Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Calling Expats who suffer from hayfever.

Calling Expats who suffer from hayfever.

Old May 5th 2007, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

meercat is on a distinguished road
Default Calling Expats who suffer from hayfever.

I have 3 members of my family who suffer from chronic hayfever in this country - but whenever we go on holiday abroad their hayfever stops! Just wanted to ask if there were any UK hayfever sufferers who now live in NZ and found it has disappeared for them. Just cost me £25 for tablets, sprays and drops for my lot here this week!
Old May 5th 2007, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice
Default Re: Calling Expats who suffer from hayfever.

oooooh, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but my dp has awful hayfever here for about 1.5 months, just as the privet that seems to line all the roads where we live flowers! sorry!

We are quite rural though, up in the northland - it might be different elsewhere?

We've also found that the tablets he takes - the ones that start with 'p' ( ) are really expensive compared to the UK (where you could buy them in Lidls! no less).

So sorry, i'm really not trying to be negative - just to let you know that there IS a privet issue up where we are...

SF
Old May 5th 2007, 6:23 am
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by soulflour
oooooh, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but my dp has awful hayfever here for about 1.5 months, just as the privet that seems to line all the roads where we live flowers! sorry!

We are quite rural though, up in the northland - it might be different elsewhere?

We've also found that the tablets he takes - the ones that start with 'p' ( ) are really expensive compared to the UK (where you could buy them in Lidls! no less).

So sorry, i'm really not trying to be negative - just to let you know that there IS a privet issue up where we are...

SF
if its really bad it could be worth going to the quack for a big prescription maybe?
Old May 5th 2007, 6:24 am
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

why is it when i press the quick reply button, it becomes a quote?
Old May 5th 2007, 6:37 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meercat
I have 3 members of my family who suffer from chronic hayfever in this country - but whenever we go on holiday abroad their hayfever stops! Just wanted to ask if there were any UK hayfever sufferers who now live in NZ and found it has disappeared for them. Just cost me £25 for tablets, sprays and drops for my lot here this week!
I have heard that the Waikato region in particular is pretty bad for hayfever. Some people who never had it in Britain develop it on settling here. It is humid/foggy a lot over the winter which probably exacerbates the problem. .
I have to add: this is what I have been told, I have no personal experience of it.
Old May 5th 2007, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

Originally Posted by Apple Tree
if its really bad it could be worth going to the quack for a big prescription maybe?
Hmmm, trouble is doctors fees and what have you..... but nay worries, I have a cunning plan (which involves sending my dad to Boots! that'll freak him out! (he doesn't get out into the 'real' world much! ))
Old May 5th 2007, 7:26 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I got it in the uk and get it worse here in Canterbury, I use Flixinase for it here and it works a treat.
I got my mum to post me over Sainsburys own brand hayfever tabs at a cost of about 75p a packet Soulflour but cos she's not a hayfever sufferer herself she has no concept of how many tablets I actually needed and only sent me three weeks worth so I gave up and just went to the chemist here.
My Dr costs $39 a visit now but they will do repeat prescriptions to avoid another visit when you need more supplies so next hayfever season I think I'll go to her and get something sorted cos Flixinase costs a small fortune as you probably know
Old May 5th 2007, 7:39 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sky

My Dr costs $39 a visit now but they will do repeat prescriptions to avoid another visit when you need more supplies so next hayfever season I think I'll go to her and get something sorted cos Flixinase costs a small fortune as you probably know

or whilst at the for another reason ask if the will tag on a prescription for it. I have done that for my asthma, and not been turned down so worth a shot........
Old May 5th 2007, 7:59 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple Tree
or whilst at the for another reason ask if the will tag on a prescription for it. I have done that for my asthma, and not been turned down so worth a shot........
Yes I've done that too ... you should have seen my last list of ailments the last time I saw her
Old May 5th 2007, 8:11 am
Just Joined

pcompton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sky
I got it in the uk and get it worse here in Canterbury, I use Flixinase for it here and it works a treat.
I got my mum to post me over Sainsburys own brand hayfever tabs at a cost of about 75p a packet Soulflour but cos she's not a hayfever sufferer herself she has no concept of how many tablets I actually needed and only sent me three weeks worth so I gave up and just went to the chemist here.
How much is Flixonase in NZ? We live in India at present and it costs about GBP4 a bottle (NZ$10).
Old May 5th 2007, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

My OH had hayfever in the UK. He doesnt suffer from it here at all.
Old May 5th 2007, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sky
I know! Like you we'd been paying about 50p a packet and when dp bought his first lot he came home from the pharmacists, i asked him how much they were and it was something like $18 for a week's worth (ie 7)!!!

Mind you, his asthma medication is now 1. better than in the UK (it's a duel thing) and 2. pretty much free - so it's swings and roundabouts I guess.

I kept meaning last spring to check out some online suppliers of hayfever stuff and maybe buy in bulk...

Everyone let me know if you find anything!!

SF
Old May 5th 2007, 9:24 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by SarahB
My OH had hayfever in the UK. He doesnt suffer from it here at all.
I suffered in Leeds but when I moved to wakefield in the uk for three years it went away ... very weird!
But it's back now in NZ .... one season I was very frightened cos my face swelled up and I couldn't breath. I was a prisoner in my own home for weeks with it.
I always make sure I have my antihistamines fully stocked before the hayfever season begins for me now .
Old May 5th 2007, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

He lived in Oz for a while too and didnt get it there either.
Old May 5th 2007, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

meercat is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sky
Does everyone have to pay to see the Dr - including children?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.