Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Calling all Atlantic Islanders!

Calling all Atlantic Islanders!

Old Aug 24th 2008, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

slippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the rough
Default Calling all Atlantic Islanders!

Kia Ora
Just a tip for all those expats who are sick of being classified as an "OTHER" when you have to describe for any reason your ethnic group..... Say you are an Atlantic Islander and watch their faces
The ethnic groups that the authorities in NZ have big boxes to put a tick in are Maori or Pacific Islanders and any other New Zealanders (who are only permitted to put a tick in the NZ European box) consequently try and find a small trace of Maori decent and say that their iwi is 100th Whakemenwhakyu tribe so that they can gain an acceptable identity and connection to what is rightfully their country.
Wake up NZ and let’s be culturally sensitive to all and give everyone the identity that anyone wishes to be known as. If you want to call yourself Maori that’s absolutely fine and fantastic, a New Zealander wonderful, Welsh, English, Scottish, British all good.........If you are from the Island of Lesbos though forget it. The statistic buffoons over here will assume that you are poking fun at you know who
Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all Atlantic Islanders!

Originally Posted by slippery
Kia Ora
Just a tip for all those expats who are sick of being classified as an "OTHER" when you have to describe for any reason your ethnic group..... Say you are an Atlantic Islander and watch their faces
Hey, I like that - I bet it will cause just as much confusion if I start using it in Australia
Thanks!!!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Calling all Atlantic Islanders!

I liked your tongue in cheek post. I find it offensive when I have am asked my ethnicity. I especially don't like being called Pakeha, to me it is like being called a negro, not that negro's are bad, I hope you get the point I am trying to make. After all, we are not guests here.