Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Calling all Fen Tigers!

Calling all Fen Tigers!

Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Genie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really nice
Lightbulb Calling all Fen Tigers!

OK, off of the back of some messages on another thread, there seems to be quite a few people from the fens here

Just a thought, but how about tracking us all down, so to speak, and maybe sorting out a get together

All of us "flat landers, as far as the eye can see" people could catch up!!!!

Look forwards to hearing from some of you
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all Fen Tigers!

Hey I'm from the flatlands too! My parents live right on the edge of the fens still near Peterborough.

Whereabouts were/are you from?
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Genie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really nice

Originally Posted by SarahB
Hey I'm from the flatlands too! My parents live right on the edge of the fens still near Peterborough.

Whereabouts were/are you from?
Was Ely area!!! Now SI
Know P'Borough well, used to swim there regulary and also shopping!!

Good to hear from another Fennie!!
Whereabouts near P'Borough?
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genie3
Was Ely area!!! Now SI
Know P'Borough well, used to swim there regulary and also shopping!!

Good to hear from another Fennie!!
Whereabouts near P'Borough?
We had a house in Yaxley and one in Deeping St James (both sold now).... not the true fens really....kinda near the edge of the fens I guess.... my parents live in Northborough still and its pretty flat where they are.

Ive never heard of the Fen Tiger name though? Maybe a Swamp Donkey or a Carrot Cruncher!

I'm not used to walking up hills and luckily Beachlands is pretty flat. I used to love the flatlands though.... been there most of my life.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Off2NZ will become famous soon enoughOff2NZ will become famous soon enough

OK, off of the back of some messages on another thread, there seems to be quite a few people from the fens here

Just a thought, but how about tracking us all down, so to speak, and maybe sorting out a get together

All of us "flat landers, as far as the eye can see" people could catch up!!!!

Look forwards to hearing from some of you
I'm here, as you know from the other thread! Originally from Soham and now living near Nelson! Am up for a get together if it's possible but I think we may find that we're spread about a bit. So far, of the 3 of us who have owned up, Sarah's in Auckland, I'm here and you're further south, aren't you? I guess, if nothing else, we can all chat on here and reminisce about the fens, can't we!!!

I can back you up on the Fen Tiger name though!!!

Last edited by Off2NZ; Apr 15th 2008 at 10:59 am. Reason: Just read Sarah's post!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:04 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Dribble and I came over from Littleport, Ely.

Dribble is from Fakenham

But can I just add we lived in Littleport, we are not FROM Littleport. Felt the need there to clear that up

And Dribble doesnt have webbed feet.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

We had a house in Yaxley and one in Deeping St James (both sold now).... not the true fens really....kinda near the edge of the fens I guess.... my parents live in Northborough still and its pretty flat where they are.

Ive never heard of the Fen Tiger name though? Maybe a Swamp Donkey or a Carrot Cruncher!

I'm not used to walking up hills and luckily Beachlands is pretty flat. I used to love the flatlands though.... been there most of my life.
Excellent!!

The Fen Tiger is a name associated with the Isle of Ely and surrounding areas due to the draining of the fens and fighting against it I believe, carrot cruncher is Chatteris, (know it well too) swamp donkey? no idea!!
Really miss driving on the flats, so easy!!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dreamfish
....so youre not from Wisbech then?
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:08 am

....so youre not from Wisbech then?
hell no (although, worryingly, when my dad did our family tree we discovered some 'cousins' in wisbech).

no i am a Pottery.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Off2NZ will become famous soon enoughOff2NZ will become famous soon enough

But can I just add we lived in Littleport, we are not FROM Littleport. Felt the need there to clear that up
Like it!!!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Excellent!!

The Fen Tiger is a name associated with the Isle of Ely and surrounding areas due to the draining of the fens and fighting against it I believe, carrot cruncher is Chatteris, (know it well too) swamp donkey? no idea!!
Really miss driving on the flats, so easy!!!
lol.... no idea where Swamp Donkey was from either? I'll try and remember where I heard it.

Walking was easy too..... I had my foot put back on after an accident and now it only bends so far at the ankle.... so I literally cant walk up hills any more.

I used to love seeing the autumn early morning mists over the fields.... theres a special beauty to the fens.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Off2NZ
I'm here, as you know from the other thread! Originally from Soham and now living near Nelson! Am up for a get together if it's possible but I think we may find that we're spread about a bit. So far, of the 3 of us who have owned up, Sarah's in Auckland, I'm here and you're further south, aren't you? I guess, if nothing else, we can all chat on here and reminisce about the fens, can't we!!!

I can back you up on the Fen Tiger name though!!!
Hey!! Wakefield is not that far!! Let's see who else owns up
We are the other side of Nelson past Atawhai.
Where abouts are you from? Knew Fen Tiger would hit the right nerve with those of us from there (bit like writing calling all mancs etc!)
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Dribble and I came over from Littleport, Ely.

Dribble is from Fakenham

How long were you in Litteport then??!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

lol.... no idea where Swamp Donkey was from either? I'll try and remember where I heard it.

Walking was easy too..... I had my foot put back on after an accident and now it only bends so far at the ankle.... so I literally cant walk up hills any more.

I used to love seeing the autumn early morning mists over the fields.... theres a special beauty to the fens.

Yep can't beat early morning dog walks in the fens the views and beauty.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:14 am

How long were you in Litteport then??!!
5 years, lived on Station Road - you have to be eighth generation 'littleportian' before you are considered worthy of being spoken to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.