Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Calling all dog owners?

Calling all dog owners?

Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:46 am
Just Joined

Cram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant future
Default Re: Calling all dog owners?

Originally Posted by annbee
Hi, if you can bring your dog over. We made the decision to not bring ours when we came over last october and it is still very hard not to have him. the girls cried more when we got here because they missed "Jaspa" than missing family and friends. We left him with my parents so we know that he is well cared for and we see him on the webcam but its not the same. We felt so lost without a dog that in january we got a puppy "Woody" and he is keeping us very busy and the girls are so much happier.

good look with your journey you wont regret it.

Annx
i brought my dog over and we are living in a rental. The landlord at first was not happy about having the dog in, but a few more weeks rent as bond and he changed his mind.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:55 am
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,

We have two dogs and two cats. Didn't have a problem finding rentals, I lived in a hostel/backpackers (private room) for 3 weeks when I got here, and during that time i got offered 2 that would take dogs out of about 10 that i'd looked at. That was in AKL, we moved to WGTN about 6 months ago, same thing here.

Allow a couple of weeks to find a house, then be patient and work all the letting agents, offer a larger bond and more frequent inspections. they hardly ever come to inspect anyway, but it shows willing. Also if you are renting in UK bring a refference from the landlord/agent there.

Bring your pets ! for what it is worth finding a house is simple.

Adie
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

We put our dog in to kennels in the UK through a fab pet shipping company in Leeds. They arranged for the poo and blood tests etc to be done by a vet thier, it all started 30 days before he was due to be shipped out. Total cost of kennels, vets, certificates and shipping was £3,500. He's a chocolate lab four years old. I know it might seem cruel to put him in kennels for that long, but it gave us time to get here to Wellington, and look for somewhere to rent while we stayed at a hotel. We landed 1st Jan 2008 and had found somewhere to rent within 2 weeks and moved in 17th Jan. We were lucky that we didn't have to pay anything extra as the landlord said in the advert that pets were OK. We found it on Trade Me, which is a great place to look.
I hope it all goes well.
Catkin
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

Thank you soo much everyone ... I never really entertained the idea of re-homing our dog, but after reading horror stories about not being able to find rentals I needed to ask.

I personally don't think my son would cope with losing her ... even at the ripe age of 4, he terribly missed our old dog, whom was put to sleep 18 months ago so I can't possibly put him through that again.

thanks again ... off to show hubby this thread!!

Lou