British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Call all Paediatric Nurses (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/call-all-paediatric-nurses-439204/)

AMBER Apr 1st 2007 10:40 pm

Call all Paediatric Nurses

Hi,
I am a paediatric oncology nurse that would prefer to continue working in this area but in NZ. My debate is at Starship Hospital (Auckland) or Wellington Children's Hospital. :huh:
My OH is getting fed up as I seem to change my mind daily and where the family is going to be dragged along to (all be it very willingly) changes.
Are there any nurses that have experience of either of these areas?
Amber

danny.f Apr 1st 2007 11:13 pm

Re: Call all Paediatric Nurses

Originally Posted by AMBER (Post 4590312)
Hi,
I am a paediatric oncology nurse that would prefer to continue working in this area but in NZ. My debate is at Starship Hospital (Auckland) or Wellington Children's Hospital. :huh:
My OH is getting fed up as I seem to change my mind daily and where the family is going to be dragged along to (all be it very willingly) changes.
Are there any nurses that have experience of either of these areas?
Amber

Well,hello there girl. Worked on paed oncology for 13 years in UK,now on Wellington,Ward 18,6-16 yrs old,lots of oncology which is great,but also bits of everything else which for me is even better-stops me etting too stale.
Personally I really like it-it's not a dedicated Onc like Starship,but loads of chemo,and managing side effects,all transplants go North,so less stress there.
You would be guaranteed a job,in a far friendlier city (;) ),the orientation is good.What's your experience/backround-when you coming out-when would you like an interview?:D

AMBER Apr 2nd 2007 7:22 am

Originally Posted by danny.f (Post 4590405)
Well,hello there girl. Worked on paed oncology for 13 years in UK,now on Wellington,Ward 18,6-16 yrs old,lots of oncology which is great,but also bits of everything else which for me is even better-stops me etting too stale.
Personally I really like it-it's not a dedicated Onc like Starship,but loads of chemo,and managing side effects,all transplants go North,so less stress there.
You would be guaranteed a job,in a far friendlier city (;) ),the orientation is good.What's your experience/backround-when you coming out-when would you like an interview?:D

Hi Danny,
That sounds great. Worked at Royal Marsden for 6 years on the ward and now as a Paed onc research nurse for 1 year. Now waiting for police check + transcript to be sent before sending application to Nursing Council of NZ. House is sold here. Unsure how long EOI and ITA takes after registration comes through/ ?job offer. Where did you work in UK? What's Wellington like? Is it good for children?

AMBER Apr 2nd 2007 7:25 am

Originally Posted by AMBER (Post 4591153)
Hi Danny,
That sounds great. Worked at Royal Marsden for 6 years on the ward and now as a Paed onc research nurse for 1 year. Now waiting for police check + transcript to be sent before sending application to Nursing Council of NZ. House is sold here. Unsure how long EOI and ITA takes after registration comes through/ ?job offer. Where did you work in UK? What's Wellington like? Is it good for children?

I can't beleive that they are not connected but the agency I am with have contacted me to say Welly Hosp are looking for Paeds Nurses and am I interested?! YES!!

cherry Apr 2nd 2007 8:49 am

Originally Posted by AMBER (Post 4591158)
I can't beleive that they are not connected but the agency I am with have contacted me to say Welly Hosp are looking for Paeds Nurses and am I interested?! YES!!

So you want to work with a load of nutters from the UK looking after kids ,well I am sure that you will fit in fine here especially with Danny who shaves his head to feel part of them and give the kids the best care anyone who is dedicated like him would do .I am not into that thing but knowing Danny and seeing how he is with kids you will do well here joining the fantastic clan of expats who love the job they do.Plus the good side after work is the social side with bbq`s and pee ups and I dont mean against the fence.Welly is ace and the people are as well.
Welcome to a new future here and a first meeting with all us nutters ,good luck and Bon Voyage .

Bring more Brits out here the last ones were delicious .Al the shark:rofl:

donnaf Apr 2nd 2007 10:26 am

Hi Amber,
Danny and I both worked at Alder Hey. They are crying out for experienced nurses here so you should have no problems. I e mailed them our CV cold and they e mailed straight back asking us to apply, we had phone interviews and were offered the jobs a few days later after references etc were in. The interview was nothing like in the UK - they are more interested in are you going to settle, will you miss home etc. Danny has had a great orientation proramme and he finds the staff great - only pain is the shifts with the late shift ending at 11pm which is not great. I decided not to accept my job offer as it would have been really difficult us both working shifts for child care and I'm working locally as a health care promotion nurse, which is brilliant so we're both really settled and happy. There is much less stress here and I understand from Danny that they haven't got many nurses with a lot of oncology experience in Welly Children's so you should be snapped up! The other thing - they held our jobs open for us for 7 months so timing should be OK too. good luck.

AMBER Apr 6th 2007 10:06 am

Bring more Brits out here the last ones were delicious .Al the shark:rofl:[/QUOTE]:rofl: :rofl:
Well I have plenty of meat on me for Al!

Sound excellent, especially with the social side. I guess you are one of the nutty nurses? Where do you work?

Donnaf- I can't believe that they kept the jobs for 7 months, that brilliant. Well fingers crossed for me.

Whats Welly like for children?

Amber

danny.f Apr 6th 2007 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by AMBER (Post 4608517)
Bring more Brits out here the last ones were delicious .Al the shark:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:
Well I have plenty of meat on me for Al!

Sound excellent, especially with the social side. I guess you are one of the nutty nurses? Where do you work?

Donnaf- I can't believe that they kept the jobs for 7 months, that brilliant. Well fingers crossed for me.

Whats Welly like for children?

Amber[/QUOTE]

For children it is superb,there's water,parks,pools,playgrounds,restaurants,boats,cy cle paths,footy,rugby,netball,indoor and outdoor is catered for massively everywhere-you'll love it.

AMBER Apr 7th 2007 6:26 am

Thanks, thats really helpful. Hopefully I will be working with you in the next few months.:D
Amber