Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Calling all Welly electricians... I need you!

Calling all Welly electricians... I need you!

Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:15 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Question Calling all Welly electricians... I need you!

Anyone know of a good local electrician, or is anyone here a good local electrician? We need someone to come out and take a look at our house. Our main breaker just popped. We were running 3 things at the time - washing machine, laptop and telly. We've run far more than that before now and not had a fuse blow. Or whatever you call it.

Anyway, our electric bills have been through the friggin' roof, too, so we need some advice on whether the wiring's a bit funky etc. too.

Any recommendations from you good folk?

Thanks all.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

dave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud of
Default Re: Calling all Welly electricians... I need you!

Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Anyone know of a good local electrician, or is anyone here a good local electrician? We need someone to come out and take a look at our house. Our main breaker just popped. We were running 3 things at the time - washing machine, laptop and telly. We've run far more than that before now and not had a fuse blow. Or whatever you call it.

Anyway, our electric bills have been through the friggin' roof, too, so we need some advice on whether the wiring's a bit funky etc. too.

Thanks all.
hi maz im still in the uk sorry, but what i can do is give some pointers to look at find what size of breaker you have you should have 6amps for your lights 32amps for your sockets 16amp for your hot water if you have a cylinder and if you have a electric shower you will have to tell me what size the shower is but what you say about a laptop a telly and a washing machine if you was doing a white wash at 100 degrees it should no pop the fuses the wire might be to small or the wrong breakers but remember this a fuse is to protect the wire not you
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:35 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave.and.lisa View Post
hi maz im still in the uk sorry, but what i can do is give some pointers to look at find what size of breaker you have you should have 6amps for your lights 32amps for your sockets 16amp for your hot water if you have a cylinder and if you have a electric shower you will have to tell me what size the shower is but what you say about a laptop a telly and a washing machine if you was doing a white wash at 100 degrees it should no pop the fuses the wire might be to small or the wrong breakers but remember this a fuse is to protect the wire not you
I will take a look at this when we're in daylight tomorrow, thank you so much!

I was doing a cold wash... unreal to have popped the fuses then!

Will report back, thanks so much!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:09 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz View Post

Thanks all.

Hey Maz,

Check to see if the fuse doesn't have No 8 wire in there

Sorry but I couldn't resist
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:21 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

If the fuse is still popping it might be a good idea to unplug everything. Then plug in each appliance in turn. This might indicate which appliance is defective! Good luck anyway!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

dave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Yotty View Post
If the fuse is still popping it might be a good idea to unplug everything. Then plug in each appliance in turn. This might indicate which appliance is defective! Good luck anyway!
good idea check the washing machine it might be blow a fuse at the spin on the washing machine as the motor is on its way out when they are on the way out they use a lot of electric more amps, tripping the breaker thanks dave
Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:44 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by Yotty View Post
Good idea, thanks H. We always keep all electrics, where possible, switched off at the plug.

Originally Posted by dave.and.lisa View Post
good idea check the washing machine it might be blow a fuse at the spin on the washing machine as the motor is on its way out when they are on the way out they use a lot of electric more amps, tripping the breaker thanks dave
Oh gawd that would be miserable... we bought it new in October!