Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Calling all Quantity Surveyors!!

Calling all Quantity Surveyors!!

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:39 am
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about
Talking Calling all Quantity Surveyors!!

Hello everyone who is reading this.

We are wanting to know about other Quantity Surveyors trying to move to New Zealand and the problems they may be encountering with anything.

We have had a few frustrating problems ourselves already and wanted to know if we were not alone and could even solve a few of these problems along the way at the same time

Ta All
Gags
Old Sep 25th 2009, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Calling all Quantity Surveyors!!

Originally Posted by gags

We are wanting to know about other Quantity Surveyors trying to move to New Zealand and the problems they may be encountering with anything.

We have had a few frustrating problems ourselves already and wanted to know if we were not alone and could even solve a few of these problems along the way at the same time

Ta All
Gags
Hi Gags, looks like you are all alone!! Sorry, only kidding I can't help you but good luck!!
Old Sep 25th 2009, 9:25 pm

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

Hi Strawbie,

yeh, now I'm worried
Old Sep 25th 2009, 9:37 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok dont get excited when you see someone else has replied
am not Quantity Surveyor (sorry wished I was and could help) just wanted to say Hi & welcome

I am sure there must be someone out there, surely

Welcome anyway
Dewb
Old Sep 25th 2009, 9:38 pm

thanks dweb
Old Sep 26th 2009, 4:52 am

daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point

Ta All
Gags
hi ....i am MRICS but had no issues when we came over in 2002 ...... what sort of problems are you having ?
Old Sep 26th 2009, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Ta All
Gags
While not a bean counter I am working for one of the main contractors over here, what kind of issues are you having?!?
Old Sep 26th 2009, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light

Right, come on gags, you CAN handle this, you now have two people with possible advice, don't back out now!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 2:30 pm

Many thanks to you Strawbie Busy lady me!!

Basically our problems so far are quoted below from another thread listed:-

We are desperate for some words of encouragement and hope from all you guys as we cannot seem to get any further on our quest for a new life.
Last year my OH was offered a job as a Quantity Surveyor. The house was sold, our belongings gathered together. Recession hit, our buyers pulled out and we felt if would be unfair to let the NZ employer wait anymore, so we pulled out of the whole thing at that time.
Not to be put off, and having learn't a great deal from mistakes made and tonnes of research done, we decided to attack it from another direction and apply for the EOI first, get selected and accepted OH apply for a job, get it sell the house and move
Since we last looked, they had lowered the points to 120 and so thought we would stand a better chance but have since learn't that even though my OH has had over 25 years of good Quantity Surveying experience in London and other areas with qualifications equivalent to a degree, alas because it does not say the word 'Batchelor!', which is what NZQ are looking for, we find he does not qualify for the right amount of points needed making us sit at the bottom of the pool
This seems to us that what they are looking for is someone straight out of college with all the 'now' paperwork but with no experience.
We have tried my humble qualifications and have received only 5 extra points

We have now cancelled all the medicals and are scratching our heads because we really want to be there with our 3 children, 15, 12, and 5 by the end of next year as we are trying to time my middle sons exams right.
Not sure what to do next. Employers obviously want what OH has to offer but the NZQ do not see it that way at all.
Basically we wanted to know if other Quantity Surveyors had come across the same problem and if so how did they overcome them?
I think we have come to the conclusion now that we go along the employment route after Xmas.

Old Sep 28th 2009, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Basically we wanted to know if other Quantity Surveyors had come across the same problem and if so how did they overcome them?
I think we have come to the conclusion now that we go along the employment route after Xmas.

Think you need to go down the Talent Accredited Employer route, basically you need the job offer before you apply by going down the Work to Residency route. Basically thats what I did and with an accredited employer job offer its quite straightforward.

Construction here hasn't been hit as hard as the UK but it has still taken a bit of a hit, lots of developers have put plans on the back burner, but there are signs that it is warming up again at the moment, we are still tendering for a fair amount of work, even if there are no huge new construction jobs out there at the moment.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 8:03 pm

daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,sorry can't reallyhelp now having read your message,when i applied in 2002 i sent off my arics info together with the diploma and they came back,albeit some 10 weeks later with it having been accepted .... i do agree with other posters though in that construction is still ok ( on south island ) anyway and that if you arived you would get a position somewhere especially if location isn't an issue ..... lots of luck with your quest ...
Old Sep 29th 2009, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Think you need to go down the Talent Accredited Employer route, basically you need the job offer before you apply by going down the Work to Residency route. Basically thats what I did and with an accredited employer job offer its quite straightforward.

Construction here hasn't been hit as hard as the UK but it has still taken a bit of a hit, lots of developers have put plans on the back burner, but there are signs that it is warming up again at the moment, we are still tendering for a fair amount of work, even if there are no huge new construction jobs out there at the moment.
Many thanks, yes we too have been told that the construction business has not been hit quite as bad as here, so that is very encouraging. So in that view we will look at getting my OH employment after Christmas.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by daisycutter
hi,sorry can't reallyhelp now having read your message,when i applied in 2002 i sent off my arics info together with the diploma and they came back,albeit some 10 weeks later with it having been accepted .... i do agree with other posters though in that construction is still ok ( on south island ) anyway and that if you arived you would get a position somewhere especially if location isn't an issue ..... lots of luck with your quest ...
Thanks daisycutter We thought there may be more of us in the same position but no not to worry though. We will find another way thats for sure!