Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

calling all nurses.....advice please

calling all nurses.....advice please

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Question calling all nurses.....advice please

my 4 yr old daughter is due to have her injections (MMR) . bearing in mind that she's a nightmare at having jabs (i have to lay her on the floor, sit on her to keep her stillish, hold her arm as still as i can while the nurse does the dead) . after her last trip to the drs for jabs (where she bolted out the door & down the road when her name was called cos she knew what was coming) my friend (a uk peds nurse, whom i shall be calling in a few hrs) suggest i ask the drs to give her a topical anaesthetic such as emla or ametop.
having spoken to the nurse at the quacks here i have been told that the emla will cost $66, & they are concerned that she would still feel the fluid go into her arm & that they are not sure if the vacine would be compromised by the cream on the arm............ which to me sounds like i'm being fobbed off a bit .
we don't mind paying for the cream if it helps reduce her fear/stress of the injection situation, but i do have to keep in mind neither of my kids will probably need a jab for at least another 4yrs , so i couldn't use the cream again

so what do you medical people think, all advice greatly recieved
thanks hope i don't sound like a neurotic mother!!!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 6:31 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: calling all nurses.....advice please

Originally Posted by poppets
my 4 yr old daughter is due to have her injections (MMR) . bearing in mind that she's a nightmare at having jabs (i have to lay her on the floor, sit on her to keep her stillish, hold her arm as still as i can while the nurse does the dead) . after her last trip to the drs for jabs (where she bolted out the door & down the road when her name was called cos she knew what was coming) my friend (a uk peds nurse, whom i shall be calling in a few hrs) suggest i ask the drs to give her a topical anaesthetic such as emla or ametop.
having spoken to the nurse at the quacks here i have been told that the emla will cost $66, & they are concerned that she would still feel the fluid go into her arm & that they are not sure if the vacine would be compromised by the cream on the arm............ which to me sounds like i'm being fobbed off a bit .
we don't mind paying for the cream if it helps reduce her fear/stress of the injection situation, but i do have to keep in mind neither of my kids will probably need a jab for at least another 4yrs , so i couldn't use the cream again

so what do you medical people think, all advice greatly recieved
thanks hope i don't sound like a neurotic mother!!!!!
Hi Rachael, I was under the impression you could buy the emla patches at $18.00 FOR 2 .
http://www.peterbolespharmacy.co.nz/...ts/?product=27
I can't offer any help with the efficacy of the immunisation once it has been injected through the cream but I would have thought that it would have been swabbed anyway
I know that the patches work really well as I have watched Melissa have blood tests done and she doesn't flinch at all. And feeling the fluid going in is not the painful part, the pain is when the needle goes through the skin surely?
Anyway, hope this helps
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
Hi Rachael, I was under the impression you could buy the emla patches at $18.00 FOR 2 .
http://www.peterbolespharmacy.co.nz/...ts/?product=27
I can't offer any help with the efficacy of the immunisation once it has been injected through the cream but I would have thought that it would have been swabbed anyway
I know that the patches work really well as I have watched Melissa have blood tests done and she doesn't flinch at all. And feeling the fluid going in is not the painful part, the pain is when the needle goes through the skin surely?
Anyway, hope this helps
thanks karen will ask about that.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi poppets

i have a tube of emla cream if you want me to post it to you, from boots you can get a pack of 4 for £15

i had it for when i had a tattoo done, i am not the bravest person in the world and i have the patches that go with it, i can send it tomorrow if you want. i am in the uk but should be with you in a couple of days

with regards

kirstie x
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by KIRSTIE
hi poppets

i have a tube of emla cream if you want me to post it to you, from boots you can get a pack of 4 for £15

i had it for when i had a tattoo done, i am not the bravest person in the world and i have the patches that go with it, i can send it tomorrow if you want. i am in the uk but should be with you in a couple of days

with regards

kirstie x
thats really kind Kirstie, as it happens MIL is going shopping for us after work , so i'll get her to pop into boots & get some , but thanks for the info , much cheaper than it is here.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Poppets, hows it going?

I was just thinking about the MMR the other day as a friend mentioned it. What age do they have to have it here?? Is it just before they start school?

Cheers

Sarah
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Poor poppets, she's still going to be anxious & know what's about to happen, & to be honest the jab is that quick, I really don't think it'll make much difference. Good luck.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:38 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB

I was just thinking about the MMR the other day as a friend mentioned it. What age do they have to have it here?? Is it just before they start school?

Cheers

Sarah
On the subject of immunisation, we have been getting mixed messages about the meningovacs and hep b. Both kids are supposed to get hep b but the eldest (6 in Dec) is not allowed the meningitis vaccine although youngest (2) is....any thoughts?? Plunket nurse recommends both have meningovac, as does the literature at MrsL's work but the first doctor we saw said no. Odd that immunisation is not recommended as I thought all medics would rather you have it than not...... ??
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SarahB

Cheers

Sarah
yes these are her pre - school jabs (same as she would have had in uk) in preparation for her going to school . i think they do them between 4 & 4 1/2

i have just spoken to my best mate in uk (the peds nurse) who has said the cream will not interfere with the vaccine, & that at her hospital some of the consultants won't give a kid the jabs unless they've had the cream on. so going to get MIL to get cream in boots , post it over while i delay her appt til next week.

Boopy, hi ya , yeah i know she'll still probably freak out when she has the jab , but i've told her that aunty lou says to have magic cream & it won't hurt , my main aim is to leave her less traumatised than me sitting on her every time she has a jab. hopefully this time she'll see its not worth the stress
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

which to me sounds like i'm being fobbed off a bit .

Poppets I think you are right. We used patches for my very anxious Grand daughter and we gave her some rescue remedy ... she was fine.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
which to me sounds like i'm being fobbed off a bit .

Poppets I think you are right. We used patches for my very anxious Grand daughter and we gave her some rescue remedy ... she was fine.
what rescue remedy was that ?

ok i found it after a google search , which one did you use?

Last edited by poppets; Sep 3rd 2007 at 11:33 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Smile Re: calling all nurses.....advice please

Hi
Ive worked in A&E and gad to give injections to kids, the topical cream might help a tiny bit but its the fear of the injection that is usually worse. I dont no any kids who like injections.

My advice would be to talk about it and offer a reward for after the injection but ultimately she will get upset and the quicker its done the better!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppets
what rescue remedy was that ?

ok i found it after a google search , which one did you use?
We used the drops under the tongue.