Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

can anybody recommend an accountant in Whangaparaoa / North Shore?

can anybody recommend an accountant in Whangaparaoa / North Shore?

Old Nov 6th 2008, 1:04 am
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, we're International House Sitters! :)
Water Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond repute
Default can anybody recommend an accountant in Whangaparaoa / North Shore?

Hi all

Need to find an accountant who can help us with a bit of an unusual tax situation, wondering if anyone here has found themselves in the same position?

Basically the OH is going to carry on working for his company in the UK as a contractor, so we've created our own company so that he can invoice them and get paid that way.

We've used an accountant to set up the company for us, but we're not happy with the way he's explaining things to us, so we want to find someone who we can relate to better and who may have dealt with a similar case before and therefore has some experience on the tax implications of billing in £££ but paying tax in NZ. Confusing I know!

If anyone out there can recommend someone we'd be really grateful. We're settling down in the Whangaparaoa Peninsula but would be happy to see someone in the North Shore as that's only down the road and I know there's loads of you down there!

Any suggestions very much appreciated! Here or on a PM, thanks very much!!!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can anybody recommend an accountant in Whangaparaoa / North Shore?

Hi,
Can't help you with the accountant, but I still do work for my old UK company.
They sorted out my exemption from paying tax in the UK & they just transfer earnings over on a monthly basis, straight into my bank account.
I just pay tax here after filing the Tax Return at the end of the fianancial year.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:10 am
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, we're International House Sitters! :)
Water Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, sorry we didn’t reply sooner, only have intermittent access to internet.... thanks for that, I was just wondering, are you still an employee of your old company, or are you working for them as a contractor? This is what OH is doing, we were advised to set up a company so that he could invoice them, and this way we can also claim tax back on things we buy for the business, and get help with the rent and certain bills as we’ll be using a room in the house as an office.

After scouring the web, we found a guy in Christchurch who seemed to fit the description of what we were after, he’s an expat himself and has worked as an accountant both in the UK and now in NZ so he’s well placed to advise. Had a chat to him on the phone the other day and he came across so much better than the local one, funnily enough he’s cheaper too!!! We just want someone to take care of the tax side of things until we’ve been in the country a bit longer and learnt how things work properly, then we can take care of it ourselves...

In the meantime, we’ll have more time to get settled and meet people in the local area so we can have some fun and make ourselves at home (almost there already, and we’ve only been here 3 weeks!)

Roll on summer!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Water Lily
Hi there, sorry we didn’t reply sooner, only have intermittent access to internet.... thanks for that, I was just wondering, are you still an employee of your old company, or are you working for them as a contractor? This is what OH is doing, we were advised to set up a company so that he could invoice them, and this way we can also claim tax back on things we buy for the business, and get help with the rent and certain bills as we’ll be using a room in the house as an office.

After scouring the web, we found a guy in Christchurch who seemed to fit the description of what we were after, he’s an expat himself and has worked as an accountant both in the UK and now in NZ so he’s well placed to advise. Had a chat to him on the phone the other day and he came across so much better than the local one, funnily enough he’s cheaper too!!! We just want someone to take care of the tax side of things until we’ve been in the country a bit longer and learnt how things work properly, then we can take care of it ourselves...

In the meantime, we’ll have more time to get settled and meet people in the local area so we can have some fun and make ourselves at home (almost there already, and we’ve only been here 3 weeks!)

Roll on summer!
Hi,
No, not an employee, just class myself as self employed, throw in a few reciepts at the end of the year & get some tax back.
Probably is worth using an accountant first though to get the ins & outs, I tried asking around with the few british families we knew, but we were the only ones who had to do tax returns
It's well worth making sure you don't get taxed in the UK though. A chap we knew in Auckland came over just after us, claimed back all the tax he'd paid in the UK before he arrived (as you do), did a bit of work for his old employee over here, got taxed in the UK & then the taxman wanted back all the tax he'd reclaimed. Caused him a lot of grief, got it sorted in the end, but it wasn't easy.
Tax matters over here are very simple compared to the UK. They just take too much!!!