Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

can any IT people offer my husband advice please

can any IT people offer my husband advice please

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 8:52 am
Just Joined

debb1e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can any IT people offer my husband advice please

me and my family would like to move to nz to bring our kids up in a safer place. my husband is in the IT bisness and done research and found out there is a shortage of IT people. could you give us advice into IT wages etc thank you.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:20 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can any IT people offer my husband advice please

Hays research and collate information each year on just about every job. Below is link to 2009 info for IT related jobs and salaries (as posted in your other thread)

http://www.hays-hps.co.nz/salary/pdf...Technology.pdf
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:33 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Also, a link for your OH to check out

http://www.nzcs.org.nz/news/

NZCS is the body for IT Professionals in New Zealand, and has been working to advance education for nearly 50 years.

NZCS is built on a foundation of advancing education and professionalism, the key ingredients of New Zealand and our profession.

NZCS covers the full spectrum of IT, from students through to the most senior IT professionals in New Zealand, all sharing a passion for advancing the ICT Profession.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

thank you for your help this will be very usful inforation thanks again.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debb1e
thank you for your help this will be very usful inforation thanks again.
Hi,

My husband works in server admin in Auckland and came here doing desktop support.

Feel free to pm us with any help and advice you need.

Carole
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

gbFunk is just really nicegbFunk is just really nicegbFunk is just really nicegbFunk is just really nicegbFunk is just really nicegbFunk is just really nicegbFunk is just really nicegbFunk is just really nicegbFunk is just really nicegbFunk is just really nice

Hi there,

Saw your note yesterday, and decided to sign up so I could respond...

Officially, IT Management is an area of skills shortage. However, this does not mean there are jobs for everyone and you just chose the one you want!

A bit of background - I arrived here earlier in the year on a partnership visa. Held relatively senior positions in a number of IT departments in the UK and have 2 masters degrees. I saw a pile of jobs on trademe and seek that I was more than capable of doing and had relevant experience.

Then the hard part was the job hunt.... Meet up with a number of recruiters who were all overwhelming positive and were impressed with skills (both technical and personal). I waited, waited and waited. In 3 months, I had 1 interview for an actual position, applied for at least 50 jobs and met at least 10 recruiters.

I then found a job after about 4 months. It's a side step rather than a step down from where I used to be, and I really enjoy it. Good challenge, working with a great bunch of people. To get the job, I put myself out and about on the usergroup circuit and seminar lists, offering to talk on virtually any subject for no charge - simply the chance to network. I spoke at 2 lunch seminars and 1 conference over a 4 week period before speaking to the right person!

However, that 4 months was tough! Luckily we had my wife's income, but there was a lot of soul searching and doubts over the move as we gradually spent our house desposit.

One of the first things I did was recruit to fill a relatively junior position. I had over 140 applicants! These were not simply put in the bin, they're trying their luck - these were good quality applicants with minimum 3 years experience and degrees. I even had some who had held management positions similiar to my experience in the UK applying for the job, so must have been desperate.

When you have this many applicants, it is very easy to bin the ones with no "NZ experience". This sounds awful, but there are risks associated with giving someone a start in a new country - what happens if they don't settle and decide to go home (quite common). They don't have the network of contacts etc.

Long post - so better summarise!

There are jobs out there paying the sort of money your husband wants. These are not easy to get and you will face a lot of competition to get them.

It has worked out brilliantly for me - could not be happier with where we have ended up - but I was terrified for a couple of months there!

Be prepared - and don't expect to land a job paying that sort of money because they are on trademe - there will be a minimum of 100 applicants for each of those positions - how are you going to stand out?

Cheers,
gbFunk
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Originally Posted by gbFunk
Hi there,

Officially, IT Management is an area of skills shortage. However, this does not mean there are jobs for everyone and you just chose the one you want!

