Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Calling all Wellingtonians (?) - suggestions please

Calling all Wellingtonians (?) - suggestions please

Old Oct 30th 2015, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

dave76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calling all Wellingtonians (?) - suggestions please

I'm scheduled to land in Wellington in January and I need some local advice re moving:

1. Which suburbs should I focus my search on? 30s professional, single, no kids, no car. Looking to rent a studio apt close to amenities/supermarkets in the $300-$350 range. I understand Wellington City fits the bill, but I don't necessarily clamour the night life/coffee culture and price-wise, are there other suburbs more affordable?

2. Is public transport doable? i.e. do most people use it regularly, or they have a once-an-hour schedule like regional cities in Australia?

3. Best supermarkets for groceries shopping? Aldi? Is Woolworths best value like in Aus?

4. If the apartment comes unfurnished, where should I look to buy new furniture (a bed) and a washing machine?

Any replies much appreciated.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all Wellingtonians (?) - suggestions please

Aldi? Surely not in NZ.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

I have yet to see anywhere that remotely looks and feels like an Aldi or Lidl here. You may be a little disappointed on the possible options eventually for alternatives when shopping for groceries. While out last week I heard a lady stating how excited she was to be able to get to 'Pak n Save' in Rotorua. http://www.paknsave.co.nz/upper-nort...lenty/rotorua/
Old Oct 30th 2015, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Chaffers is a great supermarket for a late night beer and a fight http://i.stuff.co.nz/business/better-business/73537761/new-world-supermarket-revealed-to-be-the-heart-of-wellingtons-crime-corridor
It does have impeccably stacked fruit & veg stands though, like world class!!
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 5:51 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

best place to look for rentals and cost would be on Trademe but I doubt you would secure one before you come so best book into a serviced apartment for a couple of days/weeks, and you will probably have to book NOW to get anywhere.
transports depends on the area on how often things run.
supermarkets - there are 3 main ones. Countdown, New World or Pak n Save.
On furnishing anywhere depends on how much you want to spend. you have cheap and cheerful from The Warehouse - probably not the best made or places like Farmers or Harvey Normans.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Tims Wellington has much to be proud ofTims Wellington has much to be proud ofTims Wellington has much to be proud ofTims Wellington has much to be proud ofTims Wellington has much to be proud ofTims Wellington has much to be proud ofTims Wellington has much to be proud ofTims Wellington has much to be proud ofTims Wellington has much to be proud ofTims Wellington has much to be proud ofTims Wellington has much to be proud of

In answer to your questions 1 and 2, if you want alternatives to the city area, try to stay close to the transport spines so that you get a regular service, including weekends. So this would mean Island Bay, Berhampore, Newtown in the south; Miramar, Kilbirnie in the east; Karori in the west; and anywhere along the Johnsonville railway line into the city (Johnsonville, Khandallah, Ngaio, Crofton Downs).

All these areas will give you good options in your price range, and you normally get more for your money than if you lived in the city itself.

Island Bay, Newtown, Miramar, Kilbirnie, Karori, Johnsonville, Khandallah and Crofton Downs all have supermarkets that are an easy walk from public transport stops - say less than 10 minutes - and remarkably for Wellington, the walks are mostly flat!

Last edited by Tims Wellington; Nov 2nd 2015 at 7:58 pm.