Campervan hire

Old Dec 9th 2009, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

andrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really nice
Default Campervan hire

I hope I can ask this question here.

I am bringing my family to NZ in February and want to hire a campervan for 2 weeks. Anyone have a recommendation for which company to use ? I heard 'Backpacker' is highly regarded, but there are so many alternatives.

(Not sure whether to start the trip on North or South Island).
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:14 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Campervan hire

We used KEA excellent. Hope you are not trying to do both islands in 2 weeks, if so you would be better with 4-5 days North Island hire car and B&B, fly to ChCh Kea will pick you up from the Airport drive you 2 miles to your van and off you go..South Island. Failing that Fly to ChCh and drop van back off in Auk.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

LisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to all

Hi, we hired through Backpacker last year and they were fantastic! We had a 2 berth with toilet/shower. We sprung a leak while in Whangarei, (North) contacted backpacker, took it to their nearest mechanic, they checked it all over the same day, no charge, no problem. All round great service. Their staff drew us maps to the nearest supermarkets and even told us what products to buy to get a better deal and gave us a discount card too!

We hired a smaller van from Juicy in the second month and their customer service was seriously lacking.

We arrived to collect the vehicle and was told we had to pay, which we had already done but they work with a 3rd party company and this company had already taken payment but Juicy didn't know this so they made us call this 3rd party who we knew nothing of and we then had to wait for that company to prove to Juicy payment had been received! Absolute nightmare! It took over 2 hours to get the vehicle which was an automatic when we asked for manual! We were given a broken dvd player and not supplied with any extras as detailed. The van wasn't even clean. Can't say I'd recommend them.

Hope you have as much fun in NZ as we did!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

andrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really nice

We were thinking of choosing North or South and staying the 2 weeks there. Can always return again and see the bits we missed another year.

The thing with Backpacker, seems that they recommend a 4 berth because we have a small child. They don't have a 3 berth unless I'm mistaken. So the price jumps quite a bit. In the end, comfort and good service is the most important thing though...so we'll think about it.

Thanks for the quick feedback so far LisaIan and Stormer !
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:08 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewrh
We were thinking of choosing North or South and staying the 2 weeks there. Can always return again and see the bits we missed another year.

The thing with Backpacker, seems that they recommend a 4 berth because we have a small child. They don't have a 3 berth unless I'm mistaken. So the price jumps quite a bit. In the end, comfort and good service is the most important thing though...so we'll think about it.

Thanks for the quick feedback so far LisaIan and Stormer !
Just has to be South Island! Heaven on Earth.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Jo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really nice

I am bringing my family to NZ in February and want to hire a campervan for 2 weeks. Anyone have a recommendation for which company to use ? I heard 'Backpacker' is highly regarded, but there are so many alternatives.

Hi, We (family of 4) visited in May, we used Horizon they were excellent, we spent two weeks and only saw the top half of the north island, and just over 2000km covered. plan what you need to see and enjoy.

Paul
Old Dec 9th 2009, 6:51 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We too did this over 3 years ago now as a family of 6. We used United who were brilliant.

We too had a light blow and got hold of them on a Sunday went to their local mechanic (on the Sunday) in the Coromandel and it was all sorted.

They also called us when we returned to the UK to say they'd found my daughters contact lens case and something else and did we want them posted to us.

We had 3 weeks and covered most that we wanted on the North Island and 2 days on the South only as far as Kaikora. It really takes a lot longer to get to places than you think looking at the map.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:52 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Backpacker......we went over in April and hired the 6 berth van. We are a family of 4 and were glad of the extra 2 berths. We spent 3 weeks in it and covered most of the North Island. The vans are clean, well equipped and well maintained. The only downside is the length of time it takes to pick up and drop off (they really are slow!) They are also the cheapest.

Don't know if there has been any law change but we spent most of the time parked in car parks next to beaches. The only times we had to park in a camp site was in Rotorua, as they have a local by law that prevents freedom camping. We even parked on the seafront, near the Mount, in Tauranga. Wherever there were bins, a public toilet and views of the water, we parked. Just remeber not to dump any waste water in any drains, unless is a designated camper van dump drain.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:56 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember, the speed limit is 100kmh (for a car) and 90kmh for a van (and very few motorways or dual carriageways). We had 3 weeks and were glad we didn't try to do both islands. With only 2 weeks, I would advise 1 island or the other unless you know exactly where you want to visit. Also, check out the cost of the ferries. It may be cheaper to hire a 1 way rental, as some companies offer you the chance of a big discount and an inclusive ferry crossing, if you start in the South and head to the North Island (they have to get the vans to the North)
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations and advice.

I'll check out all the rental company sites and see which suits us best.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 11:11 am

By the way is Dalian still as smokey as when I was last there? Must be 5 years now.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stormer999
By the way is Dalian still as smokey as when I was last there? Must be 5 years now.
I wouldn't say smokey - but very foggy this time of year.

Many Chinese cities are making efforts to relocate or shut down the polluters. The DDA is probably more dirty and smelly through industry, so I choose to live in the city centre.

The problem is though that car ownership is increasing rapidly - faster than the roads can be widened or new ones built.

I'll bring some fresh air back from the South Island