British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   calling all nurses! which module to choose for degree??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/calling-all-nurses-module-choose-degree-380312/)

nearly nurse Jun 19th 2006 7:25 pm

calling all nurses! which module to choose for degree???

Hi thanks for reading

I'm looking for some guidance from all you nurses out there. Shazza was particularly helpful with my last post so if your out there feel free to help me again ;)

I'm just about to enter my final year of my nursing course and would like some advice on which module (degree level) to choose in one of my semesters. I'm planning to move over to NZ when I'm qualified. It would be great if someone could tell me if any of the options available are particularly relevant to nursing in NZ.

The choices are:
1. Spiritual, Religious and Emotional Health.
2. E-Health (whatever that is!!!!) :confused:
3. Inclusion & Integration: Interproffessional Approaches in Learning Disability.
4. Health & Community Care
5. Promotion of Continence
6. Ethics for Practice

Any and all advice is very welcome.
cheers, Claire

Kaz n Joolz Jun 20th 2006 1:13 am

Re: calling all nurses! which module to choose for degree???

Hi Claire

Hummmm.......the subjects all sound really stimulating :zzz: !!!!!

No, seriously, the choice you make has to be relevant to your ultimate qualification it's no use knowing all about interprofessional approaches within LD if you're planning to work within geriatrics (for example!).

What qualification are you studying for, RGN, RMN, RScN or RNLD?
As an RNLD moving over to NZ next month, the choice and range of employment opportunities at the moment are pretty few and far between however, due to new legislation in Mental Health law, there will be an increased demand for nurses with LD qualifications/experiance over the next few years. At present, NZ doesn't even train LD nurses although we are recognised!!!

Whatever decision you make, good luck.

Karen

shazzafromnz Jun 20th 2006 8:02 am

Originally Posted by nearly nurse
Hi thanks for reading

I'm looking for some guidance from all you nurses out there. Shazza was particularly helpful with my last post so if your out there feel free to help me again ;)

I'm just about to enter my final year of my nursing course and would like some advice on which module (degree level) to choose in one of my semesters. I'm planning to move over to NZ when I'm qualified. It would be great if someone could tell me if any of the options available are particularly relevant to nursing in NZ.

The choices are:
1. Spiritual, Religious and Emotional Health.
2. E-Health (whatever that is!!!!) :confused:
3. Inclusion & Integration: Interproffessional Approaches in Learning Disability.
4. Health & Community Care
5. Promotion of Continence
6. Ethics for Practice

Any and all advice is very welcome.
cheers, Claire

Hi Claire
Do you have a breakdown for what is being covered in each module or just the title of the modules.?.without knowing anymore than what you have written here my first pick would be Ethics for practice and 2nd pick Spiritual Religous and Emotional Health
They should be generally useful in whatever area of Nursing you might end up practicing in..
3rd pick ..Health and community care might be best if you think you will work in the community rather than a hospital.
Shazza

nearly nurse Jul 13th 2006 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by shazzafromnz
Hi Claire
Do you have a breakdown for what is being covered in each module or just the title of the modules.?.without knowing anymore than what you have written here my first pick would be Ethics for practice and 2nd pick Spiritual Religous and Emotional Health
They should be generally useful in whatever area of Nursing you might end up practicing in..
3rd pick ..Health and community care might be best if you think you will work in the community rather than a hospital.
Shazza

hey guys

I can only apologise for my slack late response to your ...eh...responses :o . I do have a reasonably good excuse though! when we were given the document to sign on whether we wanted to do the degree or not it said there was module booklets available for each of the module choices (think this is what you had in mind shazza). I have been in search of these elusive booklets ever since, and now we are on holiday so there is no one in uni to help me find these damn things :mad:

My heads a bit up in the air at the mo with all things nursey! To answer your question kaz & joolz I'm studying for the RGN qualification and although I'm convinced this is the right choice for me, I have absolutely no idea of the area I want to work in :eek: so you can imagine this gives me a wee problem considering that i start my final year in the new term (about 11 weeks time)!!

Is this a normal situation for student nurses to be in, cause a few of my friends feel the same.

Oh I cant wait till the summer holidays, so we can be over in NZ and OZ (in winter but who cares) for a few weeks of 'practice' for when we finally get there for good!!! :)

cheers
Claire