. Cheers binman

http://www.macleans.school.nz/

Last edited by binman; Jul 6th 2006 at 5:04 am.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Thank you Binman / Newkiwi

Im really worried about my friends as you may have guessed, and I am going to pass your suggestions over to them. Really hope they can find somewhere.

They can work near enough anywhere in NZ, so suggestions of other places would be gratefully received. I have suggested Wellington as this is where we would like to go in the end but they are feeling so dissalusioned at the moment they say they dont want to drag the children round yet more places just to feel even worse at the end of the day.

Please keep the ideas coming, they have wanted this for so long and I want them to get their dream and be settled and happy.

Carol
Old Jul 6th 2006, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Binman / Newkiwi

Im really worried about my friends as you may have guessed, and I am going to pass your suggestions over to them. Really hope they can find somewhere.

They can work near enough anywhere in NZ, so suggestions of other places would be gratefully received. I have suggested Wellington as this is where we would like to go in the end but they are feeling so dissalusioned at the moment they say they dont want to drag the children round yet more places just to feel even worse at the end of the day.

Please keep the ideas coming, they have wanted this for so long and I want them to get their dream and be settled and happy.

Carol
Hi Carol,
As you know I am no help at all with Auckland, but just wanted to say how lovely of you to help your friends like this. We like many others had to do our own 'homework' but would have loved some help like this. Hope Marks enjoying his time here
take care
Old Jul 6th 2006, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

donscbr6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks in advance

Carol
Hi Carol,

What about the Hawkes bay area? The weather is great, you're right on the coast, and the house prices are about half of what you'd pay in Auckland. I'm not sure about schools, but my brother moved there about a year ago from wellington, he was after better weather and more space.(but would have looked into the schools too). He has a 10 and 7 year old. I'm looking at settling there when I come over in a couple of months, you can get a decent 3-4 bed house from as little as 250k, in either Hastings or Napier. check out www.realenz.co.nz.

Cheers,
Don.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 8:39 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks in advance

Carol
Carol

Tell them to go out to Bucklands Beach in the south east - Eastern beach is the ocean side. The good school is Macleans college. Bucklands Beach primary was also a good school. The prices should be lower than Devonport but the place is still really nice. We still have houses there - but they are currently with long term tenants.

Kiwi
Old Jul 6th 2006, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Thank you to everyone for your help and assistance, unfortunately my friend rang me this morning to tell me they have booked their flights back.

I am sooo upset for them, but at the same time I am angry as I dont think they have given NZ enough of a chance - they havent been there three weeks yet!!!!

I have passed all your suggestions though onto my husband who will be meeting them again and who know miracles may happen.

They went over there with all these dreams and determinaton that they would make this work - where has all that gone and how did it go so quickly? This really has upset me because on the phone this morning they sounded so down and so defeated.

Wish there was something I could do.

Carol
Old Jul 6th 2006, 8:02 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to everyone for your help and assistance, unfortunately my friend rang me this morning to tell me they have booked their flights back.

I am sooo upset for them, but at the same time I am angry as I dont think they have given NZ enough of a chance - they havent been there three weeks yet!!!!

I have passed all your suggestions though onto my husband who will be meeting them again and who know miracles may happen.

They went over there with all these dreams and determinaton that they would make this work - where has all that gone and how did it go so quickly? This really has upset me because on the phone this morning they sounded so down and so defeated.

Wish there was something I could do.

Carol

Silly question but why are they not on BE getting info themselves?

Does BE in Auckland have as big a social life as we do in Melbourne? or do I have to Fly over and start one?
Old Jul 7th 2006, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Hi Carol,

Sorry to hear about your friends. I don't think 3 weeks is long enough, they may go back and regret what they have done.

As Binman/The Bears have said tell them to try the East side. Botany,Dannemora, Flat Bush,Howick,Eastern Beach,Bucklands Beach, Whitford,Beachlands,Maraetai. As Binman said Schools in these areas are all decile 10. Loads of shops,great beaches, Ferries into the CBD, loads of things for their kids to do.

I hope they change their minds and give things a little longer.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 7:46 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Flipping heck they really must have hated it! No way is 3 weeks enough time
Did they sell up and everthing to get to NZ? it's a shame but they must be really unhappy to be booking tickets to return already.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Truly bizarre - I've got cheese in my fridge that has lasted longer than these people's hopes of a new life. Getting philosophical - is this a reflection on the "instant gratification" society, to uproot your family to the other side of the worls, arrive somewhere you've never been, in the middle of the worst winter for x years (where x=30 according to some pople I've spoken to), and then, the length of a half-decent holiday later, jack it all in and go home with your tail between your legs? I hate to be rude to the OP's friends, but I seriously question their strength of character if this is the best they can do. I also seriously question the faculties of people who can be surprised by house prices - web commerce is admittedly poor in NZ but the estate agents are some of the few businesses who have good websites where you can research the market from afar.
Still, ittakes all sorts I suppose?
Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Sophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant future

Hi

Thanks in advance

Carol
Hi Carol,

There's a book called 'Where to Live in Auckland' they can buy, breaking down the different suburbs and giving a general indication on rent. We bought it but then decided to go to Welly instead doh lol.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Sophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant future

THis site here also has some rental information on Auckland:-

http://www.dbh.govt.nz/housing/tenan...egion=Auckland
Old Jul 10th 2006, 4:07 am
Just Joined

manunited is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by donscbr6
Hi Carol,

What about the Hawkes bay area? The weather is great, you're right on the coast, and the house prices are about half of what you'd pay in Auckland. I'm not sure about schools, but my brother moved there about a year ago from wellington, he was after better weather and more space.(but would have looked into the schools too). He has a 10 and 7 year old. I'm looking at settling there when I come over in a couple of months, you can get a decent 3-4 bed house from as little as 250k, in either Hastings or Napier. check out www.realenz.co.nz.

Cheers,
Don.
Couldn't agree more. We settled in Havelock North Village next to Hastings. Quite simply it has everything we wanted including good schools.Primary through High. I can't honestly recommend Hastings as I work there and see the neg stuff all the time. Havelock is a bit overpriced but worth looking into. Fabulous beaches 15 min drive away.