Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Calling all teachers! Please help, I'm going mad...

Calling all teachers! Please help, I'm going mad...

Old Nov 13th 2010, 4:36 am
Just Joined

keyholekate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calling all teachers! Please help, I'm going mad...

Originally Posted by zoexr
After completing my PGCE and teaching for 2 years in the UK, passing my induction with flying colours etc... I thought I would be ok to teach over here. Turns out that I'm not... NZ teaching council say that I have to complete 2 years mentoring here (which to me makes me an NQT again).

After lots of heading banging, if I can prove I have had a years induction I only have to be supervised for 1 more year. This seems utterly ridiculous, especially as I had responsibilty at my last school.
I just feel like giving up on teaching over here, which is my worst nightmare as I love teaching, but this and the fact that I can't seem to get a job makes me want to go back to England, at least I know what I'm up against and my name is known over there.

Sorry for the moan and if anyone else has had any experience of how I'm doing it all wrong, please let me know.
I have around 20 years teaching experience and I had to work for buttons for a while. Even now I am on less than I was in the UK. The thing is, it is different here. I do not feel as though I know it all by any means, and I have had to learn new approaches and have relied heavily on the support of colleagues here. (By the way, I was rated a 'good to excellent' teacher by OFSTED). So you have to decide whether you really want New Zealand, and are prepared to do what it takes. The mentoring is excellent, by the way, and you will then begin to climb up the scale here - if you are really good, then what's the problem?
Old Nov 14th 2010, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

gozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nice

hi Zoexr , I was in the same position as you are, We arrived here in jan last year having done a PGCE and 2 years of teaching in the UK. I was offered a permanent position in Collingwood, Golden Bay and was mentored for a year to gain my registration. We now live in Canterbury where there is more work for my OH and the cost of living is lower. On the job front we are waiting for someone to die before I can get a jobAt the moment I am on the relieving list and have regular schools ringing me with work
You will need a regular job though to get the registration and this may be a problem if you don't live in Auckland. We could have been here much sooner if I had accepted a job in Auckland. It is a good idea to take a job you are not so keen on to get your full registration (just like beginning an NQT) Seems tough but kiwi rules here so suck it up and just do what they expect or you will never get on. Teaching here is so very different to the Uk that I can honestly say I felt like an NQT again. All the best ...
Gozzy
Old Nov 14th 2010, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

gozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nice

You don't say if you are primary or secondary trained? If you are working as a TA join the union PPTA for Secondary and NZEI for primary - they will help you sort out any problems. Even if it is just someone to moan too! Been there so know how you feel Be as flexible as you can and keep trying.
Gozzy
Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:10 am
Just Joined

keyholekate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gozzy
hi Zoexr , I was in the same position as you are, We arrived here in jan last year having done a PGCE and 2 years of teaching in the UK. I was offered a permanent position in Collingwood, Golden Bay and was mentored for a year to gain my registration. We now live in Canterbury where there is more work for my OH and the cost of living is lower. On the job front we are waiting for someone to die before I can get a jobAt the moment I am on the relieving list and have regular schools ringing me with work
You will need a regular job though to get the registration and this may be a problem if you don't live in Auckland. We could have been here much sooner if I had accepted a job in Auckland. It is a good idea to take a job you are not so keen on to get your full registration (just like beginning an NQT) Seems tough but kiwi rules here so suck it up and just do what they expect or you will never get on. Teaching here is so very different to the Uk that I can honestly say I felt like an NQT again. All the best ...
Gozzy
Very funny! But yes, it is a bit like that, isn't it? I am not young myself, but hey - these guys stick in their jobs forever and it is VERY hard to get work. I am in the Wellington region and was knocked back twelve times. Just coming to the end of a fixed term contract and desperate really to get something. I was working for $1800 dollars a month at first too, but you've just got to accept it really. I prefer the teaching here but still feel like I have a lot to learn.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by keyholekate
Very funny! But yes, it is a bit like that, isn't it? I am not young myself, but hey - these guys stick in their jobs forever and it is VERY hard to get work. I am in the Wellington region and was knocked back twelve times. Just coming to the end of a fixed term contract and desperate really to get something. I was working for $1800 dollars a month at first too, but you've just got to accept it really. I prefer the teaching here but still feel like I have a lot to learn.

I'm so glad that it's not just me to be waiting for someone to die!!!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by zoexr
After completing my PGCE and teaching for 2 years in the UK, passing my induction with flying colours etc... I thought I would be ok to teach over here. Turns out that I'm not... NZ teaching council say that I have to complete 2 years mentoring here (which to me makes me an NQT again).

After lots of heading banging, if I can prove I have had a years induction I only have to be supervised for 1 more year. This seems utterly ridiculous, especially as I had responsibilty at my last school.
I just feel like giving up on teaching over here, which is my worst nightmare as I love teaching, but this and the fact that I can't seem to get a job makes me want to go back to England, at least I know what I'm up against and my name is known over there.

Sorry for the moan and if anyone else has had any experience of how I'm doing it all wrong, please let me know.
oooh don't go back to that cold, class riddled place pease! lol! Sorry to be so flippant i've got a PGCE (learning disabilites/pottery) so i responded to your call! I know how undervalued teachers are everywhere, also know that there r some really bad teachers out there too oops! don't give up on the fight, good luck
Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
As a recent PCGE with only 2 years I would consider you a fairly new teacher, and in addition you move to a new country with a different curriculum so you can hardly expect to be put in charge of a classroom right away. This sounds like good practice to me. No doubt your love of teaching will shine through and your career will go well, but give them a chance to find out what you are made of. Just because the UK think you can teach doesn't mean New Zealand does. I have a UK PGCE and 15 years teaching and I'm not qualified to teach in NZ either. Fortunately I have no desire to.

I realise you probably want to vent. Just knuckle down and do it and you will find the time whizzes by quickly. Just a word of warning. You might find NZ teachers are not that interested in how it's done in the UK. Won't make you friends in the staff room.
I also was a Dept. Hd. in UK.
I concur with all you say. Different country, different curriculum requires more evidence of teaching ability.
Numerous professions with sound qualifications in UK have to go through a formal 'training/induction period' before being appointed in NZ.
Even those with high UK grades have to take this advice.
Don't fret-- It will be well worth it.
At the end of the day you will know that you are working for in a system which really values teachers.?????????
Sorry -- bit of a GOOF there!
Teachers are holding spasmodic strikes at the mo.
Ah well. I led a strike in 1981-
so I guess nothing changes!