A bit of background - I arrived here earlier in the year on a partnership visa. Held relatively senior positions in a number of IT departments in the UK and have 2 masters degrees. I saw a pile of jobs on trademe and seek that I was more than capable of doing and had relevant experience.

Then the hard part was the job hunt.... Meet up with a number of recruiters who were all overwhelming positive and were impressed with skills (both technical and personal). I waited, waited and waited. In 3 months, I had 1 interview for an actual position, applied for at least 50 jobs and met at least 10 recruiters.

I then found a job after about 4 months. It's a side step rather than a step down from where I used to be, and I really enjoy it. Good challenge, working with a great bunch of people. To get the job, I put myself out and about on the usergroup circuit and seminar lists, offering to talk on virtually any subject for no charge - simply the chance to network. I spoke at 2 lunch seminars and 1 conference over a 4 week period before speaking to the right person!

However, that 4 months was tough! Luckily we had my wife's income, but there was a lot of soul searching and doubts over the move as we gradually spent our house desposit.

One of the first things I did was recruit to fill a relatively junior position. I had over 140 applicants! These were not simply put in the bin, they're trying their luck - these were good quality applicants with minimum 3 years experience and degrees. I even had some who had held management positions similiar to my experience in the UK applying for the job, so must have been desperate.

When you have this many applicants, it is very easy to bin the ones with no "NZ experience". This sounds awful, but there are risks associated with giving someone a start in a new country - what happens if they don't settle and decide to go home (quite common). They don't have the network of contacts etc.

There are jobs out there paying the sort of money your husband wants. These are not easy to get and you will face a lot of competition to get them.

It has worked out brilliantly for me - could not be happier with where we have ended up - but I was terrified for a couple of months there!

Be prepared - and don't expect to land a job paying that sort of money because they are on trademe - there will be a minimum of 100 applicants for each of those positions - how are you going to stand out?

Cheers,
gbFunk
what a great post!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all

Excellent post.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:26 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

gbFunk - great post - glad you've joined this forum as it seems you have useful insight for potential expats.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ what they said ^^ - welcome gbFunk
Old Dec 4th 2009, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

thank you for the reply my husband never thinks his going to earn that kind of money out in nz soon as he puts his foot through the door he is willing to take a pay cut. he knows how long it probaly take to land a well paid job. the reason i wrote that message aking about pay is because someone gave me a web site of the IT salarys and it was saying that kind of money you can earn. we have never been out to nz before so we wanted to ask what the salarts are really like before we decide to do the big move.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 9:07 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Cheers,
gbFunk
Excellent post, thank you for it.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:42 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debb1e
thank you for the reply my husband never thinks his going to earn that kind of money out in nz soon as he puts his foot through the door he is willing to take a pay cut. he knows how long it probaly take to land a well paid job. the reason i wrote that message aking about pay is because someone gave me a web site of the IT salarys and it was saying that kind of money you can earn. we have never been out to nz before so we wanted to ask what the salarts are really like before we decide to do the big move.
good post by the funky bloke and emphasises the "networked" nature of NZ markets in professional services as well as many professions. My experience is that I get more work (contracts) by going out and doing the marketing lectures/talks than I do by all the advertising and other forms of getting the name out there....
IME not many salaries are advertised and my only experience of sorting a salary was being asked at interview what I thought I should be paid - a tough one if it's the only interview you've had and you have no idea what the going rate it.......they used the figure I came up with then as my starting salary. Odd 'cause I looked at two non-comparable (albeit professional) jobs and averaged them.....
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

gbFunk
I am not an IT person. but I do know about this stuff some. cos I know too well about how my partner found a job when we first arrived here and quite a few friends (English & other foreigners) of mine are in IT at govt dpts - I clearly saw/heard/talked about their application procedure. and no, I don't think that's true tho - it is very easy to bin the ones with no "NZ experience". maybe it depends on who you work for? I can't believe you had loads of interviews and made loads of applictions. omg.

Last edited by crap coffee; Dec 6th 2009 at 10:27 am.