Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Calling all nurses....BNF advice please.

Calling all nurses....BNF advice please.

Old May 26th 2008, 10:45 am
AKA New Nurse

nearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant future
Default Calling all nurses....BNF advice please.

Hi, Im looking for some advice on the NZ version of the BNF....if there is one Im due to start my job by late August and thought it might be wise to swot up......iv only been a real nurse since October 07 so at times im still finding my way around the drug trolly. Now iv got a brand new one to panic about

If there is an equivalent book, do you think I would be able to find one on ebay or amazon?

Any info appriciated

Claire
Old May 26th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

doje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Calling all nurses....BNF advice please.

Hi Nearly New,

My experiance here in Oz, is that they use MIMS most of the time.
Dont worry about not knowing all the drugs etc, Ive been qualified for twenty years and I use the formulary practically on a daily basis.

Good luck

donna
Old May 26th 2008, 11:21 am
AKA New Nurse

nearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by doje6863
Hi Nearly New,

My experiance here in Oz, is that they use MIMS most of the time.
Dont worry about not knowing all the drugs etc, Ive been qualified for twenty years and I use the formulary practically on a daily basis.

Good luck

donna

Hi Donna

Oh thats a relief! Glad its not just me and my inexperience

I dont like MIMS though, I find it really confusing and disjointed Lol. Ah well, guess I better get used to it . I take it its a NZ published MIMS and not one I could get hold of over here?

Thanks for your reply.
Claire
Old May 26th 2008, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

doje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of light

I agree, its very disjointed. I wouldnt worry about not having access before you come over here (ish!!). I suppose you could see if theres a MIMS on-line NZ, Im sure I remember tapping into that when I lived in the UK.

And dont ever worry that you dont know stuff, just worry when you think you know it all!

best of luck

donna
Old May 27th 2008, 10:20 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by doje6863
I agree, its very disjointed. I wouldnt worry about not having access before you come over here (ish!!). I suppose you could see if theres a MIMS on-line NZ, Im sure I remember tapping into that when I lived in the UK.

And dont ever worry that you dont know stuff, just worry when you think you know it all!

best of luck

donna
Totally agree about time to worry.

Don't like MIMs either, BNF so much easier to plow through. Try chemists.
Old May 27th 2008, 9:08 pm
AKA New Nurse

Originally Posted by howden40
Totally agree about time to worry.

Don't like MIMs either, BNF so much easier to plow through. Try chemists.
Hi Howden

Whats chemists? Is that along the same lines as BNF? Or do you mean you can buy them at chemists?! Im a tad confused!

You think I could get a NZ version of any one of them on ebay/amazon/trade me?

claire
Old May 28th 2008, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Lplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really nice

Hi
You could try looking at Pharmac (www.pharmac.govt.nz) for common drugs here, otherwise you will be able to familiarise yourself once you get here. To be honest most of the drugs are the same (in my profession anyway) some with slightly different name. Also I still have a copy of the BNF and use it here (and have referenced it for essays!)

Don't worry, drugs is drugs!