Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Camper Van Relocations???

Camper Van Relocations???

Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:40 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Camper Van Relocations???

Has anyone had a go of the campervan relocation deals? You can hire the van for up to 7 days at $5 a day to deliver it back to its required location...

Some good deals like Auckland to Welly, 5 days to get it there.

We're doing some travelling when we arrive in June and thought this seems like the perfect cheap solution?

Thought maybe could gage if anyones tried it and pro's/con's?

Ta!
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Camper Van Relocations???

Not heard of this one.....where could I find more information please??

Thanks!

Lydia
Old Apr 17th 2010, 8:43 pm
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

http://www.standbyrelocs.com/
One of Liz's work colleagues did the South island last year using this method and he has wholeheartedly recommended it , will get a bit more info from him about any cons if there were any, unfortunately he's stuck in blighty at the mo, grounded due to the volcano
Old Apr 17th 2010, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone that has done it several times and would not hesitate.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Steve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Flower Pot View Post
Has anyone had a go of the campervan relocation deals? You can hire the van for up to 7 days at $5 a day to deliver it back to its required location...

Some good deals like Auckland to Welly, 5 days to get it there.

We're doing some travelling when we arrive in June and thought this seems like the perfect cheap solution?

Thought maybe could gage if anyones tried it and pro's/con's?

Ta!
Hi Flowerpot,

I would definately give it a go, my wife's parents came across last june and we planned to do one of these relocation deals through standyrelocs.com, went without a hitch, we took a one way flight from Auckland down to Chch, then drove a 4 berth S/T camper back to Auckland in 5 days. Staying 1 night each in Kaikoura, Welly, Napier and Rotorua.

I would say that if your the kind of people who like to admire the scenery and are happy to spend a lot of the day driving then go for it. I say this because we had little time to do any activities in each place, instead opting for quick whistle-stops at places of interest on the way.

I would imagine if your planning on doing Wellington back to Auckland though, you'll have plenty more time to stop and do activities though.

My wife and I are just about to do another relocation next week too! Again we'll be going to Christchurch, but this time driving down to Wanaka across the mountains and back up via the West Coast, we booked through http://www.transfercar.co.nz this time though, these offer relocations for FREE! They have been most helpful so far too, after booking via the net, they said that the ferry for the vehicle was not free but after a bit of haggling they threw it in free for us, and, as we knew we were going to be a bit rushed, they even threw an extra day in for free after i called them asking how much it would be for an extra day!

So, yes! Go for it. A great experience for not a lot of money! Feel free to ask any more questions.

Oh, and a couple of other tips. Use this website to check your driving times and distances between each place you want to visit http://http://www.aatravel.co.nz/main/td-calculator.php

I'd opt for the full insurance package as well, usually about $30-40 a day but means you pay no excess as they can be quite steep if you have a prang. $2-3k

Last edited by Steve1977; Apr 18th 2010 at 2:49 am. Reason: additional info
Old Apr 18th 2010, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Hazey will become famous soon enoughHazey will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a great way of seeing New Zealand for the first time and Im sure you won't fear from your tyres Im allowed to say that (Im scouse)
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:54 am

Thank you all for your message, no cons so far so its looking good!

Thanks bga, thats the site I was looking at, more info from your friend when they finally make it back would be appreciated!

Thanks for all the info Steve... I'll check out the site that offers free rentals too, sounds fab! Excellent tips about getting some freebies too, will try my luck!

Haha Hazey, yes you get a free pass with those jokes if your a fellow scouser!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:59 pm
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazey View Post
Sounds like a great way of seeing New Zealand for the first time and Im sure you won't fear from your tyres Im allowed to say that (Im scouse)
Would a woollyback get away with that I wonder
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
Would a woollyback get away with that I wonder
You can say it if you want queen but expect some wooleyback insult back... sure you can imagine what it would be!!!